Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 03:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times

Advertisements

I wish I could give Shirina a zillion reputation points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Too soon to rep again, Shirina.
Remind me never to get on your bad side.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Too soon to rep again, Shirina.
Remind me never to get on your bad side.
Yeah, I've long ago added her to my Never-Argue-With list.

(She's keeping mordant company now.)

Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
But the reality is out there for anyone to look up. The Christian right has been pushing against the walls of freedom since the 1980's, and their ability to get a bunch of anti-gay amendments passed - based largely on religious grounds - shows that they found a weakness in those walls. While I am confident that the American people would eventually put their collective feet down if militant religion went too far - but how much "too far" might be is what I find worrisome.
That's good then that I see you'd let democracy and the political process take care of it? The nature of the 'multitude' brings us to stuff like this. Different folks, different strokes. Same instance for those who espouse the 'godless' tradition, right? If they're out there their gonna get hit vociferously because some fear that.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:51 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Actually, Christianity seems to be a nice religion compared to the other religions I am aware of.

The Christians feel like they have a personal relationship with Jesus to help them through the tough spots in life. The other religions don't seem to feel as close to their god as the Christians do. Yeah, they have rules to follow and things like that, but the Christians let their god into their heart. I think it is a nice religion for people who need that sort of thing.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 PM

5,902 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Christianity is nice? Really? So nice that if you don't believe it you're going straight to an eternal hell where you will be tortured by fire forever......yeah, that's really sweet.

Here's a great example of the "niceness" of Christianity:

Westboro Baptist Church Home Page

Old 02-06-2014, 03:47 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Christianity is nice? Really? So nice that if you don't believe it you're going straight to an eternal hell where you will be tortured by fire forever......yeah, that's really sweet.
You would think this little caveat would make the choice easy!

Old 02-06-2014, 04:39 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
I don't think the Westboro Baptist church represents the Christians I know. In fact, the ones I know are very much against the fundamentalists.

They seem to take out the good parts of Christianity and feel that Jesus is their close personal savior who will guide them through life, especially when the going is tough.

Like I said, for people who need it, Christianity seems to be a very comforting religion.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I don't think the Westboro Baptist church represents the Christians I know. In fact, the ones I know are very much against the fundamentalists.

They seem to take out the good parts of Christianity and feel that Jesus is their close personal savior who will guide them through life, especially when the going is tough.

Like I said, for people who need it, Christianity seems to be a very comforting religion.
I agree the Westboro buttwipes are not at all reflective of Christianity in general. But they ARE one of the umpteen flavours available at the Christianity smorgasbord. Which, as I suggested in the first post (and you seem to echo in your last line) may well account for its popularity and longevity.

Folks can choose whatever brand of Christianity that best suits their personality, sense of morality, political leaning, hopes etc.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:54 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What I would suggest my friend is this...keep in mind that all religions are man-made and thus unable to be "perfect" or flawless.

God is, however, perfect and incapable of flaws.

Do not let yourself be soured by man's inability to be perfect, just focus instead on a perfect relationship with God himself and ignore the argumentative humans
Good advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality