Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

I agree that, if it was being used to make a big deal about Christianity, especially to the exclusion of POW's - MIA's of other religious views, I would want to see other beliefs represented (even just a photos of Jews, Muslims, unbelievers) and any exhibit making a big deal about the Christianity of this Bible-owner removed, but even then not the Bible itself. If it was a for sure reminder of the person.

There are aspects to be considered. Pleased to meet you, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
If it makes anyone feel better the military has a long history of strongly supporting Christian religions (here's a good example starting at 41:40) and is a large part of military culture.

The Fighting Lady: The Lady And The Sea (1945) USS Yorktown - YouTube

Religion is a useful coping mechanism, especially when you are literally walking through hell... or about to.

The Missing Man display is a powerful symbolic representation... the objects placed on the table all have important symbolic meaning and NONE of it has anything to do with proselytizing or suppressing anyone... it's remembering your fallen comrades and reminding you of your potential fate (which in turn reminds you to do your best work!). The bible is there as a symbolic representation of hope that a higher power is watching out for both the living and the fallen and a reminder to not become one of the "monsters" as you fight them... a very real danger when the world turns upside-down during a war.

Robbing the symbol of one of it's parts cheapens the whole thing and can only do harm.

Folks of all stripes need to grow the hell up and start separating religion from culture in their minds. A bible isn't inherently offensive or evil... it's a book. Right, wrong or indifferent the bible is an accoutrement of our culture.

A book never killed or enslaved anyone... people who used the book for their own manipulations and nefarious purposes did. People have also used the book to be inspired and comforted too.

In the end it only means what you want it to mean... or more accurately what you need it to mean.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:24 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Pleased to meet you, by the way.

Heh, I'm usually pretty quick on the draw, but you lost me on this one.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:48 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Arequipa, please meet Shirina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
. Pleased to meet you, by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

Heh, I'm usually pretty quick on the draw, but you lost me on this one.
He was responding to the suggestion by Mike930, Shirina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality