Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:02 PM

69 posts, read 272,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Do out of body experiences count?

-Just curious.
Astral travel IS out of body experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 11:04 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,220,825 times
I don't believe in out of body experiences either.
Except for dreams that is, but since I dream within my body it can't be considered out of my body.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:35 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,653,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Yeah, well, I'm a doubting Thomas. I won't believe ya unless I've experienced it myself.
So I'm not sayin' it ain't possible, just that I don't believe in Astral travelling until I've experienced it myself.
You should be. The problem with this type of experience is the lack of physical proof. I can relate to you all the times I've done it, where I went, what I saw, etc, but there is, and cannot be, anything verifiable.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,125 times
Yep it's real alright. Astral travel aka astral projection aka out of body experience etc.--all peas of the same pod. Can be spontaneous or induced by a number of methods and from a number of states (ie. hypnogogic, dream, lucidity, trance etc.). Can be verified. Has been studied/tested at universities on both coasts. Papers have been published by the parapsychology depts. of several schools. Lots of books--though many of the last 15-20 years are commercials to sell you something. Not to be confused with Remote Viewing--which our government as well as others spent millions on over the years. Robert Monroe (he's dead now) came up with the "out of body experience" phrase in the late 50s because he said "astral projection" sounded too occult. It's still used tho.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:37 AM

245 posts, read 624,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Do I seem bewildered?
I often get in a trancelike state when I sculpt.
When I sculpt my brain often tries to solve an abstract problem by focusing on it, while my hands work 'on their own' on my sculpture.

Normally my brain runs at a 100 m/h, and only when I sculpt do I find it necessary to slow down a bit. So only through sculpting or sleeping do my brains stop running a 100 m/h.
man do I know that feeling, expeceily when it starts to realy resemble whats in my head, then hours can by with me telling myself "I'll quit when I get this part done" on astrial projection though, when I was in my late teens I would sometimes put myself beyound exhaustian and then kinda meditate, it was always the same thing I would rise straight up and keep going untill I could no longer distinguish earth then I would freak and 'fall' back down. don't know if it was some kind of hulicination or not but it was weird

Old 03-01-2008, 07:14 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,611,409 times
I don't believe in astral travel because we don't have anything to travel with. In order for this to be real there would have to be a soul or some essence of our conscious mind that can detach itself from our bodies and go out for a joy ride. When I'm dreaming I'm always imagining myself flying through the air and having vivid images of the landscape below. It's been the most common dream of my life but it's still only a dream and it's just going on inside of my brain. I'm very skeptical of those who claim they just lie down and astral project at will. If that were really the case why hasn't someone actually done something useful like locate missing hikers lost in a blizzard and report that information to the authorities? All I've ever read on the subject appears to be hyped up stories with zero credibility.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,449,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't believe in astral travel because we don't have anything to travel with. In order for this to be real there would have to be a soul or some essence of our conscious mind that can detach itself from our bodies and go out for a joy ride. When I'm dreaming I'm always imagining myself flying through the air and having vivid images of the landscape below. It's been the most common dream of my life but it's still only a dream and it's just going on inside of my brain. I'm very skeptical of those who claim they just lie down and astral project at will. If that were really the case why hasn't someone actually done something useful like locate missing hikers lost in a blizzard and report that information to the authorities? All I've ever read on the subject appears to be hyped up stories with zero credibility.
I agree with you. From what I gather about the mind, it is the sole collector of thoughts, ideas, perceptions, and any other thing you may want to consider "awareness". When I hear about astral travel I am inclined to think that it's quite odd that people are detaching themselves from their mind, floating around in some sort of other-worldly state, collecting and interpreting data, and then returning to their bodies and then letting their mind process all the data. It seems to me, that the mind is projecting these thoughts outwards. The mind is still doing 'something' in regards to all of this and I think that's an important thing to recognize. Do I think it's possible to restrict one's mind to the most fundamental of involuntary procedures such as lowering body temperatures and what not? Yes, I do, but then that only leads me back to square one in which it's been well evidenced that people with lack of sleep, or air, or other necessary body functions begin to hallucinate. In other words, the hallucination is real to them because that's all the mind can process at the time. It's a false perception of reality given to us by our wonderful, powerful minds. Is it therapeutic for many to do this? Well, I suppose it must be but I'm not quite sure I'm jumping on the bandwagon of Astral Travel just yet.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:31 AM

7,994 posts, read 12,261,676 times
Default Here goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

All I've ever read on the subject appears to be hyped up stories with zero credibility.
I just know I am so going to regret this post....

June is curious about the "zero credibility" factor.

June has experienced out of body experiences.

The first time I had an out of body experience I came away from it seriously questioning whether or not I had been dreaming, despite the fact that I knew that I had been awake. I also wondered whether I had experienced some sort of brief psychotic episode, despite the fact that I knew I was in no way psychotic or prone to psychosis. It was absolutely among the strangest and most unexplainable things I have ever experienced. When it occurred again, a second and third time, I remember "reality testing" with myself: Specifically catching and asking myself in the time that it was happening whether I was awake, was I dreaming, was I oriented to time and place, etc.

Trust me: I'm not crazy, and to this day I still cannot fully account for what occurred...

???

Old 03-01-2008, 08:41 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,633,479 times
The United States actually spent money studying "remote viewing" to see if they could spy on other countries with out having to physically be in that location. I think if the OP posed this question in a different forum, like "Other Topics" we'd see a broader scope of responses.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,347,963 times
haven't had a lot of occupation with astro travel contemplation.
every morning on the sahara, when the sun comes up, the slowest antelope
has got to outrun the fastest lion, been like that for me the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality