Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
From what I understand, it is not entirely impossible to fake a small piece like this and have it passed carbon dating, etc. which gives it credential. However, don't forget that Vatican's newspaper had already declared it a fake.

As for the controversial words "My wife" as claimed to be spoken by Jesus, many scholars have suggested that the proper translation should be read as "my bride" instead which refers to the Church, not an actual woman.

I also understand that many would love to see Jesus having a wife which will make way for female priests or popes in the future. Absolutely nothing wrong with the idea but I just don't think this little piece of papyrus is conclusive enough to prove that Jesus was married.

Just take a moment to really think from Jesus point of view, He knew exactly His mission on earth right from the moment He was born, and He absolutely knew every single little thing that was going to happen to Him leading to His crucifixion, His own death on a wooden cross. He must have a million things on His mind and getting married and settling down with a woman was most likely not one of those million things.

Besides, what is the point for Him to get married? To start a family and have few kids? Highly unlikely. That clearly wasn't His priority. No, Jesus wasn't married in a conventional sense. But He had His bride, it was His church.

Don't get carried away, people.

You are just assuming He knew from birth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality