Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 AM

439 posts, read 425,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
In another post today, someone claimed Obama is a Kenyan citizen and that 9/11 was a government conspiracy. While they are free to think that, they should not be free to overthrow the government or not pay taxes or whatever it is they want to do, unless they can successfully establish their contentions with corroborating evidence. It is no different just because we are talking religion.
I don't see the post where someone claimed Obama is a Kenyan citizen?? Or whether or not they think the government should be overthrown and not pay taxes?? Nothing was even remotely said to that nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 11:56 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,307,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know I just don't think 'religion' (and I should say 'religions') has gotten that 'free ride' far from it. It's been attacked, ridiculed, derided, lambasted and used by those who would want the earth and those in it to be their playground involving humanity.
But let me guess - you won't have any real examples to give. Right? Because I would really like to know in what venue you have been "attacked, ridiculed, derided, lambasted, and used" because of your religious beliefs. For all I know, assuming any of those things actually happened, religion wasn't even the cause. If the only place this has occurred has been on message boards, well, that doesn't count either. There are a lot of nasty trolls around who will attack you just for the pleasure of it and couldn't care less about your religion.

But, considering religion is a protected status - and Christians the overwhelming majority in this country - just where did all of those horrible things happen? Did you blunder into an atheist convention by mistake or something? Or are you simply assuming that anyone who attacks you must be an atheist?

Quote:
Ironically, those who judge want to corral and lasso the concept of freedom when it involves beliefs.
Woohoo! And the opposing team puts TWO goals in my net. Yes, you're only proving my point with that statement.

YOU think that, because your religion doesn't have a free pass to do as it pleases, YOU are being denied freedoms.

That is precisely what I'm talking about - how big believers can hoodwink themselves into thinking they're doing something good when, in fact, they're not.

You're essentially saying that not having the freedom to deny other people their freedom - is having your own freedoms "corraled" and "lassoed."

Yeah, that's the kind of argument I hear often from those who would gleefully stand aside and allow their own religion to persecute and discriminate against everyone else. Why, if you can't deny rights and freedoms to homosexuals, for instance, then it is YOU who is the real victim, right? It is YOU who is being denied their freedom, NOT the homosexuals.

This is what I call "Pretzel Logic" - when the tenats of formal logic are twisted in such a way that it almost makes sense .... but doesn't.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,455,376 times
Sorry, bait not taken.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Thanks for proving the point I was making from the very beginning. It's always great when an opposing player scores one for the wrong team
I'm laughing. I don't know why. Maybe because you sound utterly ridiculous. Especially since you thought that entire post was about you. Which it wasn't. I wasn't speaking directly to you, otherwise, I would've "quoted" you. I didn't bother reading your entire post because the first two lines of it were already childish and completely wrong. One day, you will eat your words. Every eye is going to look up and see Jesus coming down on the clouds from heaven. This is not a game. This world has nothing to offer me. I'm just passing through. I will pray for you though, even though you clearly have a lot of anger and/or hatred towards people you know nothing about. All my love to you and your endeavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have to say, Shirina, that you nailed 'im.
In order to nail me, they would actually have to "get me". Which, they have done neither. All my love to you too!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,601,352 times
My brethern of the 'opposing' view..I do not think religion, religions if you will are to be feared. There is no 'takeover' or some 'nefariois' prospects on the agenda at all.

mordant...you don't believe that tripe do you? How can you?

Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
I didn't bother reading your entire post because the first two lines of it were already childish and completely wrong.
LOL!

Yeah, this is what happens when you bite off more than you can chew. For future reference, if you boldly proclaim to the whole forum to "Bring it on!" then you had best be prepared to back up your words.

Running scared to cringe under the bed the moment someone DOES "bring it on" makes you look like an utter fool. So keep right on laughing if it makes you feel better, but I think everyone here knows what's what, and credibility doesn't grow on trees.

Quote:
One day, you will eat your words.
Really? And how would you know? You don't even know what my words are. After all, you just admitted you didn't read them.

Or did you ... and you're just lying about it in the hopes of ducking out of the debate that way? Tin Foil Hat folks are loaded with dishonest debate tactics, so anything is possible.

Quote:
Every eye is going to look up and see Jesus coming down on the clouds from heaven. This is not a game.
Are you sure it will be Jesus? Maybe it will be Alex Jones instead.

Quote:
This world has nothing to offer me. I'm just passing through. I will pray for you though, even though you clearly have a lot of anger and/or hatred towards people you know nothing about. All my love to you and your endeavors.
Then why are you still here? Why bother even posting here? Why not just sit catatonic waiting for your savior to arrive? Have someone stick a feeding tube into you from time to time so you don't starve.

Anyhow, have fun with all of those conspiracies. Just remember: We didn't land on the moon because Al Qaeda is in league with the Zeta Reticuli aliens in Area 51 to keep us away from the JFK assassins who are now living up there with Elvis!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
My brethern of the 'opposing' view..I do not think religion, religions if you will are to be feared. There is no 'takeover' or some 'nefariois' prospects on the agenda at all.
Okay, after that last poster, hopefully we can get serious again.

I don't really think that there is going to be some massive take-over by religion to the point where non-Christians will be thrown into concentration camps or something extreme like that.

But the reality is out there for anyone to look up. The Christian right has been pushing against the walls of freedom since the 1980's, and their ability to get a bunch of anti-gay amendments passed - based largely on religious grounds - shows that they found a weakness in those walls. While I am confident that the American people would eventually put their collective feet down if militant religion went too far - but how much "too far" might be is what I find worrisome.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,467,991 times
Quote:
I find this humorous because everything that was said does not apply to me. This is great =)

I don't know how accurate surveys are, so no, I wouldn't pull up a survey if I felt it would prove you wrong. You apparently don't know me. I'm not that type of person. But now I know who you are. I was very kind and friendly and couldn't understand how I could be such a threat. But now it's very clear, I see so much hate coming out of these posts. Who's to say you guys wouldn't slit my throat if you had the chance? This is truly alarming.

I don't watch FOX, by the way. I don't watch mainstream media because they are puppets. I choose alternative media.

Do you guys not know that it wasn't MY "religious" "title" that caused a war for 11+ years? My beliefs can NOT in any way be compared to Muslims. Do you not know that it was all a plot and 9/11 was a false flag? I can't clump every Christian into the same category as me, but the people who believe as I do know the truth about 9/11. And, if my sources are right, Obama is Muslim and the last I checked he is against Christianity. So there you see it, we are nothing alike.
So as long as you are not inconvenienced or denied freedoms you are good with that. How utterly christian of you, a selfish self-centered self-absorbed worthless ..............d

Guess you are also good with the estimated 100,000 to 1,000,000 people that have died in these wars, again another reason I am damn proud not to be a mindless self-adsorbed willfully ignorant christian

Old 02-05-2014, 01:50 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,088,082 times
That exchange was worth charging admission.

Shirina, too soon to rep again.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Then why are you still here? Why bother even posting here? Why not just sit catatonic waiting for your savior to arrive? Have someone stick a feeding tube into you from time to time so you don't starve.
This is why I will not dance this dance with you...

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Rom 12:19 Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God.

Matt 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Luke 6:27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you.

You have implied that since I choose not to rebuttal means I am in the wrong or can't prove anything. I say that is so far from the truth. I choose to do the right thing for the sake of my soul and to be a good example of what it really means to turn the other cheek. I will no longer exchange words with you. I have said my peace and I will take the higher road and walk away. God bless you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality