Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 PM

758 posts, read 846,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Do you not see how you contradict yourself here?

Your premise is that all religions are man made and subject to error.

You then advance your religion, one which holds that there is a god and it is perfect.

But since all religions are man made, so then would yours be, and thus just as subject to error as all the others, meaning that you might be wrong about there being a perfect god.
You cancel yourself.
Religion is phony - man made - powerless & without "promise".

A relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ our savior is based on "promises". I don't have an exact number, but in essence; 9,860 promises are recorded in the bible. I began by Taking God at His Word and acting upon it. Guess what - He always does what he promises!

Basically He Wrote it - I believe it - that settles it (for me).

I've asked for some pretty specific things during a life & death crisis situation many times.

Ask & You Shall Receive. Matthew 7:7a
Seek & You shall Find. Matthew 7:7b
Knock & the door will be.. Matthew 7:7c

NOTICE: The acrostic! = ASK

In the original greek; It is much stronger:
Keep on asking and you will keep on receiving
Keep on searching and you will keep on finding
Keep on knocking and the door will continually be opened

NOTICE: The text does not imply or state (maybe - might - could - perhaps).

It emphatically states -

YOU SHALL RECEIVE

I have had one spectacular incredible adventurous awesome life over a span of more than six decades;
Just by believing God and acting upon His Promises!

Not once; has He ever let me down!

If you have any doubts (in Him) He can't work through you - you are like a wave tossed about the sea to & fro. James 1:6
But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

James 1:5 is perhaps one of the most spectacular verses in all of the bible.
I've used it and shared with many many people - & every single time under impossible conditions - People were able to pass their test(s).

Are you in school or college? Latch on and understand what James 1: 5 says and act upon it. !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 01:03 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,499,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Good point and no. (But I'll try now.)

I just think Christianity has had 2,000 years to get its act together and instead, it has splintered into many thousands of denominations/sub-sects.

I believe that would be impossible if truth was at its core.
Here's my take on it (so many Christian denominations, 'splinters')..... I have come to realize that God is 'smarter' than me (LOL!!) - so I also came to realize that He may have done this 'on purpose'..... so that there would be a 'splintered' church..... and yet, the 'Truth' (regarding Jesus, God, etc) weave through it all, pretty clearly.

Can you imagine if there was a 'Book of Church' -- where chapter one says how to arrange the pews, and chapter two has the job descriptions, and chapter three says.... you get my point. Well, then there might be one big huge single Christian church - and when I compare that idea (or possibility) to the various, different denominations (that largely focus on the same or key 'Truths') with different missions or focus or styles, and yet are not big enough to 'cause trouble' - I think HE really just 'out-smarted' us - again.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Here's my take on it (so many Christian denominations, 'splinters')..... I have come to realize that God is 'smarter' than me (LOL!!) - so I also came to realize that He may have done this 'on purpose'..... so that there would be a 'splintered' church..... and yet, the 'Truth' (regarding Jesus, God, etc) weave through it all, pretty clearly.

Can you imagine if there was a 'Book of Church' -- where chapter one says how to arrange the pews, and chapter two has the job descriptions, and chapter three says.... you get my point. Well, then there might be one big huge single Christian church - and when I compare that idea (or possibility) to the various, different denominations (that largely focus on the same or key 'Truths') with different missions or focus or styles, and yet are not big enough to 'cause trouble' - I think HE really just 'out-smarted' us - again.
Here is my take on this:

Satan is bent on destroying anything God does!

That is his modus operandi

S.O.P. standard opeating procedure FOR THE son of perdition.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:36 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,167,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
Religion is phony - man made - powerless & without "promise".

A relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ our savior is based on "promises". I don't have an exact number, but in essence; 9,860 promises are recorded in the bible. I began by Taking God at His Word and acting upon it. Guess what - He always does what he promises!

Basically He Wrote it - I believe it - that settles it (for me).

I've asked for some pretty specific things during a life & death crisis situation many times.

Ask & You Shall Receive. Matthew 7:7a
Seek & You shall Find. Matthew 7:7b
Knock & the door will be.. Matthew 7:7c

NOTICE: The acrostic! = ASK

In the original greek; It is much stronger:
Keep on asking and you will keep on receiving
Keep on searching and you will keep on finding
Keep on knocking and the door will continually be opened

It emphatically states -

YOU SHALL RECEIVE

I have had one spectacular incredible adventurous awesome life over a span of more than six decades;

If you have any doubts (in Him) He can't work through you - you are like a wave tossed about the sea to & fro. James 1:6
But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

James 1:5 is perhaps one of the most spectacular verses in all of the bible.
I've used it and shared with many many people - & every single time under impossible conditions - People were able to pass their test(s).

Are you in school or college? Latch on and understand what James 1: 5 says and act upon it. !!!
Stupid kid..should have had Atkutuq teach her to ask properly.

4 Month Old Baby Raped To Death After Mother Invited Boyfriend To Come Sexually Torture Her // Mr. Conservative
Baby Ashlynn died after Jordan Lafayette Prince sexually tortured and then strangled her to death.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 AM

19,941 posts, read 13,433,516 times
Quote:

Funny, that didn't work out for me at all, or a lot of people I know. "Faith maketh not ashamed", it says in the KJV, but boy, I found it mighty humiliating.

The only other person on these forums to unequivocally state that god's instructions / promises ALWAYS work is MissHepburn. I don't believe either one of you, although I think you both believe yourselves. Selective attention can work wonders here. I'd ask either one of you, if it ALWAYS works, why don't you go empty out some hospitals, move a few mountains, raise a few dead people, and then get back to us?

Old 02-09-2014, 11:58 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,686,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Funny, that didn't work out for me at all, or a lot of people I know. "Faith maketh not ashamed", it says in the KJV, but boy, I found it mighty humiliating.

The only other person on these forums to unequivocally state that god's instructions / promises ALWAYS work is MissHepburn. I don't believe either one of you, although I think you both believe yourselves. Selective attention can work wonders here. I'd ask either one of you, if it ALWAYS works, why don't you go empty out some hospitals, move a few mountains, raise a few dead people, and then get back to us?
Because they are the "special people". God doesn't waste his time on heathens, whether they are starving children, cancer patients, or accident victims. They don't deserve help.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Well you have hit the nail right on the head ! It didn't work for you at all - So therefore: I must be doing something wrong. Its my fault hospitals are full and evil is prevalent in the world today.

Thank you so much for your incredible (lack of) wisdom!

God answers every prayer - sometimes he says NO! You just didn't hear him!

Thank you so much for introducing me to MissHepburn; I can't wait to speak with her.

Did you know ? Adults are not allowed into heaven ??

I doubt you can grasp the significance of that simple statement.

God has said no to me plenty of times. I do all I can in my world of the people I come into contact with.

Jesus said plainly: The poor you will always have with you.. The sick - Those in prison - widows - orphans. etc.
Jesus said plainly - I call my sheep by name - they hear my voice.

We - (you & I) do not wrestle against flesh & blood - but against spiritual wickedness in high places.

There in is the sole reason for the horrific events in our world. Quit blaming God!

Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,686,980 times
Quote:
Well you have hit the nail right on the head ! It didn't work for you at all - So therefore: I must be doing something wrong. Its my fault hospitals are full and evil is prevalent in the world today.

Thank you so much for introducing me to MissHepburn; I can't wait to speak with her.

God has said no to me plenty of times. I do all I can in my world of the people I come into contact with.

Jesus said plainly: The poor you will always have with you.. The sick - Those in prison - widows - orphans. etc.
Jesus said plainly - I call my sheep by name - they hear my voice.

We - (you & I) do not wrestle against flesh & blood - but against spiritual wickedness in high places.

There in is the sole reason for the horrific events in our world. Quit blaming God!
Then your statement conflicts with your previous post:

Quote:

It emphatically states -

YOU SHALL RECEIVE
You can't have it both ways. Its a very convenient answer to say that sometimes God says no. And I suspect he says no at the same rate as I don't get what I want without praying. So, what difference does it make to pray then? What mordant was trying to point out is, if you always get what you ask for, why not pray for God to heal all of the patients in the local hospitals, especially the cancer wards of the Children's Hospitals?

Old 02-09-2014, 01:56 PM

19,941 posts, read 13,433,516 times
Quote:
I said no such thing. It's not your fault at all. However ... if you ALWAYS receive what you ask god for (note that you did NOT claim that god always answers prayer, but that if a Christian asks, they always receive, without exception) and given that ameliorating human suffering is not "asking amiss" ... show me how you receive EVERY time you ask, by using it on something really definitive. As a bonus, you get to make the world a better place.
Quote:
You're welcome!!
Quote:
Don't be moving the goalposts now, especially with the old non-sequitur that god answers all prayers -- yes, no, not right now. That is identical to admitting that answers to prayers are indistinguishable from random happenstance. I don't think you really want to go there.
Quote:
Alas, I doubt that she will meet with your approval, doctrinally speaking, as she's the near-opposite of a fundamentalist. New-age patina over Christian terminology. But a sweet lady to be sure, and equally convinced, albeit for different reasons, that her system of understanding god, though different from yours, ALWAYS works. I leave it as an exercise for you to figure out how that could possibly be.
Quote:

Actually, as a former fundamentalist, I know very well about "being like a little child" to enter the KINGDOM OF heaven, which is not at all saying the same thing as heaven itself. But I doubt being childish is actually a good omen for either one.
Quote:
Proving my point quite precisely that it's not actually true that everything you've ever asked god for, you invariably have received, without exception.
Quote:
I think that's your expansion, not his. He only spoke of the poor. But *ahem* IN CONTEXT, he was contrasting the limited (today and today only!) opportunity to interact personally with him in that day, and was not, I think, suggesting indifference to the plight of the poor.
Quote:

I do not accuse god of personally raping women, taking food from starving children, etc. In fact, given my unbelief, I'm not accusing god of anything other than not existing. However, I am simply pointing out that your perfectly benevolent, all powerful, all loving god cannot logically coexist with even one instance of human suffering, much less the massif CF of suffering that exists in this world. Either he doesn't know about it, can't do anything about it, and/or doesn't care about it. And that's letting him rather massively off the hook, because it's not even addressing his failure to PREVENT and his willingness to TOLERATE it in the first place.

As to all horrors being the result of human sin, please rethink that and ask yourself if you can really support such a claim. Tsunamis and other natural disasters (ironically called "acts of god" in general recognition of this fact) Just Happen. They are not because of sin, unless you want to allege that your god sends them as punishments, in which case, we're back to demonstrating that he is neither benevolent nor holy. If a human ruler had the power to do such things and did so, we would start another world war if need be to take him down.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:06 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,207,332 times
Quote:
God answers every prayer - sometimes he says NO!
Seriously???? This is a huge copout used by most religions to explain why people should be helped and aren't. It's disgusting and deceitful that this copout is used time and time again to justify, children starving and dying in this world amongst other atrocities...because your God said NO.

Do you seriously think ANYONE, with a modicum of common sense and decency, would want to actually follow this God and worship it??? A God who says NO to innocent children???

It goes without saying, that I think you already know exactly what I think about you and your version of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality