Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 05:23 PM

150 posts, read 183,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Marriage to the person you love has NEVER been a guaranteed right.

Do you support the marriage of a man to his mother? Or 2 sisters?
1. So you married your wife or husband without loving them? Wow, that's one beautiful marriage that's gonna last forever

2. I don't know what incest has to do with same sex marriage, but if they want to get married why not? It's not my life it's theirs. I'm against telling people how to live their lives because of what my religion or opinion says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
C'mon up here to Canada. We're a quaint, fun-loving, and eminently sensible people. We've allowed same-sex marriage for a few years now and last I checked, society hasn't crumbled.
I've always wanted to live in Canada. I might consider it

Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Then let the people vote. In most cases when the people vote, marriage wins. For the most part, the only time same-gender "marriage" gets pushed through it's because of a power-grabbing court system.
Except for the states that have VOTED to allow SSM. It is the job of legislatures to pass laws, and it is the job of judges to determine if those laws are constitutional. So far SSM bans are being found to be unconstitutional based on the 14th amendment.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Nature also teaches that homosexuality exists within other species - which to most people of sense, indicates normalcy.

And two loving parents (or one, if circumstances require it) can be of any gender. It sure beats one or two indifferent/drunk/uncommitted parents of opposite genders.

Gay rights and human rights are synonymous - except, apparently, to stone-age thinkers.

And to complete your knowledge base - a family unit consists of two people who love each other.

Try to process the above. You'll be a better person for it just for the attempt.
I think what is seen in nature is not homosexuality but "dominance" behavior as in one male dog riding the back end of another male dog to establish dominance. Man has the ability to think and reason and some to be concerned about their soul because of those attributes while animals do not.

Quote:
We may have stumbled upon the root cause of fundamentalism's anti-gay stance.

I'm not surprised. I mean, they think about it SO much!
Actually, we try not to think about it. But, what, probably a million threads started on [domain blocked due to spam] in nearly every area of the forum dragging it up again and again always hoping for a different outcome? Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You must not study nature very well. Homosexuality is nearly universal among animals. In fact, some species have more homosexuals than heterosexuals and it increased their survival due to more caretakers of offspring being available.
Again, "dominance" behavior. So, homosexuality among humans isn't based on that is it? Perhaps that is what I am not understanding.

Quote:
I've repeatedly said, it is not wise to alter a legal definition of marriage simply because 1% of the population wants it. I don't see a need to do so.
Redefining the word "marriage" is an important issue. Calling it "marriage" makes it seem more morally acceptable which, of course, for those that follow the laws of God, it is not. I would agree with a civil union and believe that all unions should be called civil, reserving the word "marriage" for those joined in holy matrimony. Of course, it is my understanding that it isn't about the legality of the union but in redefining the word "marriage".

Old 01-15-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
At least according to some judges. Where the people have actually voted, they don't agree.
Except for those states that voted to allow SSM.

BTW, people don't get to vote away the civil rights of other citizens.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think what is seen in nature is not homosexuality but "dominance" behavior as in one male dog riding the back end of another male dog to establish dominance. Man has the ability to think and reason and some to be concerned about their soul because of those attributes while animals do not.
Maybe in some animals but not in all. Male black swans form life long pair bonds, That is not dominance behavior.

Quote:
Redefining the word "marriage" is an important issue. Calling it "marriage" makes it seem more morally acceptable which, of course, for those that follow the laws of God, it is not. I would agree with a civil union and believe that all unions should be called civil, reserving the word "marriage" for those joined in holy matrimony. Of course, it is my understanding that it isn't about the legality of the union but in redefining the word "marriage".
The word marriage is the word that all of those legal protections are attached to. All case precedence is for those laws titled marriage.
Churches have holy matrimony, they don't own the word marriage.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:56 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:

There are 3 defining names:

Not dictionary definitions but how it seems to me they are usually used

Holy Matrimony--A man and woman Married in accordance with your Religious belief

Matrimony--A man and Woman married in accordance with a religion you don't believe in

Marriage--Two entities married in accordance with civil laws

Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There are 3 defining names:

Not dictionary definitions but how it seems to me they are usually used

Holy Matrimony--A man and woman Married in accordance with your Religious belief

Matrimony--A man and Woman married in accordance with a religion you don't believe in

Marriage--Two entities married in accordance with civil laws
You forgot Unholy Matrimony, which is a man and woman married in accordance with your religious belief but with outcomes as if they had been married in some perverse mockery of marriage involving, possibly, the blood sacrifice of goats to Satan. That is the way my first marriage worked out; that the church blessed it up front, mattered not a whit ...

In reality, all there is, is marriage (civil or a common-law equivalent); whatever magic fairy dust you care to sprinkle on it doesn't really matter. It's still important to know yourself and your prospective mate, and to choose well, for both parties to be deeply committed and to put hard work into it, and preferably to have lots of good luck as well.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
For many of them, you can have a lawyer write up a contract. For the rest of them, I honestly don't care. It's not a marriage.
Your hate is complete, your sir are a despicable representative of your so called loving god.

You can safely assume that you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

You are an outstanding chargé d'affaires of the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” I suspect your character is so flawed that you are even proud of this.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 01-15-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Thankfully the courts and a large % of the population disagree with you.
For now, this too will change, just like the ban on interracial marriage was stricken from all law books in 1967.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Then let the people vote. In most cases when the people vote, marriage wins. For the most part, the only time same-gender "marriage" gets pushed through it's because of a power-grabbing court system.
If that were the case, our schools would still be segregated, interracial marriage would still be illegal, and women would not have the vote. But I suspect you would be fine with all that, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality