Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
According to the major news sources, Fred Phelps dies near midnight on March 19, 2014. Ironically, his daughter says there will be no funeral.

https://news.yahoo.com/anti-gay-past...162046972.html

Sorry folks, I know a lot of you were planning to attend and carry signs, but there will not be a venue offered.
Glory to God! Now Mr. Phelps will finally know the truth

Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post

Smells Like Someone Died - YouTube

I raise a toast to one less A-hole in the world.
(Raises mug in agreement.)

Old 03-20-2014, 03:51 PM

995 posts, read 955,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I hope people don't think he represented true Christianity.

But he does! All you have to do is read the Bible he was dutifully following! He is more of a Christian than anyone who DOESN'T condemn gays. The doctrine of Christianity is the Bible, and the Bible is VERY anti-gay.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
A lot of Christians want to condemn Freddie for his views, but they never condemn the anti-gay, bigoted doctrine he was following. Any Christian who condemns Fred and praises the Bible is a hypocrite.
Fred Phelps' doctrine was hardly Christian. He used the Bible as an excuse and a shield, hiding his vicious and distasteful tactics behind the constant refrain of 'free speech'.

It is an established fact, from two of his own sons, that Fred Phelps was a violent, abusive, controlling man. It's sad that his life was so painful that he felt he must lash out.

As George Takei said, may his soul find the peace in death that so escaped him in life.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:03 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
But he does! All you have to do is read the Bible he was dutifully following! He is more of a Christian than anyone who DOESN'T condemn gays. The doctrine of Christianity is the Bible, and the Bible is VERY anti-gay.

I think Fred needed to read, judge not lest ye be judged, so how does that make him more of a Christian.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
\

Moses called for the deaths of gays.

Leviticus 20:13

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

Here is a list of Bible verses that condemn homosexuality. Freddie was only dutifully following the Bible. The "God" of the Bible agrees with him that all gays are evil.

What Does the Bible Say About Homosexuality?
Hey, I hear there's an opening at Westboro Baptist Church. How are you with making mean and nasty picket signs

Old 03-20-2014, 04:46 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times
Well, if there is indeed a god, and that god is just, then he should be tormented just as much as he tormented others. Personally, I think the world just got a little bit better, and hope he gets what he deserves. Good riddance.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:49 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I hope people don't think he represented true Christianity.
What right does anyone have to label anyone else's brand of Christianity "untrue"? If Christianity doesn't want to be stained by the offensive conduct of anyone else claiming to be Christian, then Christianity will have to do a lot more to protect its "brand". The reality is that shadows of Westboro's most offensive conduct can be seen in many other quarters of Christendom.

If you really want to make clear that your Christianity is fundamentally different from what Phelps projected, then it isn't enough to just pay lip service in an inane attempt to distance yourselves from people like that, but rather you must thoroughly and comprehensively turn away from those shadows - most notably in the case of Phelps, turn away from any and all conduct where you attempt to interpose Christian dogma outside the confines of your own bodies, your own homes, and your own churches. That means not opposing marriage equality, except within the confines of your church. It means not opposing reproductive choice, except when the mother chooses to subscribe to your church's rules. And so on.

Otherwise, the difference between your Christianity and Phelps' is just degree.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:50 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,320 times
I will say that Phelps has done wonders for the non-Xtian community, LOL. I kicked religion to the curb long ago and heard of this guy about 10 years ago. I actually emailed his church just to see how they would respond (I had just a quick neutral sounding question, nothing that would set him or his cult off) and I never got one. The whole group was spineless back then which is typical of followers of that 'religion'. I'm surprised that Kansas even tolerated the guy given that Kansas isn't exactly the most politically friendliest place in the world to begin with. This is why people are leaving the church in droves, for the people there who somewhat give a Moderator cut: Inappropriate language

Last edited by june 7th; 03-21-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 PM

995 posts, read 955,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I think Fred needed to read, judge not lest ye be judged, so how does that make him more of a Christian.

Because the Bible is so INCREDIBLY anti-gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality