U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:39 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,909,157 times

Advertisements

I would love to have a dialogue on the distinction I make between righteous and self-righteous. It can be examined biblically, socially and/or philosophically, but regardless of which direction is taken, it appears to be these are used interchangeably. Often it appears an attack on another person's perspective could be described as "self righteous" but framed and defended as righteous.

Think the term: righteous indignation!

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 12:48 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,493,926 times
In my opinion, a person that has a self-rightous attitude, as opposed to a rightous one, has a certain amount of pride and egotism involved. Rightousness implies that God is guiding. Self-rightousness often takes on a I'm right and you are wrong approach to a situation.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:04 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,802,922 times
Ego can only be self-righteous.
Ego-less can only be righteous.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:12 PM

I agree with you both, and like the simplicity as you offered it, Tricky D.

Now if ego is associated with self-righteous, and egoless with righteous, how does the self-righteous go about justifying their outbursts, as they frequently are such, in making judgments about others and go un-fettered.

Persistent finger pointing, so to speak!

Old 12-03-2007, 01:16 PM

218 posts, read 553,979 times
There's a definite distinction in my mind between "righteous" and "self-righteous" and the two terms should not be interchanged. While I think both connote, or maybe implicate morality or divinity, "righteous" is acting upon a sense of justice or morality whereas "self-righteous" is when one is convinced of his or her own righteousness, especially when in disagreement with an opposing opinion or action.

Also, "self-righteous" has always struck me as a negative term, probably because of "self" . . . which is selfish.

I would have responded that "righteous indignation" falls under the "self-righteous"/negative category, but on further reflection think maybe not . . . or maybe both, depending on usage and the speaker. Why not just be indignant? Indignant is a good word.

On a personal note, I think of justice (rather than divinity and morality) when using the term "righteous," which I don't use often because of listeners misunderstanding my usage.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:20 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,802,922 times
Originally Posted by ontheroad
Quote:
Now if ego is associated with self-righteous, and egoless with righteous, how does the self-righteous go about justifying their outbursts, as they frequently are such, in making judgments about others and go un-fettered.

Persistent finger pointing, so to speak!
When I start pointing figures, people will know that I'm doing that.
I do not hide behind words, or make excuses for my behaviour, because I like to be as honest as possible.
I guess that for me this is the only way to know when I'm either righteous or self-righteous.
I’ve learned that for me, the only way to control my anger is to not hide it or deny it.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:24 PM

Yes, GASunshine, I often think of "justice" in terms of righteous, and "indignation" of some sort with self-righteous.

You've outlined some of my thoughts extremely well. I am not struggling with the premise, but rather with my own indignation that those that purport to be "right" are often self-righteous and attack in one way or another those who disagree or are on the other side of an argument (not a disruptive argument, necessarily) but a discourse.

I may be forced to give some concrete examples and draw out more of our philosophers and religious posters.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:31 PM

218 posts, read 553,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I may be forced to give some concrete examples and draw out more of our philosophers and religious posters.
Good idea. Seems to me most of the major religions have something to say about righteousness, even Confucius (I probably ripped that spelling to pieces - but never mind). Luther, I think, said something about righteousness being a gift from God. I'll wait for the scholars to show up and post their thoughts.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:36 PM

Yes, I believe you've once more touched on one of the subtle subtexts of righteousness and self-righteous: religion!

I find some serious condemnation in the name of God, and occasionally this self-righteousness crosses over into hatred.

So a mild example: I don't like so and so moves into I hate so-and-so because they do not believe what I do. I've seen this escalate into "I want them dead."

Such a leap is startling, but is offered with self-righteousness; a moral indignation that is justified by God (whichever God).

Old 12-03-2007, 01:39 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,493,926 times
Ontheroad.......one of the problems that you will face in discussing anything religious is that an individual will consider themselves in a state of "rightous indignation" when those around him/her will see it more as a self-rightous snit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality