Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 04:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Umm, sorry to burst your biological bubble friend but, if the model worked it wouldn't keep changing over the years.
Psssssst!

Biological models would never have to change if everything else in the universe stayed constant, which isn't the case. For example, (as postulated) if meteor stayed exactly were god placed them instead of occasionally being pulled by gravity into some planetary object, like the earth for example, there would have been no need for a mass jurassic extinction which allow mammals to claim the position of dominate species.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 PM

618 posts, read 540,951 times
Hello again Eusebius.

I had some hope for this discussion, but I can see now that we are getting nowhere. I am confident that AREQUIPA, Ceist, myself or any number of other individuals could go through and argue your sources point-by-point, but there are some problems with this approach.

1. Your sources are so replete with fallacies and misrepresentations that this would take a long, long time and a lot of effort.
2. I suspect that (at this point in time) you would simply ignore evidence that contradicts your world-view in any case.

You have admitted that you have no scientific background and are trusting the work of others. These "others" are a select group of individuals who support a philosophy (and ID is that at best) consistent with your religion. What you believe personally about god and salvation is entirely your private concern, but our shared, objective reality is not.

These men you have placed your trust in are deceiving you. They are telling lies and half-truths, and because you have placed your trust in them you are also telling lies and half-truths. I don't think that's what you want; but honestly that's what is happening.

I very much hope that you review some of the information you've been offered (particularly by Ceist) and actually weigh out the evidence rather than trusting these dishonest men.

That said, I don't think there is any more I can do for you.

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It would be nice if we had a real scientist like Rifleman around...
Hello AREQUIPA.

That hurt my feelings.

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
That said, I don't think there is any more I can do for you.
Or anyone else...except. If by shooting the messenger one keeps the message from infecting others then perhaps your efforts are worthwhile.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Hello AREQUIPA.

That hurt my feelings.

Thanks.
I do apologize if I was ignorant of your being a real scientist. It was a foolish remark of mine. Of course there are many scientists here but I knew Don (Rifleman) as a trained biologist but I haven't a mental list of all the others.

While I'm here, that stuff I copied, pasted and presented on human fossils and particularly the transitional ones was interesting with the increasing numbers of hominid fossils and the increasing spreading out from Kenya and Ethiopia through Africa,then to Europe and asia, then to Australia and finally showing up in America.

Just more evidence of a small group of hominids growing in numbers and spreading out geographically.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I do apologize if I was ignorant of your being a real scientist. It was a foolish remark of mine. Of course there are many scientists here but I knew Don (Rifleman) as a trained biologist but I haven't a mental list of all the others.
Hello again AREQUIPA.

No need to apologize, I meant it humorously. I've had my fair share of biology classes, but I must confess I am not a biologist; I am an analytical chemist.

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
According to the scientists I referenced, your scientists are incorrect and your "scientiest" keep moving the goal posts when they find out their current model is wrong after all.
Ah. the 'science is always getting it wrong' argument. The rebuttal is the same. The goal and posts remains the same. Evolution is the 'goal' and more and more goals are being scored.

The analogy rather breaks down in trying to fit in how new discoveries add to the information and perhaps the recent idea that the Erectus skulls in Georgia might indicate that the various sub species from A.Africanus to Habilis might all be the one species is clarifying a rather over- populated sub- species list.

That is nothing to do with shifting goalposts. No more than finding an Ark a different shape and size from the Bible description would be 'shifting the goalposts' of Ark enthusiasts.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, by the standards of science itself, we're not there yet. Evolution is still a theory. It's a well supported theory, but archaeology and paleontology are not very exact sciences and incorrect assumptions/guesses happen all the time. It's also extremely difficult for science to conclusively prove that the fossil record is saying everything that we currently think it says. Evolution is always in flux and as such will probably never become a scientific law.
I'll repeat: evolution is not theory; it has actually been observed. What's maybe less provable is whether humans evolved in the past to where we are now, but it would take a pretty closed mind to reject the theory of evolution. If you don't want to believe in evolution, then you don't have to. I don't care. But I do care when people want to teach an entire generation of school children than an ancient legend has the same scientific weight as scientific theory that's based on generations of research.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:29 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
Hello again AREQUIPA.

No need to apologize, I meant it humorously. I've had my fair share of biology classes, but I must confess I am not a biologist; I am an analytical chemist.

Thanks.
I also was unaware of that. Very interesting.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I also was unaware of that.
Hello again Boxcar Overkill.

Yes, my exact field rarely comes up in conversation. Not too many people question the validity of Fourier Transform or Gravimetric Analysis on the basis of their religious convictions. That would be cooler for me, though.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality