Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:13 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times

Advertisements

Certain beliefs within many(not all) sects of Christianity are rather depressing and despicable. For example, the belief that people are intrinsically evil is more in line with psychological abuse. It's no different than someone saying that another person is worthless and wicked and can only be worthy if they have them in their life. Another example is the belief that life is purposeless without god. The people that tout this don't seem to realize that what they're really saying is that god made life intrinsically purposeless. While their belief in god may give them purpose, if purpose in life is contingent on believing in god, then there is no purpose to life. Such beliefs rob life of it's beauty. I also think that it is rather disgraceful and authoritarian for someone to have to give up a person they love simply because they don't share the same beliefs. That says belief outweighs content of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 PM

260 posts, read 605,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus loved sinners, but not their sin. *See the story of the Samaritan women at the well.
Isn't that the story that was added by scribes 500 years later?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:11 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
But you're not Jesus, right? So how do you feel?
The same.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:30 AM

49 posts, read 46,829 times
Being foreign born, I was raised in a good rural Catholic parish which had a lively fun loving social life. Below the church sanctuary was a fully stocked bar and restaurant area which was frequented by most of the congregation after mass. Parties and anniversaries were regularly held at this location and the priest was always a guest. He played with the kids who were always present and was given permission to discipline them when they became unruly.

This rural church was also an after school depository for kids whose parents worked long hours and other non working mothers cared for them after school hours. The congregation was fun loving and sermons were always started with members of the congregation telling those assembled of any problems or celebrations in their lives.

The congregation was also oriented by charitable contributions to unnamed members who needed help - and the priest was trusted to dole out money and goods to those who needed it. Theology was never preached out in large doses and Bible story examples were always sited in the priest’s Sunday sermons. Jokingly the priest always let us know what his favorite foods were and often was invited to dine with congregants on the condition that he would help with food preparation and kitchen scullery afterwards.

Our clergy were treated as equals and were always asked if they needed anything large or small in their daily lives. Whenever our priest was overworked he told us so and we always had subs so he could have the weekend off. This church remains today and has a larger than normal older congregation living at home who are cared for by this church.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:22 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,448,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
Christian views:

The world is infected with evil. We can't wait to get out of this world.

Despite the fact that we might feel romance for non-Christians, we can't date or marry them. If you feel in love with a bon-Christian, that means the devil is trying to trap you.

Work is supposed to be unenjoyable because it was created as punishment. If you enjoy work, you're cheating the system. In fact, if you enjoy anything "of this world", you're experiencing evil feelings.

Firstly, work wasn't a punishment. The punishment (if we are talking Adam and Eve) after the fall was we would work by the sweat of our brow. This means work would involve a whole lot of effort. (Well, if you work with your hands) So work wasn't created as a punishment. If you recall, Adam worked in the Garden of Eden.

Secondly, the world is filled with evil. We can't wait for things to ultimately be set right. Now we can do that right now, but ultimately everything will be right when this age is over. I take great enjoyment in changing the world around me right now.

Lastly the romance thing. Why would a non christian get involved with a christian, particularly one who actively practices their belief? (That it's clear the person is a christian) It's cool if this person has attractive qualities, but knowing they believe in things like the supernatural should be a turn off in terms of dating and marrying them. Romance is a complicated thing. Is it wrong for a tall person not wanting to date a short person? Is it wrong for a skinny person not wanting to marry a big-boned person? So why is it wrong if a christian to not get involved with a non-christian or a non-christian not to get involved with a christian? Indeed if a christian decides not to marry a non-christian, it's probably for the best anyway. Why live with that kind of tension, the christian partner wanting to convert their spouse? Of course there are many sound relationships between christians and non-christians. Yet if you're the active christian, it's best not to marry someone who doesn't share those same beliefs. That's just reasonable.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Certain beliefs within many(not all) sects of Christianity are rather depressing and despicable. For example, the belief that people are intrinsically evil is more in line with psychological abuse. It's no different than someone saying that another person is worthless and wicked and can only be worthy if they have them in their life. Another example is the belief that life is purposeless without god. The people that tout this don't seem to realize that what they're really saying is that god made life intrinsically purposeless. While their belief in god may give them purpose, if purpose in life is contingent on believing in god, then there is no purpose to life. Such beliefs rob life of it's beauty. I also think that it is rather disgraceful and authoritarian for someone to have to give up a person they love simply because they don't share the same beliefs. That says belief outweighs content of character.

Yes, it is very sad that Christianity makes people feel insecure. There are all these psychologists who have to cure insecurity in people because it messes up a person. And Christianity breeds insecurity.

I was a victim of the teaching that I was never perfect, that it was not possible to do everything just right, that you end up "sinning" in one way or another. And that brings on guilt... So you pretty much live in guilt and low self esteem.

(Like some of the emotionally abusive parents raise their children, they feel the same there too)

I was taught by the Bible not to love anything that the world has. Now I have to live here, but it's like I was made to be dysfunctional for this world. It's like God (Christianity beliefs) is making you walk while at the same time cuts off your legs.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Yes, it is very sad that Christianity makes people feel insecure. There are all these psychologists who have to cure insecurity in people because it messes up a person. And Christianity breeds insecurity.

I was a victim of the teaching that I was never perfect, that it was not possible to do everything just right, that you end up "sinning" in one way or another. And that brings on guilt... So you pretty much live in guilt and low self esteem.

(Like some of the emotionally abusive parents raise their children, they feel the same there too)

I was taught by the Bible not to love anything that the world has. Now I have to live here, but it's like I was made to be dysfunctional for this world. It's like God (Christianity beliefs) is making you walk while at the same time cuts off your legs.
Agreed.

Every, single Sunday of my life from the time I was old enough to participate in the liturgy:

"O Almighty God, merciful Father, I a poor, miserable sinner, confess to you all my sins and iniquities with which I have ever offended you and justly deserved your punishment now and forever. But I am heartily sorry for them and sincerely repent of them, and I pray you of your boundless mercy and for the sake of the holy, innocent, bitter sufferings and death of your beloved son, Jesus Christ, to be gracious and merciful to me, a poor sinful being."

Sunday after Sunday, begging for mercy so I wouldn't be thrown into eternal torment. Sunday after Sunday, for decades, being reminded that every single sin I committed, no matter how seemingly insignificant, in some mystical way actually added more pain and agony to Jesus as he hung on the cross dying because God was so angry with ME and my sinfulness that he had to take it out on someone. Being reminded constantly that everything about me was no better than a dirty, filthy rag and that the only reason that the HOLY GOD could stand to look upon me was because he didn't really see me at all -- instead he saw the blood of Jesus covering up what a vile creature I was.

It definitely creates some issues.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Agreed.

Every, single Sunday of my life from the time I was old enough to participate in the liturgy:

"O Almighty God, merciful Father, I a poor, miserable sinner, confess to you all my sins and iniquities with which I have ever offended you and justly deserved your punishment now and forever. But I am heartily sorry for them and sincerely repent of them, and I pray you of your boundless mercy and for the sake of the holy, innocent, bitter sufferings and death of your beloved son, Jesus Christ, to be gracious and merciful to me, a poor sinful being."

Sunday after Sunday, begging for mercy so I wouldn't be thrown into eternal torment. Sunday after Sunday, for decades, being reminded that every single sin I committed, no matter how seemingly insignificant, in some mystical way actually added more pain and agony to Jesus as he hung on the cross dying because God was so angry with ME and my sinfulness that he had to take it out on someone. Being reminded constantly that everything about me was no better than a dirty, filthy rag and that the only reason that the HOLY GOD could stand to look upon me was because he didn't really see me at all -- instead he saw the blood of Jesus covering up what a vile creature I was.

It definitely creates some issues.
To be fair, that has never been my experience, and I'm Southern Baptist.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
I was Southern Baptist and it was my experience, so I don't think any group that needs to posit man's sinfulness is immune. I think a lot of it has to do with personality. Some people brush off failure and move on much easier than other, just in general. For them, and maybe that includes you, it is not big deal to accept your own depraved and sinful nature, as well as the filthy rags of your own righteousness without internalizing it. Some of us cannot, and it can be absolutely debilitating.

The fact that it is a fundamental aspect of Christian doctrine makes it impossible to get away from. You can't just ignore such an important piece of your faith, and if you really look at what it means, it can color everything with a horrific, hopeless tinge.

Certainly this is not the experience of many Christians, but it is reality for some.

-NoCapo

Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
I certainly wouldn't have written about it in those terms when I was still living it. It's only in hindsight, having been freed from the mind-control, that I'm able to see it for what it was. At the time I would have said, "God loves me." But, what is very obvious to me now is just how warped an idea of love I had been fed. It was what I imagine it is like to live with an abusive spouse who says they love you, even while they are berating you and telling you in every way that you are worthless and that they are the only that ever COULD love you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality