Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Sure can. It's God, described in the Bible. His name is YHWH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 04:28 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
The real God is Jesus.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth321 View Post

Being seperated in belief and faith keeps a question of "who is god".It seems to me that being the most powerful,loving and hater of evil in creation would Not employ evil for anything and not allow it to exist so why does he?
It is difficult if not impossible to have love and peace with so much being geared towards the existence of evil and a god that allows it to be.
Why does God always get the blame for horrendous things happening? Evil exists because people are horrible to each other. And because we do a lousy job of taking care of what's on this Earth. People. Animals. Fish. The land and water. The air we breathe. Be open to the possibility that what you've been taught is wrong. Look for him in the things and places and people you know are good.

Who is God? He's who you acknowledge him to be. Helpful hint: If you go into it believing God has to have certain attributes..... you're limiting both your search parameters AND God. If you feel you don't know him..... maybe you haven't looked where you need to look. Yet.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-18-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
His name is YHWH.
Which is impossible to pronounce unless you are pretty drunk.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:32 PM

484 posts, read 882,217 times
Maybe we'll all find out someday...but then again maybe not. You could endlessly debate one religion vs another and get nowhere.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:51 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
The best song ever written and performed on this subject.

A "To Tell the Truth" Episode

Todd Rundgren - Eastern Intrigue - YouTube

"Eastern Intrigue" lyrics
MP3 Email Print

TODD RUNDGREN LYRICS
Play Song
"Eastern Intrigue"

As the sun rises in the east
As the wind blows the fog across the sea
As the hand of man creeps across the face of the world
Caught in a web of glamours
Persian perfume and oriental eyes
Yogi in knots and sufi wise
Master sublime and swami high
Through in some voodoo on the side
And a dash of the old kung fu
Lord you got me strung out on eastern intrigue
Chapter six and verse eleven
If you wanna get to heaven
You've got to ask the man who owns the property
Ya gotta dance your dance
And do your act
And get his big attention that's a natural born fact
I'm on my knees, one question please
Will the real God please stand up?

Jesus and moses, mohammed, and sri krishna
Steiner, gurdjief, blavatsky, and bhudda

Guru maharaji, reverend sun myung moon

On the banks of the holy nile
As the palm tree sways at the base of the sphinx
'neath a crescent desert moon many thousands
Younger than ours
In fact, forget about time completely
Think of it in the abstract please
Think of the swaying tropic trees
One of your many destinies
Like having a hot peyote tea
In the palace of fu manchu
Lord you got me strung out on eastern intrigue
Sell your wife and pawn your heater
Buy the new bhagavad gita
Do the pranayama 'til your spine gets sore
I'll tell you for free
'cause God told me
We checked it with the pope and so we all agree
I'm on my knees, one question please
Will the real God please sit down?

Submit Corrections
TODD RUNDGREN Lyrics
A-Z Lyrics

Play Song
Writer(s): Todd Rundgren
Copyright: Warner-tamerlane Publishing Corp., Humanoid Music

Powered by MusixMatch
MP3 Email Print
Enter artist/album/song to search lyrics for:

Last edited by eddie gein; 03-18-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Maybe we'll all find out someday...but then again maybe not. You could endlessly debate one religion vs another and get nowhere.
That is an excellent point.

Maybe a god will put us all together in heaven without telling us who he is, and we will spend eternity arguing about his identity. Wouldn't that be a hoot!!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth321 View Post
Seems to me that with all our ancient text ,traditions and devotion to our faiths that the question still remains who is god really?The confusion of these different ideologies it seems as though our devotion to our faith divides us more than anything and without the concept of love being applied in one form or the other by us we probably would not have lasted this long as a human race.

With such division driven by rigorous devotion and discipine seems to be the dividing factor and one of main causes of our inability to make a better world for ourselves and future generations.

So i ask myself what kind of higher power who's main objective is complete peace,love and the end of confusion oh and let me not forget the punishing of evil doers ,material ones and immaterial would cause such a division in people knowing this would cause wars,death,despair ect.
Its painfully obvious that he does exist and plays a role in lives but what is his purpose its oblivious not peace love and happiness for all his creation because we can all see that evil is not a neccesity in reaching those goals .The purpose of evil is simply to hurt or destroy and is an enemy to love and any attempt to have a righteous mind.

Being seperated in belief and faith keeps a question of "who is god".It seems to me that being the most powerful,loving and hater of evil in creation would Not employ evil for anything and not allow it to exist so why does he?
It is difficult if not impossible to have love and peace with so much being geared towards the existence of evil and a god that allows it to be. our relationships with each other is method in which we use to do everything most importantly family.If he wont allow us to get to know him but only rely on ancient text to try and get some idea of him but really we are only making a relationship with the idea of love and justice.

Leaving him to be mystery and who can feel that they are apart of a loving family when your anchor allows such death destruction and refuses to be in a intimate relationship with his creation.Now are minds begin to wander with mistrustful thoughts because we see that all is not being done to make our purpose and lives make some kind of sense. If anyone knows the answer to this please enlighten me.
Sure I can tell you and enlighten you truth321...glad to do it. I can explain "the real god"...and verify the existence of such.

From a strictly "Real World" standpoint...all that one has to do is give their definition of "God", and that covers it.

MOF...If one were to say, "To ME, The Real God is the big rock outcropping on my property"...and that rock outcropping does, in fact, exist...God then exists--as that person defines God.
Another can't then turn around and say, "That rock outcropping may exist...but it isn't God...show me evidence that it's God".

That's not how "God" works...God doesn't have to be some Deity, or thing, or person, or action--it can be, but it doesn't have to be...God doesn't have to be something tangible, or even in any way discernible beyond a conceptualization..."God" is whatever anyone might define/perceive "God" to be...NOT what someone might think God MUST be, to be God.

Since "God" need be nothing more than the perception by someone that something or someone is "God" to them...the evidence of the perception of God, IS the evidence for God.

So...if ANYONE says they have a perception of God (and 98% of all the people that have lived DO)...and they actually DO have that perception, thus their perception exists...then God exists.

Even if God is just the concept of God in the conscious thought of the masses...if that conscious thought of God does, in fact, exist...then God does, in fact, exist.

Prove that anyone, anytime, EVER considered something/anything or someone to be "God"...and THAT is all the "hard evidence" that would be needed to prove the existence of God.

As respects, "The Way It Works In The Real World"..."God" is a conceptualization, a perception...like labeling someone a "king" or a "champion", for whatever reason you care to perceive them as that.

I'm sure you've heard someone call some athlete, entertainer, musician, or other, a "God"...or some woman a "Goddess"?!

"God" is a TITLE...regardless of what some DEMAND a "God" be to be "God". That title can be assigned to anyone or anything one cares to define/perceive as such.
Thus...all that has to be "proved" is that the perception/conceptualization of "God" has occurred in anyone at any time, to "prove" that "God" exists.

Like something/someone you "know" to be "Your Real Love", or "Your Real Hero"...you can assign someone/something as "Your Real God".

The "real god" is whoever or whatever anyone may perceive as such...simple as that.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:01 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Sure I can tell you and enlighten you truth321...glad to do it. I can explain "the real god"...and verify the existence of such.

From a strictly "Real World" standpoint...all that one has to do is give their definition of "God", and that covers it.

MOF...If one were to say, "To ME, The Real God is the big rock outcropping on my property"...and that rock outcropping does, in fact, exist...God then exists--as that person defines God.
Another can't then turn around and say, "That rock outcropping may exist...but it isn't God...show me evidence that it's God".

That's not how "God" works...God doesn't have to be some Deity, or thing, or person, or action--it can be, but it doesn't have to be...God doesn't have to be something tangible, or even in any way discernible beyond a conceptualization..."God" is whatever anyone might define/perceive "God" to be...NOT what someone might think God MUST be, to be God.

Since "God" need be nothing more than the perception by someone that something or someone is "God" to them...the evidence of the perception of God, IS the evidence for God.

So...if ANYONE says they have a perception of God (and 98% of all the people that have lived DO)...and they actually DO have that perception, thus their perception exists...then God exists.

Even if God is just the concept of God in the conscious thought of the masses...if that conscious thought of God does, in fact, exist...then God does, in fact, exist.

Prove that anyone, anytime, EVER considered something/anything or someone to be "God"...and THAT is all the "hard evidence" that would be needed to prove the existence of God.

As respects, "The Way It Works In The Real World"..."God" is a conceptualization, a perception...like labeling someone a "king" or a "champion", for whatever reason you care to perceive them as that.

I'm sure you've heard someone call some athlete, entertainer, musician, or other, a "God"...or some woman a "Goddess"?!

"God" is a TITLE...regardless of what some DEMAND a "God" be to be "God". That title can be assigned to anyone or anything one cares to define/perceive as such.
Thus...all that has to be "proved" is that the perception/conceptualization of "God" has occurred in anyone at any time, to "prove" that "God" exists.

Like something/someone you "know" to be "Your Real Love", or "Your Real Hero"...you can assign someone/something as "Your Real God".

The "real god" is whoever or whatever anyone may perceive as such...simple as that.
That's a rather long-winded way of saying people make up "God" to be whatever they want it to be.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Which is impossible to pronounce unless you are pretty drunk.
It's commonly pronounced "Yahweh". The ancient Jews didn't like to put vowels in the name because they respected him so much they didn't want to use his name in vain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality