Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,968,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
FYI the word habib which is what the 7 11 clerk calls you in Arabic means slave
Did u say u really felt a connection with Arab culture? Lol there is an iron slave collar
Btw Egypt is a Arabic speaking country the notion that blacks ruled Egypt is to ignore centuries of Arab enslavement of black people
Americas newest fad rewriting world history
Habib is the Arabic word for loved one, Habibi is My My Loved one.

A common term we use for our Wife, Husband or Children.

We also call Muhammad(saws) Ahmad ya Habibi "Muhammad my Love" (Ahmad is a diminituive form of Muhammaf)

Here is the Nasheed "Ahmad ya Habibi"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM

17,919 posts, read 24,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Good points, but I'm not here to judge which religion they pick. I just want reasons why they gravitate toward Islam and not Buddhism, which seems pretty popular among white progressives.
My five cent hypothesis:

Same God.

It is a relatively easy transfer while not completely exploding one's worldview. Buddhism has barely made inroads in the U.S. as a religion (though it enjoys some success as a practice parallel to popular religions and among agnostics/atheists), and Islam seems an obvious alternative to Christianity. And not just for Blacks, but anyone from a Christian worldview.

Some people don't want to give up the Abrahamic God. Buddhism doesn't provide any god, Judaism is aloof and resistant to conversions, but Islam welcomes anyone with open arms.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:24 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Habib is the Arabic word for loved one, Habibi is My My Loved one.

A common term we use for our Wife, Husband or Children.

We also call Muhammad(saws) Ahmad ya Habibi "Muhammad my Love" (Ahmad is a diminituive form of Muhammaf)

Here is the Nasheed "Ahmad ya Habibi"

ok ok maybe my pronounciation and spelling is not great
but he did not call him "my beloved one" he meant "slave", they do it all the time
that much i am sure-- not from me-- but from a native speaker

try abidi sounds almost alike

Abd (Arabic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,968,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
ok ok maybe my pronounciation and spelling is not great
but he did not call him "my beloved one" he meant "slave", they do it all the time
that much i am sure-- not from me-- but from a native speaker

try abidi sounds almost alike

Abd (Arabic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Abidi does mean "My Slave"

Now what makes you certain the 7/11 clerk is Muslim? The majority of Arabs in the USA are Christians. Most Muslims in the USA do not speak Arabic, however do understand Qur'anic Arabic

Quote:
While the majority of the population of the Arab World is composed of people of the Muslim faith, most Arab Americans, in contrast, are Christian.

According to the Arab American Institute, the breakdown of religious affiliation among Arab Americans is as follows:

63% Christian
35% Catholic (Roman Rite Catholics & Eastern Catholics — Maronites and Melkites)
18% Orthodox (Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox)
10% Protestant
24% Muslim
13% Other; Jewish, No Affiliation

SOURCE

While most Arabs in the Arab world are Muslim nearly 90% of the world's Muslims are not Arab. Very few Muslims speak Arabic sufficiently to use it as a spoken language. Outside the Arab nations if you hear someone speaking Arabic they are usually Christian.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:25 PM

22,633 posts, read 14,855,142 times
Because the Jews found Buddhism more appealing.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:54 PM

233 posts, read 341,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Because the Jews found Buddhism more appealing.
How is that relevant? And how is that even true?

Old 04-20-2014, 01:08 PM

67 posts, read 84,061 times
Everything that people have said is true, but there are also influences from famous black people and rappers such as Ice Cube who have become Muslim. Also, there are many cases of prisoners who read the Qur'an and hadith in prison and become Muslim.

Islam is big on not judging people by skin color so this may appeal to them, as well as the blacks' past ties to Christianity since we both believe in monotheism. I'm not sure why you ask why they gravitate towards Islam and not Buddhism; the two are quite different beliefs.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:56 AM

12,879 posts, read 13,542,551 times
People believe religion is something "organic" to their identity. When they search for spirituality they look to history to supply them with the answers.
Black people in American have the slave past as part of their history and Islam and Christianity have that connection.

With out slavery there would be no religion and with out religion there would be no slaves.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 AM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
People believe religion is something "organic" to their identity. When they search for spirituality they look to history to supply them with the answers.
Black people in American have the slave past as part of their history and Islam and Christianity have that connection.

With out slavery there would be no religion and with out religion there would be no slaves.
That's not true. Societies without religion had slaves. Think of various North American indigenous people--they didn't have what we would call religion, but they certainly had slaves. They just didn't use religion as a backup to justify it as some have with religion in the past.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 AM

12,879 posts, read 13,542,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's not true. Societies without religion had slaves. Think of various North American indigenous people--they didn't have what we would call religion, but they certainly had slaves. They just didn't use religion as a backup to justify it as some have with religion in the past.
Slavery varied throughout history. Until the Europeans introduced chattel slavery slaves were; enemies, prisoners, debtors and the slave didn't need religion to explain his condition. This is why I think Christianity and Islam are attractive to African Americans. These religions allow a black person to be victorious, overcome and eventually become the master to his master as they are associated with wars. Black liberation theology also meets these needs.
From what I seem to remember about Buddhism is you suffer and eventually stop relying on your body to be the source of pain or pleasure. Your victory is only over the limitations of your body.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 04-22-2014 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality