Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,138 times

Advertisements

Well sorry for the late response, I have a mother in the hospital so...

Guys, does it really matter to you Mordant and UsAll what I say? I can tell in your posts that it won't make a difference at all in your point of view on God or Christianity. Truth was that I had no idea what to say to Mordant. I don't see God as any of those things. Cosmic Candy Machine? Really?

Right now, I have better things to worry about. And if I offended you Mordant, I apologize. I don't wish to fight, I was only sharing my personal thoughts on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 06:01 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post

Guys, does it really matter to you Mordant and UsAll what I say? I can tell in your posts that it won't make a difference at all in your point of view on God or Christianity. Truth was that I had no idea what to say to Mordant. I don't see God as any of those things. Cosmic Candy Machine? Really?

Right now, I have better things to worry about. And if I offended you Mordant, I apologize. I don't wish to fight, I was only sharing my personal thoughts on the subject.

Hoping for the welfare and well-being, or otherwise the best possible outcome, for your mother, Sandra. I lost my mother in 2008 and my father in 1996.

As to your latest comment: Well, this is the very nature of a public debate forum. The thread we are participating in takes place within the all-encompassing "Religion and Spirituality" forum, where it is condoned by the C-D administrators to have active & open (yet otherwise respectful) debate. If we each just want to talk with our own kindred or like-minded spirits (people who only think as we do), we go to the appropriate sub-forum (i.e., Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Atheism and Agnosticism, et al) . . . yet we are directed by the C-D administrators to not come in to a "Religion and Spirituality" sub-forum with the intent of actively proselytizing against the core of that sub-forum's worldview. But when one comes into the all-encompassing, general-purpose "Religion and Spirituality" forum at-large, it is to be expected that, if one makes challenges or pointed remarks, they "might" be challenged. And if one chooses to make "hit-and-run"-type attacks, it should not be expected to reflect well on that contributor's worldview or stance (except perhaps by their own partisans). It can be reasonably expected that if a question such as "Has God ever broken a promise?" is posted on an all-encompassing, general-purpose "Religion and Spirituality" forum at-large, there are going to be contrasting worldviews and viewpoints presented there and, if some persons (whomever . . . it could be you or I or anyone else) make challenges or strong stances or engages in what might be perceived as condescension, don't be surprised if it is challenged by some (if not more-than-some). That is what the purpose of such a forum is: a contrasting and debating forum within the larger "marketplace of ideas", with the hope that "the truth" or at least some "basic truths" might emerge out of it all. You said "I can tell in your posts that it won't make a difference at all in your point of view on God or Christianity." I myself do not actually come to such forums to actively "make converts" but rather to simply give others "food-for-thought" and for myself to partake of their offered "food-for-thought". I am not the source of all truth and I could be wrong (partly or fully). I constantly challenge and test my thinking by subjecting it to scrutiny and challenge by others (ALL others). Only then can I have any sense of hopefully having some semblance of sound thinking versus unsound thinking.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:14 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Hoping for the welfare and well-being, or otherwise the best possible outcome, for your mother, Sandra. I lost my mother in 2008 and my father in 1996.

As to your latest comment: Well, this is the very nature of a public debate forum. The thread we are participating in takes place within the all-encompassing "Religion and Spirituality" forum, where it is condoned by the C-D administrators to have active & open (yet otherwise respectful) debate. If we each just want to talk with our own kindred or like-minded spirits (people who only think as we do), we go to the appropriate sub-forum (i.e., Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Atheism and Agnosticism, et al) . . . yet we are directed by the C-D administrators to not come in to a "Religion and Spirituality" sub-forum with the intent of actively proselytizing against the core of that sub-forum's worldview. But when one comes into the all-encompassing, general-purpose "Religion and Spirituality" forum at-large, it is to be expected that, if one makes challenges or pointed remarks, they "might" be challenged. And if one chooses to make "hit-and-run"-type attacks, it should not be expected to reflect well on the contributor's worldview or stance (except perhaps by their own partisans). It can be reasonably expected that if a question such a "Has God ever broken a promise?" is posted on an all-encompassing, general-purpose "Religion and Spirituality" forum at-large, there are going to be contrasting worldviews and viewpoints presented there and, if some persons (whomever . . . it could be you or I or anyone else) make challenges or strong stances or engages in what might be perceived as condescension, don't be surprised if it is challenged by some (if not more-than-some). That is what the purpose of such a forum is: a contrasting and debating forum within the larger "marketplace of ideas", with the hope that "the truth" or at least some "basic truths" might emerge out of it all. You said "I can tell in your posts that it won't make a difference at all in your point of view on God or Christianity." I myself do not actually come to such forums to actively "make converts" but rather to simply give others "food-for-thought" and for myself to partake of their offered "food-for-thought". I am not the source of all truth and I could be wrong (partly or fully). I constantly challenge and test my thinking by subjecting it to scrutiny and challenge by others (ALL others). Only then can I have any sense of hopefully having some semblance of sound thinking versus unsound thinking.
Thanks for the concern for my mother! I appreciate that.

I understand what you are saying but this thread was originally posted in the Christianity section then it was moved to The Religion and Spirituality. When I made my comment it was still in the Christianity section. I think if it was originally post here my comments would have been different.

I will keep your suggestions in mind for the future and look forward to partaking in "food for thought".

Old 03-01-2014, 08:09 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post

I did not think that you regard god as a "cosmic candy machine" -- that was the implication I saw in what you said to me, that I am simply "bitter" because I pulled the lever and didn't get the goodies. It is a common accusation from the faithful to the faithless, particularly if, like me, they are deconverts whose initial reason for questioning their faith was based on the impedance mismatch between "the promises of god" and reality. If that was not your intent to accuse me of that, then I apologize for misunderstanding you.

And I accept your apology as well. I, too, was unintentionally condescending in these types of discussions when I was an evangelical. I bore no ill will then, either, only bias and blind spots of which I was unaware.

At any rate, you are correct ... tending to your loved one is more important than our metaphysical engagement here. I trust all ends up well for your mother and that she enjoys good health and a renewed life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality