Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,547,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I agree.

But... fat chance. Many Christians have a hard time tolerating each other. Lol, the Christianity threads illustrate how Christians throw accusations around and demean various denominations. It would be entertaining were it not so pitiful. I've never found the place where Jesus said, "The Baptists are righteous when they tell off the Catholics!" And yet..... some people feel quite comfy doing it.

Dang. One can only imagine what they say to you Atheists. SMH.
And maybe you have a good point Dew and that is why they don't try to reason anymore. Atheists have been insulted and harassed so long that we just want a pay back. But, I can't help think why I'd bother, not all Christians are wacky do tacky. lol It's just those few loud ones that get to me. I think it's that way with everyone, a few bad apples in an otherwise tasty basket.

Last edited by PoppySead; 03-24-2014 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,694,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know in essence the Bible is the greatest book in the world
A timely example of the behavior described in the OP.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:51 AM

4,454 posts, read 4,588,746 times
Quote:
A timely example of the behavior described in the OP.
heheh....just let me add that it would be an understatement to say that my comment reflects its 'influence'..to God, to the devil and everything 'in-between'....;-)...

Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM

27,262 posts, read 28,333,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I

You know in essence the Bible is the greatest book in the world and has been for centuries upon centuries and that comes from it being about the 'greatest story'. What is contained in those reams of lines and paper handed down has guided the intellectual, moral and spiritual development of western man for millenia. That literature of sacred history truly speaks eloquently on another existence of humanity outside of materialism where quarks and baryons are the modern day gods. Let's just say the ascension and direction of our being go in a different direction...as well as it should.
The Bible certainly has been influential in the western world because of the religious beliefs and hopes of most people, the power of tradition and authority and the absence of scientific knowledge and answers throughout most of history.

However, that doesn't take away from the reality which rational people are aware of today - that the Bible is primarily a book of mythologies, like all religious scriptures are.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
However, that doesn't take away from the reality which rational people are aware of today - that the Bible is primarily a book of mythologies, like all religious scriptures are.
I'd say if you suggest that book is a folk-tale well...no. But it does tell and illustrate the great 'stories' based on sacred tradition for the rational, thoughful and spiritual edification of mankind.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,977,905 times
This thread just raised a question in my mind.

Is it even possible for a person to have a belief if in their opinion it was not true (therefore a fact)?

In other words a belief is something one believes to be a fact, even if they can't prove it to be.

Which is why we present our beliefs as facts.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,666,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

Is it even possible for a person to have a belief if in their opinion it was not true (therefore a fact)?

In other words a belief is something one believes to be a fact, even if they can't prove it to be.

Yes, I believe we can delude ourselves into thinking we know something that we don't, a loose definition of "faith".

Old 03-25-2014, 01:58 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,481,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

As a matter of logic, maybe not. Yet I can't help but believe it happens all the time. Check out this illuminating passage from Orwell's 1984
Quote:

“ The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them... To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies – all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth.[3]
He hits the nail directly on it's head.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:10 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,408,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is futile, Box. You are facing yet one more of the "not one shred . . ." types of dismissals that abound here in the forum.
Of course they do. Because people making stuff up with no evidence abound on this forum. So the people who will point out that this is what they - that is to say YOU - are doing are going to be equally numerous. Do not act so surprised. You almost act like you feel you should simply get away with making nonsense up on the spot and asserting it as fact. Especially if that comes peppered - again as you do - with insults and aggression and hate against anyone who simply does not take your word for it on face value.

Quote:
They are never an actual call for anything to refute
Try giving us something to refute sometime except abject assertion and you will find us doing so. Give us just empty assertion however - over and over again - and I am not sure what kind of refutation you expect.

Quote:
no matter what is presented to them.
The above is your preferred fantasy choice. Until you actually present something however - you can not presume to k now how we will act when you present something. You can just make it up. And you do. With wanton glee it seems.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 AM

Re: Orwell's doublethink...

Surely a brilliant concept. And perhaps too much 'd-think' does bring on belief crises in individuals. I'd think its effect on philosophical/religious beliefs could be mild or really severe. Nevertheless it affects many quite differently. Some opt to turn to God. Others to flee furiously from the thought. The changes wrought can become a religious or secular Rubicon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality