Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:43 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And that the earth is less than 10,000 year old. Religion has made the US the most scientific illiterate country of any industrialized country on the planet. The more you learn about the depth and breadth of such ignorance in this country, the more sleepless nights you will have.
We're doing ok with science I think. I think it's the religious part that's getting beat up with 'ignorance'. You know Satan, fire , brimstone, hell, the devil, etc etc etc are really all the opposites of 'good'. They are conceptions of a route going way off the way, the truth and the life. And we know 'good' and 'evil' in our world as within ourselves fight everyday for supremacy. We can't fail to see it going on every day.

I have the feeling we have lost tsome feeling for 'consequences' of our actions today. So if some cannot think 'Satan' exists or appreciate its conception then surely one has to be in some kind of netherworld oblivious to the raging battle going on. It's no wonder we suffer from a lack of setting and upholding values today. Knowing a little about 'Satan' goes a long way on that I think. We ignore at our peril.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
We're doing ok with science I think. I think it's the religious part that's getting beat up with 'ignorance'. You know Satan, fire , brimstone, hell, the devil, etc etc etc are really all the opposites of 'good'. They are conceptions of a route going way off the way, the truth and the life. And we know 'good' and 'evil' in our world as within ourselves fight everyday for supremacy. We can't fail to see it going on every day.

I have the feeling we have lost tsome feeling for 'consequences' of our actions today. So if some cannot think 'Satan' exists or appreciate its conception then surely one has to be in some kind of netherworld oblivious to the raging battle going on. It's no wonder we suffer from a lack of setting and upholding values today. Knowing a little about 'Satan' goes a long way on that I think. We ignore at our peril.
You sound like a conservative right-wing Christian, the old "we better get right with God" routine.

There is no raging battle, as you put it, except the usual battles between rival god concepts, battles between rich and poor, etc. Nothing that hasn't been going on for thousands of years.

The problem with letting religion handle the 'opposites of good' is that average people will be sexually well-behaved, but there will still be all kinds of crime, sexual predation, teen pregnancies, STDs, and such.

And the REAL sins will go on unabated by the primacy of religion - because religion doesn't concern itself with things like murder, rape, assault, theft, or any other sin. But contraception, which isn't even in the Bible, will be a big no-no as will abortion - which also wasn't in the Bible.

Who knows, perhaps religion would even see fit to allow the execution of homosexuals.

No, if the 'opposite of good' is to be addressed, it cannot be addressed in religious terms. Otherwise, we'll have oppressive laws concerning morality in a fight against an evil, supernatural demi-god. Once you place our problems into the supernatural realm, you remove our ability to solve them. Of course, perhaps that's what some folks want, so we would have to turn to God. But I don't think a single problem has ever been solved through prayer. Not a one.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Quote:
But I don't think a single problem has ever been solved through prayer. Not a one.
Well maybe you're not trying hard enough? Battling 'satan' isn't for dilettantes. You have to throw yourself in with all the resources you have.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
If Satan/devil and your god are at odds....and basically counterparts (good vs. evil).......why would satan 'punish' you and 'burn' you in "hell" if you do bad things in life? wouldn't he be patting you on the shoulder instead?
A pat on the shoulder would be a "good" thing. Pure evil (satan) is the absence of any good. He gets pleasure from your pain.

Nobody sends people to hell. The spirit part of us is eternal after the body dies, and the eternal resting places are either in the presence of the Lord or in the absence of his presence.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:55 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
A pat on the shoulder would be a "good" thing. Pure evil (satan) is the absence of any good. He gets pleasure from your pain.

Nobody sends people to hell. The spirit part of us is eternal after the body dies, and the eternal resting places are either in the presence of the Lord or in the absence of his presence.
Do you have any evidence of this eternal spirit?

Old 03-13-2014, 12:58 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Do you have any evidence of this eternal spirit?
I believe the word of God. You don't have evidence to the contrary, so the debate ends here.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
I believe the word of God. You don't have evidence to the contrary, so the debate ends here.
Or, do you mean you believe the anonymous writers of an ancient text, of which you have no originals?

So, your answer is "No". Thanks for clearing that up

Old 03-13-2014, 03:29 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Quote:
You could take out God and add any Deity to this statement. If you don't come here to engage in debate then posting here is pointless.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
You could take out God and add any Deity to this statement. If you don't come here to engage in debate then posting here is pointless.
Only Terry Pratchett readers will get the reference but I can't resist:

Unbelief is an abomination unto Nuggin.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:44 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
If Satan/devil and your god are at odds....and basically counterparts (good vs. evil).......why would satan 'punish' you and 'burn' you in "hell" if you do bad things in life? wouldn't he be patting you on the shoulder instead?
Honestly, that's a very good point that I'd never thought of before!

I know that serious believers think "Satan" isn't the caricature you see in movies (or South Park! That's seriously the first one that comes to mind!), and there are complex ways to interpret the notion. But to many people he IS that caricature, so pointing this out might make them think more critically, which can only be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality