Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:15 PM

484 posts, read 882,217 times

Advertisements

I've been posting on this forum for a few months now so I thought I'd ask these questions:

-What are your religious beliefs?
-How long have you held those views?
-Why did you choose that religion?
-Do you ever seriously question your views?

These questions still apply if you are irreligious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:30 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
- Christian
- All my life
- I didn't choose a religion. I chose to be saved. And the reason is because I wanted to go to Heaven.
- I questioned it once. And received the answer and epiphany I needed. The reality of Heaven and Christ are as real as day and night. Jeremiah 29:13 says it best. "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
That there is a Divine Being that is Bliss...the closer we get to who
we are and where we came from the closer we are to the
awareness of that Truth and Bliss ...
whatever Name you call the Divine....makes no difference.

Question my views?
That the breadth and depth and heighth and length of this Bliss is more than
I have already experienced. No religion can contain It, but
some point to It very well.
I didn't chose to know this I was shown...over 4 decades ago.
Thanks for asking.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:34 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
That the most popular religions are dysfunctional and some are benign.
I believe that Hinduism, Jainism, and Buddism are the better of all (major) religions.
I think that what is more important is how a person follows and understand the religion they claim. Some people take things way to literal, way to old fashioned, distort passages to suit their agenda...and then some read between the lines, see the good messages within; follow those and ignore the rest.
As goes a personal belief IN religion, I have none and overall, I do not care much for the construct of it. However, all religions do hold a few gems of wisdom.

It's developed over the years, but have pretty much viewed things this way since a young adult. Having grown up without religion I had a clean slate to find those views.

As said, I don't subscribe to any single religion.

Not really. I constantly question aspects of my personal spirituality, but very few questions are given serious and/or a lot of thought.
There are a few things like "which is it? Us, nature, the Universe/'god', a collective consciousness?"
However serious that question may be, there is no one to provide a true and accurate answer, so I don't spend much time thinking about it.
I aknowledge the existence of something divine, but what that is and exactly how it works is part of the Great Mystery.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
I've been posting on this forum for a few months now so I thought I'd ask these questions:

These questions still apply if you are irreligious.
Evangelical Christian
Since age 27
God revealed Himself to me
Having been raised in an atheistic/agnostic home, I questioned the belief system in which I was raised. Found it lacking and incorrect after I had a few experiences, which could not be rationally explained. Do I even question my views? I've tried, but it never got very far. Been on religious forums since 2005 and have yet to be hit with anything that would make me question my views. Mostly the anti-God, anti-Bible stuff I have read has been so flakey or incorrect that it has been faith building.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
What makes you the religion that you are (or lack thereof)?

When I realized that Christianity's answers weren't satisfactory. Consequently, I explored other paths for a few decades until I gradually ended up on the one I'm on now.

Think I'll keep going on this one 'til I can't.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:56 PM

670 posts, read 814,841 times
Quote:
I am a Orthoprax Monolatrist Non-Abrahamic Christian who believes in Reincarnation, Karma, and Spirituality.
I do not believe in the Crucifixion as a means of Atonement instead I believe that our deeds and intentions are weighed by the angel of judgement when it's our time to be judged.

Quote:
I've been a Christian my whole life, I was raised protestant but no longer identify with any organized religious groups because none of them share my beliefs.

Quote:
I receive Revelations from my hermaphrodite Goddess who is Christ's Father but she is not the god of the Old Testament.
These Revelations come in the form of Visions, Dreams, and Inspiration.

Quote:
I judge my own beliefs based upon my logic and my Revelations and I trust what my Goddess has revealed to me as truth. However I would never do some thing I felt was wrong if she commanded me to and if she did I would stop worshiping her. She never has though, and so I respect my Goddess and worship her. The god of the Old Testament however I reject as being wicked.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
I'm Jewish.
Quote:
About 6 years. I started formal study with a rabbi 4 years ago, and officially converted to Judaism about 2 years ago.
Quote:
Because its theology, philosophy, and ritual connect me to God better than other religions I've tried, and in following it I find myself to be a better man.
Quote:
Yep. I became Jewish after many years of struggling with my faith and researching religions.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
- Christian
- All my life
- I didn't choose a religion. I chose to be saved. And the reason is because I wanted to go to Heaven.
Being a Christian in exchange of eternal life is selfish.

The question that begs an answer is: Would you be a Christian if there was no prize for you?

Old 01-20-2014, 07:19 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Being a Christian in exchange of eternal life is selfish.

The question that begs an answer is: Would you be a Christian if there was no prize for you?
Is accepting God's gift being selfish? Think about it.

God desires that we accept His gift. Why is that selfish in 25 words or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality