Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 11:29 PM

28 posts, read 44,090 times

Advertisements

Was religion the cause of World War 1?

Was religion the cause of World War 2?

Will religion be the cause of World War 3?

Do you ever build arguments upon imaginary data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquine View Post

Nationalism is a sort of Religion, and most often supported by nationally supported Religions. Even Atheists and Secularists often take up their own ways to Identify themselves as separate from others, and fuel the flames of war.

"God and Country" as the cry calls out.

Yes, without a pro-war belief, War is more of a fear than a desire.

Religion is often used as justification for many things, including wars.

Most of the fuel is contingent on how the warring factions Identify though, irrespective of religion. Most people simply have religion so they quickly use it as the tool it is.

Religion is sometimes defined as: "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods."

This belief is often good motivation to do what one wants to do anyway. Religion isn't just a belief though.

I like Spiro's definition of religion better: "an institution consisting of culturally patterned interaction with culturally postulated super-human beings."

These things are used to justify war with the populace.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 AM

28 posts, read 44,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Nationalism is a sort of Religion, and most often supported by nationally supported Religions. Even Atheists and Secularists often take up their own ways to Identify themselves as separate from others, and fuel the flames of war.

"God and Country" as the cry calls out.

Yes, without a pro-war belief, War is more of a fear than a desire.

Religion is often used as justification for many things, including wars.

Most of the fuel is contingent on how the warring factions Identify though, irrespective of religion. Most people simply have religion so they quickly use it as the tool it is.

Religion is sometimes defined as: "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods."

This belief is often good motivation to do what one wants to do anyway. Religion isn't just a belief though.

I like Spiro's definition of religion better: "an institution consisting of culturally patterned interaction with culturally postulated super-human beings."

These things are used to justify war with the populace.
You have only answered the 4th question, what are your answers for the first 3 questions posed in the OP?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquine View Post
The short answer is no. It was a conflict between maintaining empires (Britain and France, Austria, lesser extent Russia) and Building empires (Germany).
God only comes in to justify imperial ambitions for each side. But it not specifically a war between religons.

Quote:
Again...no.

In Europe: Really it was somewhat on a continuation of WWI. Harsh treatment of Germany after the war, repercussions of the great depression, Fear of communism, and the deals made with the German army allowed the Hilter and Nazi party to rise to power completely. Hilter like past leaders of Germany was for building a empire. His gamble to take Poland into his budding empire started WW2.

In the Pacific: It was mostly about Japan's quest for empire and Britain maintaining theirs. Of course America was defending their "interests" in the area as well.

Quote:
Probably not. Just more of the same. Empire building.

Quote:
Does' t matter whether I build argument on imaginary data. It matters if governments do. Please see second gulf war.

Last edited by baystater; 03-14-2014 at 10:34 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 12:50 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Probably not. Just more of the same. Empire building.
Empire building is largely a thing of the past. Those nations actually capable of building an empire know better than to attempt to create one.

In answer to the third question - will WWIII be caused by religion?

Almost certainly.

Many military analysts have said that the most likely scenario for WWIII is the destruction of the Dome of the Rock by a militant or apocalyptic sect of Jews or Christians determined to rebuild the Temple of Solomon and usher in the coming of the messiah.

Even without such a scenario, religious-inspired terrorism is the next likely cause - sooner or later, one of these Islamic fundamentalist groups will cross the line by using a small nuclear or dirty bomb in a major city, and that will touch it off.

One has to imagine a scenario that would draw America, Russia, China, and the European Union into a full-on war, and I can only see that happening if the oil in the Middle East is seriously threatened, and that is most likely to occur due to religion.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:29 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Empire building is largely a thing of the past. Those nations actually capable of building an empire know better than to attempt to create one.
Not to derail the thread too much. But.....

While I don't see Russia getting that far with it's current land grab...we can see glimmers of the past. We can see that people and nations still have the same old desire for empire.
Right now....let me emphasize..right now we do live in a fairly stable world environment. But can we truly say it will always be like it is now? Can we say that Nations with power will always act rationally in the best interest for themselves or the world? I have my doubts.
Granted though let me add that the barriers for empire (gaining empire through aggressive means) are much higher since the advent of nuclear weapons. So I think the old school way of gaining empire will be limited for most of the 21st century. But even still...we must be very vigilant. And try to maintain our current, relatively stable world peace.

Let me put my tinfoil hat on for a second...and let me just say that I think that by the end of the 21st century begin of the 22nd. The rise of China and the rising of India (and the tensions between them) is going to make the world a very interesting if not dangerous place to live in.

Lastly let me just state that if the end of the world (human race) does come. I personally don't believe that it will be through war of any type. It will come from nature. Asteroid impact or volcanic activity.

Tinfoil hat off.

Last edited by baystater; 03-15-2014 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality