Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 11:57 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Since public education is a government entity, religious views of teachers/professors are irrelevant, having to conform with governmental guidelines. Private medical practices or private schools shouldn't be exempt. For example, a doctor shouldn't be forced to perform an abortion or circumcision.
Which they don't do, anywhere. Even without a law such as this.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:59 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Which they don't do, anywhere. Even without a law such as this.
You're right. In these cases the law would be redundant.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That's a mis-characterization of the law. The law does not provide for discrimination toward any individual or group of individuals.
True. If protects those who choose to discriminate based on their religious beliefs. It gives the A-OK to all the people who believe gays are sinning perverts to deny them service. Gays will have no recourse in a court of law. They aren't a protected class in AZ and this law takes away even MORE rights from them. The group behind this law is the Center for Arizona Policy which is a far-right lobby group masquerading as an educational charity. They specialize in being anti-LGBT and trying to deny women their right to have an abortion. Yep. They specialize in keeping people from having their rights under the laws.

Gays are being told "You're different". The people who support this law are telling the LGBT community they are a separate class of people. They can be legally turned away from being served in any business that wants to pull the religion card. And the people who would turn them away would have special permission to do it.

In the 50's it was the Blacks who were told they couldn't sit at the lunch counter. With this bill the fundamentalists get to tell the gays the same thing. Woo-hoo. Discrimination! Praise Jesus! (Who didn't discriminate but who cares about Jesus when the Believers can tell a Gay man he has to leave.)

It's most certainly discrimination. It's just cloaked in religion to protect the bigots.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
True. If protects those who choose to discriminate based on their religious beliefs. It gives the A-OK to all the people who believe gays are sinning perverts to deny them service. Gays will have no recourse in a court of law. They aren't a protected class in AZ and this law takes away even MORE rights from them. The group behind this law is the Center for Arizona Policy which is a far-right lobby group masquerading as an educational charity.

Gays are being told "You're different". The people who support this law are telling the LGBT community they are a separate class of people. They can be legally turned away from being served in a restaurant. And the people who would turn them away would have special permission to do it.

It's most certainly discrimination. It's just cloaked in religion to protect the bigots.
I'm not sure there is really a lot of talk about restaurant owners turning away services. I think this is more about a Christian being forced to bake a wedding cake for 2 men.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:11 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
True. If protects those who choose to discriminate based on their religious beliefs. It gives the A-OK to all the people who believe gays are sinning perverts to deny them service. Gays will have no recourse in a court of law. They aren't a protected class in AZ and this law takes away even MORE rights from them. The group behind this law is the Center for Arizona Policy which is a far-right lobby group masquerading as an educational charity. They specialize in being anti-LGBT and trying to deny women their right to have an abortion. Yep. They specialize in keeping people from having their rights under the laws.

Gays are being told "You're different". The people who support this law are telling the LGBT community they are a separate class of people. They can be legally turned away from being served in any business that wants to pull the religion card. And the people who would turn them away would have special permission to do it.

In the 50's it was the Blacks who were told they couldn't sit at the lunch counter. With this bill the fundamentalists get to tell the gays the same thing. Woo-hoo. Discrimination! Praise Jesus! (Who didn't discriminate but who cares about Jesus when the Believers can tell a Gay man he has to leave.)

The highlighted sentence is demagogic, as does Kirsten Powers' article. This article explains it rather well.

Kirsten Powers Demagogues on Religious Liberty, Again

Old 02-26-2014, 03:30 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not sure there is really a lot of talk about restaurant owners turning away services. I think this is more about a Christian being forced to bake a wedding cake for 2 men.
No, it's about Christians over-reaching. They're mad that a court might rule that a Christian will have to do business with gays in one specific case, so they went ballistic and created a law allowing all Christians to discriminate against gays everywhere in the state of Arizona.

But here's the laugh riot of this whole issue:

Notice that the bill does NOT mention gays anywhere in the text? Have you taken note of that? Now, why do you suppose that is? Oh c'mon now, I know you know ...

Yes, it's because a bill that targeted a specific group of people for discrimination would never make constitutional muster. The Christians did the exact same thing with all of the gay marriage ban amendments - they did not mention either religion OR homosexuals in the amendments themselves to avoid falling prey to constitutional arguments. Of course, we ALL know that religion is targeting gays, but thanks to semantics and legal wrangling, Christians are able to circumvent the Constitution to get their discriminatory, barbaric, and primitive laws pushed through.

(The fact that they would even WANT to circumvent the Constitution speaks volumes all by itself)

The end result, as if this isn't the epitome of irony, is that the bill refuses to mention homosexuals because they know that discrimination is bad ... so they have to avoid discriminating against gays in a bill meant to discriminate against gays. How's that for stupidity in the Arizona state legislature?

Old 02-26-2014, 03:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Probably so. But since when do public businesses get to pick and choose who they serve? If the business said it was a Catholic bakery that only provided services to Catholics and was on Catholic property, I'd have little issue with it. But this isn't about religion, or else these bakers who don't want to provide a wedding cake for two men would be interviewing customers and turning away those who were agnostic, Muslim, Jewish, etc. But they aren't. It's all about them personally not like gay people, and they want to discriminate under the cover of religion.

I remember the reverse situation back in the '90s when a gay bar was not allowing heterosexuals into the bar. They were appropriately fined for discrimination.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I'm not sure there is really a lot of talk about restaurant owners turning away services.
There is in Arizona.

In fact denying services is a much-used talking point for the supporters of the bill. (As is evidenced by PastorAl's link to FOX.) Their spin is that a gay owner of a printing shop would have the right to turn away the Westboro Baptist Church. Wash, rinse, repeat as needed in front of whatever microphone is put in front of them.

Though how they've decided that that gay owner would refuse service because of his religion is known only to the convoluted minds who have decided this bill is a good idea.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Probably so. But since when do public businesses get to pick and choose who they serve? If the business said it was a Catholic bakery that only provided services to Catholics and was on Catholic property, I'd have little issue with it. But this isn't about religion, or else these bakers who don't want to provide a wedding cake for two men would be interviewing customers and turning away those who were agnostic, Muslim, Jewish, etc. But they aren't. It's all about them personally not like gay people, and they want to discriminate under the cover of religion.

I remember the reverse situation back in the '90s when a gay bar was not allowing heterosexuals into the bar. They were appropriately fined for discrimination.
Since all of human history up until 50 years ago.
Back in the day...do you think you could just walk into a saloon or general store or any other private business where you weren't wanted (for whatever reason) and demand they serve you? Well, I guess you could have made demands like that...but I bet not getting served would have been the least of your problems after that.

If I don't want you in my business...I'm not giving you any reason...just the demand that you leave. If you wanna threaten to sue me because of that, even actually sue me for that...go for it. But you still aren't getting in.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
But since when do public businesses get to pick and choose who they serve?
OK, here are two simple questions for you:

1) If you owned a bakery and a customer came in dressed in a full Nazi uniform, would you sell him a cookie?

1) If you owned a bakery and a lady came in and wanted a cake made with a swastika on it, would you make her such a cake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality