Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling a little sinful right now.

I quoted Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Quote:
11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.
Apparently I upset some people and now I'm feeling penitent. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

Is it a sin to poke fun at some rather ridiculous/funny parts of the Bible?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Like making fun of people talking in tongues? I do that all the time. Playing Bible Fight, it cracked me up. I used to get a kick out of all the asses in the bible too when I was younger. I must have a burning hell waiting for me.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Honestly I think your idea of humor, theirs and mine are very different.

In my opinion you are not only making fun of the words in a sacred book which is the Bible you are making fun of those who read the Bible and believe in God.
I personally did not find your thread humorous at all but I did not voice that opinion on the thread either.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Like making fun of people talking in tongues? I do that all the time. Playing Bible Fight, it cracked me up. I used to get a kick out of all the asses in the bible too when I was younger. I must have a burning hell waiting for me.
Now that you mention it the seat of my chair IS heating up a little.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It is the wrong thing to do. Some people take the bible very seriously and we should respect that.

In my mind, quoting passages is fine.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

In my opinion you are not only making fun of the words in a sacred book which is the Bible you are making fun of those who read the Bible and believe in God.
I personally did not find your thread humorous at all but I did not voice that opinion on the thread either.
But...but..but the verse just begs to to be commented on. Was what I wrote really that awful? I may have to seriously reconsider my sense of humor, I suppose.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
I'm feeling a little sinful right now.

I quoted Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Apparently I upset some people and now I'm feeling penitent. I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

Perhaps you should ask Jews if poking fun at them is sinful since you are mocking the Torah. Mock the NT. Then you are in Christian territory.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Who wants to serve a God who has no humor. I've always heard that when God laughs, it's never funny. The heck. I'd sure hate to be God. If we were to know everything and we end up like God, that means that the more you know, the more sober and dismal you are. Maybe God's depressed? Have you asked him? He sure comes across that way in the bible. Depressed and dejected.

The idea of supply and demand is a very powerful idea, but laughing at supply demand jokes (if they exist) doesn't diminish from the power of supply and demand. Same with God.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
It is the wrong thing to do. Some people take the bible very seriously and we should respect that.

In my mind, quoting passages is fine.
2 to 1. I will seriously consider what I poke fun at.

But...hehe.....the verse IS really funny.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:02 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
But...but..but the verse just begs to to be commented on. Was what I wrote really that awful? I may have to seriously reconsider my sense of humor, I suppose.
In reality there are many things that beg to be commented on but the best way to handle "some" of those things are to voice no opinion at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Who wants to serve a God who has no humor. I've always heard that when God laughs, it's never funny. The heck. I'd sure hate to be God. If we were to know everything and we end up like God, that means that the more you know, the more sober and dismal you are. Maybe God's depressed? Have you asked him? He sure comes across that way in the bible. Depressed and dejected.

The idea of supply and demand is a very powerful idea, but laughing at supply demand jokes (if they exist) doesn't diminish from the power of supply and demand. Same with God.

I think you are missing the point entirely. I do not know what God himself finds funny.
All I know is that many humans believe in God and feel as I do that the Bible is a sacred book and not to be used as a book of jokes.
If you don't feel that way that is fine with me and it is your choice.
I happen to feel and believe differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality