Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
God is supposed to be the wellspring of goodness, the river from which all morality flows.

Therefore, when a being described as the personification of goodness allows the personification of evil to torment a man, we obviously have a problem.
So because God is not "good" in how you perceive "good" to be, he's immoral? Is that it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:49 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So because God is not "good" in how you perceive "good" to be, he's immoral? Is that it?
A being that murders infants is immoral. Yes.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Vizio: "And by what standard of morality are you, a mere puny humanoid creature, to judge an almighty war god who slaughters innocent people every time he wakes up on the wrong side of the crib?"

Old 01-16-2014, 10:38 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Vizio: "Only if its for personal pleasure."

Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
OK. We'll play by your rules for now. What is the list of objective morals by which any act can be judged?
So, Vizio, what's your answer? If you can't or don't want to answer, please specify.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I agree that it's not about Job. It's about the fact that God is sovereign.
So you think it's ok to say God is immoral based on Biblical morality?
I think you're making some assumptions about what I believe Job is about, and my knowledge of the book. I'm trying to figure out what your whole point here is.
Quote:
Quote:
That should make it clear, Vizio. No one has to infer anything about what you believe, Vizio . . . you have stated it yourself many times. Might makes right. God is sovereign. Whatever God does is good. Who are we to question the Almighty God? How can the clay question the potter? etc. etc. It is this travesty of morality that is being questioned, Vizio. It is an abomination to the concept of morality itself that had its birth in ancient ignorance and savagery. Why it has been perpetuated into the 21st century and accepted is an enigma I cannot unravel.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:19 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
I agree that it's not about Job. It's about the fact that God is sovereign.

So you think it's ok to say God is immoral based on Biblical morality?

I think you're making some assumptions about what I believe Job is about, and my knowledge of the book. I'm trying to figure out what your whole point here is.

Not "Biblical morality" - but morals that God has claimed for himself within the Bible in a revealed form within the Bible. I suppose if one believes the Bible to not have anything real to say about God, then it's mere "Biblical morality". If one believes the Bible does say something about God, then it is from a revealed position. Not sure which one you're talking about.

I already made my point in my initial post concerning the Book. You apparently needed clarification - which I gave. I don't know what else to tell you.

My assumption that you haven't really read the Book still stands, especially if you think it's merely about "the fact that God is sovereign". Of course, that's an important point in the book, and it is what sets up the MAIN points of the book - but it is not the only point. The fact that God is sovereign over his Creation is what creates the entire problem of the misuse of Divine Justice and the book's questioning of it through the poetic section.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That should make it clear, Vizio. No one has to infer anything about what you believe, Vizio . . . you have stated it yourself many times. Might makes right. God is sovereign. Whatever God does is good. Who are we to question the Almighty God? How can the clay question the potter? etc. etc. It is this travesty of morality that is being questioned, Vizio. It is an abomination to the concept of morality itself that had its birth in ancient ignorance and savagery. Why it has been perpetuated into the 21st century and accepted is an enigma I cannot unravel.
it's a pity, but his arguments are exactly the same as the three friends in the book - who were condemned by God for making excuses for God. It was Job - the blaspheming challenger of God - who was adduced to have been speaking truth, according to the Book.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
God is great and thank goodness we are saved through what happened at Calgary, these laws are and commandments shows that man has broken at least one, because if you break one it's as if you had broken them all. Thank God for a Savior. we are all sinners and if one says they are not, they are a liar

Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
God is great and thank goodness we are saved through what happened at Calgary, these laws are and commandments shows that man has broken at least one, because if you break one it's as if you had broken them all. Thank God for a Savior. we are all sinners and if one says they are not, they are a liar
I guess that makes your God a sinner as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality