Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Second child of faith-healing couple dies after no medical care sought - CBS News

These people have murdered two of their own children all in the name of religious ignorance. Two children are dead and only they know how much they suffered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
This story is nearly a year old, so I wondered what ended up happing. For once, relatively swift and decisive, if rather lenient, justice:

Philadelphia parents Herbert, Catherine Schaible sentenced in son's 'prayer death' | 6abc.com

3.5 to 7 years in the klink for them both. Part of the judge's ruling:

"April of 2013 wasn't Brandon's time to die," Lerner said, noting the violence committed throughout human history in the name of religion. "You've killed two of your children. ... Not God. Not your church. Not religious devotion. You."

Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Isn't this a rehash of something that was talked about many months ago? Why continue to repost this stuff?

yes...some parents are idiots. Many of them are also religious. I've known plenty of non-churchgoing parents that neglect and abuse their kids...should I say all atheists are horrible?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:27 PM

115 posts, read 135,197 times
Wow, these two religious nuts killed not one, but two of their kids???

3.5 to 7 years in the big house doesn't seem nearly long enough for these horribly misguided losers...

Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Isn't this a rehash of something that was talked about many months ago? Why continue to repost this stuff?

yes...some parents are idiots. Many of them are also religious. I've known plenty of non-churchgoing parents that neglect and abuse their kids...should I say all atheists are horrible?
But your god set up his son to be killed over 2000 years ago, according to your ancient legend, and you rehash it constantly.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:43 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But your god set up his son to be killed over 2000 years ago, according to your ancient legend, and you rehash it constantly.
wow.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM

995 posts, read 955,630 times
Quote:
wow.
He's got a great point. It was the doctrine of the Bible that condemned Jesus(and everybody else) to die, yet Christians think all of those countless victims of Moses/YHWH/ and the Bible deserved to die. Christians thank YHWH for "sending his son to die", and they think the doctrine that condemned him to die is Holy. It is no more or less murderously insane than letting these two innocent kids die.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:

You're of course absolutely correct, but the troubling difference is that the religious ones have "god" on their side helping and instructing them to make these decisions. That just makes one wonder how "god" could be so wrongly understood by so many in this world. I think organized religion is a major player in this problem personally.

We've had much harm done in the name of "god" since the beginning of time....probaby way more than done by "non-believers" wouldn't you say ? Think witch trials, inquisition...even Hitler, if memory serves me right claimed to be doing gods will.

If a "non-believer" makes such a bad decision, we kind of figure he/she is a nut and we can deal with that as need be....but a nut with god on his side is generally much more dangerous since their level of committment and certainty they are doing right is generally about 110%.

Last edited by jasper1372; 02-20-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 03:50 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
You're of course absolutely correct, but the troubling difference is that the religious ones have "god" on their side helping and instructing them to make these decisions.
No, these faith healing wackos do not have God on their side, nor are they honoring Him. What they have are "faith healing" loopholes and exemptions in states' legislation that allow parents to use "faith healing" as a legal defense. Oregon recently removed this from their books. Other states need to follow suit. That will stop a large proportion of this. I won't name names but one so called "church" lobbies and pressures state legislators to enact and keep these loopholes and exemptions. In states bold enough to reverse these ridiculous laws it is helping.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2009111400042

Last edited by Cephas40; 02-20-2014 at 04:54 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 04:10 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
No, these faith healing wackos do not have God on their side, nor are they honoring Him. What they have are "faith healing" loopholes and exemptions in states' legislation that allow parents to use "faith healing" as a legal defense. Oregon recently removed this from their laws. Other states need to follow suit. That will stop a large proportion of this. I won't name names but one so called "church" lobbies and pressures state legislators to enact and keep these loopholes and exemptions. It's helping in states bold enough to reverse these ridiculous laws.
James 5:14-16 makes it sound a lot like they were doing exactly what God told them to do (or if that doesn't work, there are other references that seem to encourage faith healing).

Last edited by Clintone; 02-20-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality