Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 04:26 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,740 times

Advertisements

I started a discussion regarding this on the politics board as well as links to those that voted no. Below is the link

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ian-faith.html

Oh, these 9 voted yes when a bill to honor Islam and Ramadan as well as another bill to honor Hinduism and Diwali.
Why those and not Christians and Christmas???

Last edited by theroc5156; 12-12-2007 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 04:58 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,402 times
I don't know. This probably isn't worth mentioning, but after having read both the Muslim and Christian bills (as they were posted in the other forum), I couldn't find anything wrong with them other than how utterly stupid and pointless they were. I think I would've refused to vote for in all cases, and I don't know why those nine people voted no to the Christian one and not the others.

Someone on the other thread argued that the origin of Christmas was not accounted for and that was a valid reason why people refused to vote for the Christian one, but I think I disagree. While I understand that Christmas has pagan roots, it's still accurate to say that many Christians celebrate Christmas as the birth of Christ. Just because it has other roots doesn't negate what it means to many people in modern times, so I don't see what was wrong with that point.

I think the real question is why in the world these bills were brought up in the first place. What a complete waste of time.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I don't know. This probably isn't worth mentioning, but after having read both the Muslim and Christian bills (as they were posted in the other forum), I couldn't find anything wrong with them other than how utterly stupid and pointless they were. I think I would've refused to vote for in all cases, and I don't know why those nine people voted no to the Christian one and not the others.

Someone on the other thread argued that the origin of Christmas was not accounted for and that was a valid reason why people refused to vote for the Christian one, but I think I disagree. While I understand that Christmas has pagan roots, it's still accurate to say that many Christians celebrate Christmas as the birth of Christ. Just because it has other roots doesn't negate what it means to many people in modern times, so I don't see what was wrong with that point.

I think the real question is why in the world these bills were brought up in the first place. What a complete waste of time.
Agreed. But why vote no on this one weeks after voting yes on the other ones??

Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I started a discussion regarding this on the politics board as well as links to those that voted no. Below is the link

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ian-faith.html

Oh, these 9 voted yes when a bill to honor Islam and Ramadan as well as another bill to honor Hinduism and Diwali.
Why those and not Christians and Christmas???
christmas is a big enough effin deal as it is. i don't really like the double standard part of this, but i might be able to understand to an extent.

i guess the only way i might see it would be like giving candy to a fat kid, christmas doesn't need any more support, people are already getting in fist fights over PS3's and furbies and the like in the name of x-mas, it couldn't hurt to let more people know that there are other holidays this time of year.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:06 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Agreed. But why vote no on this one weeks after voting yes on the other ones??
I don't know. Sounds to me like they were being really inconsistent. It's like they realized how ridiculous it was, but of course, couldn't go back and change their previous votes? If they realized how ridiculous it was, I don't know why they didn't just abstain.

I can see what cleatis is saying, but I still think all the bills were pointless. But if someone thought there was a valid reason to vote for one, I don't see why they didn't vote for them all. It starts seeming petty when one doesn't, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality