Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:04 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

MovieToMovement - Welcome!

This is a movie to movement thing and I think it is great. They have a lot of Christian and good value movies that they are making. I get their newsletters. They tell of good movies coming out and how to support them. Without support they can't make more good entertainment.

I think a lot of movies based on the bible are coming out this year like "Noah" and many churches are getting their members to go. It's a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 03:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I will not be seeing the Noah movie.

It perpetuates the fairy tales made up by primitive, childish minds that the Creator
is some murderous Being.
Everyone knew Superman and Thor were just entertainment. Big difference.

This movie is dangerous to me, bec people will believe it as true.

However, if it influences simple minds to not rob me bec of some fear of God, good,
I hope they all see it.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:06 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
At least church goers can rest in peace knowing their leaders are putting all their tithing money to the good use of going to the movies rather than helping the hungry.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 02-17-2014 at 06:23 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
MovieToMovement - Welcome!

This is a movie to movement thing and I think it is great. They have a lot of Christian and good value movies that they are making. I get their newsletters. They tell of good movies coming out and how to support them. Without support they can't make more good entertainment.

I think a lot of movies based on the bible are coming out this year like "Noah" and many churches are getting their members to go. It's a great idea.
It's fine for people to band together to have their share of input into the kinds of entertainment that is made. Much of the empty and pointless entertainment that exists is not because evil and greedy movie producers would rather make garbage, but because people are willing to pay for garbage. I have no issue with people unwilling to pay for garbage find ways to show what they ARE willing to pay for.

On the other hand, we likely have different definitions of what constitutes "garbage" because in the real world, there are realities that need to be examined and not ignored, and some of those are disturbing or unpleasant. Artists have always felt a mission to draw attention to these aspects of life, not usually to titillate or arouse prurient interest, but more in the spirit of novelist Gore Vidal, who, when asked what his purpose as an author was, said, "to disturb". In other words if organizations like movie-to-movement had all their dreams come true such that everything was G-rated and Bible-approved, our entertainment would never challenge us or point out our inconsistencies or inspire us to anything greater. A totally G-rated entertainment world would simply be a fantasyland into which we could escape from the realities of life.

In the real world, people drink themselves to oblivion, have random sex, get sick, including mentally sick, kill people, victimize and control others, and do things that are unfair and often disgusting. I'm all for young children who are not ready to handle such realities, being protected from movies by a rating system. But I am not for the kind of thing I recently saw in watching a classic silent movie, in which sex could only be suggested and murder could only happen off-screen. There is a place for unflinching depictions, and artists should not be repressed or sanctioned for giving rise to "disturbing" art -- other than people not paying to see art that is disturbing purely for disturbing's sake. In general, people won't pay for art with no moral vision. And even the subcultures that are willing to do that, probably need to hit their personal bottom and get a clue, such that legislating that sort of art away probably does more long term harm than good (in most cases).

Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I will not be seeing the Noah movie.

It perpetuates the fairy tales made up by primitive, childish minds that the Creator
is some murderous Being.
Everyone knew Superman and Thor were just entertainment. Big difference.

This movie is dangerous to me, bec people will believe it as true.

However, if it influences simple minds to not rob me bec of some fear of God, good,
I hope they all see it.
I'm with you. A giant screen rendition of men, women and children running from a massive flood, sent by God, stumbling and falling before the water sweeps them away to their death by drowning. Parents separated from their children. A child holding onto his mother torn from her embrace by the force of the water.

Meanwhile....... back on the Ark....... the lucky few are feeding the ducks and scratching the ponies behind the ears. Maybe someone gets a ride on the back of an elephant while they drift around on the water that covers thousands of dead bodies. I doubt the director will have a shot of all the dead bodies that have become bloated and floated to the surface.

No thanks. If someone wants to take the kids to eat popcorn and watch brutal death and destruction after church..... I'm sure they will. One can only imagine what the kids are told when they wake up with nightmares, "They deserved to die Billy Jean. They weren't living according to the Lord. They were sinners so God killed 'em all. Ain't God wondrous in His works?"

Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I'm with Dew.

As my favourite guru once said: "You can include me out."

Old 02-17-2014, 03:52 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm with you. A giant screen rendition of men, women and children running from a massive flood, sent by God, stumbling and falling before the water sweeps them away to their death by drowning. Parents separated from their children. A child holding onto his mother torn from her embrace by the force of the water.
Meanwhile....... back on the Ark....... the lucky few are feeding the ducks and scratching the ponies behind the ears. Maybe someone gets a ride on the back of an elephant while they drift around on the water that covers thousands of dead bodies. I doubt the director will have a shot of all the dead bodies that have become bloated and floated to the surface.
No thanks. If someone wants to take the kids to eat popcorn and watch brutal death and destruction after church..... I'm sure they will. One can only imagine what the kids are told when they wake up with nightmares, "They deserved to die Billy Jean. They weren't living according to the Lord. They were sinners so God killed 'em all. Ain't God wondrous in His works?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm with Dew.
As my favourite guru once said: "You can include me out."
I am a movie special effects "Wh*re" . . . so while I embrace the principles expressed by Dew (and mordant, et al.) . . . I will probably attend the flick. I can rationalize it as "getting to know the opposing mentality better."

Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 PM

I don't think Movie to Movement has "Noah" as one of the movies they are promoting. I think that is Hollywood and yes they want to put in all the violence and killing they can to sell tickets. That is what sells tickets. Hollywood will promote all the violent parts of the bible before the tame, peaceful things.

There are many stories from the bible being made into movies and I bet they will all be violent. The crucifixion wasn't tame by any means but it is the most important story to Christians. If you want to talk about the importance of including violence and reality in movies that would be it. Many churches go to those movies in groups and promote them. It's the movies that has violence for violence sake that is condemned.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:09 PM

Default Movie to Movement poster

Old 02-18-2014, 01:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
. . . I will probably attend the flick.
If you do, please be sure to give us your review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality