Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:22 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,636,893 times

Advertisements

im thinking that faith is really just the power of positive thinking. what does the power of positive thinking have to do with god though?
does god just want us to be doormats and be happy with every bad thing that happens to us? or does he want us to fight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Like I said, God owes you nothing, therefore he does not need to answer your prayers. We, humans tend to have some very stupid ideas as if we always knew what is best for us, NOT TRUE! I remember sometimes being very upset over not getting a job and I would ask Why? Why? I am such a good person! Down the road, I got an even better job and then when I thought about it, everything made perfect sense. God will set you up with challenges and downfalls throughout your life to test you faith but also to see what you do when challenged. Obviously, you have a degree of free will, therefore, every choice you make will be accounted. When you face a difficulty in your life, you always have the choice of being unhappy, bitter or you can get on your knees and say "Thank God, I realize that I am going through this hard times but I know this will get better"..If you truly have strong faith, you can honestly be happy even when everything seems to be falling apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 09:23 AM

751 posts, read 1,173,142 times
The life of this world is very empty, superficial and deceptive. Hence, the reason why I believe in Eternal Life and the Day of Judgement. Truly, fullfillment does not come from anything that is material and wordly. Booze, drugs, sex, cars, plastic surgery, wealth, none of these things will give you any everlasting comfort or fullfillment. It is sad that that is all that exists for some people. I think so many disbelievers will tremble when they are brought before God, I wonder what their arguments or excuses for not believing will be. In Scripture, disbelievers are labeled as "blind and hard hearted" What a perfect description! God's presence is so overwhelmingly clear and present everywhere (nature, skies, rivers, lakes, planets, stars)yet they cannot see it.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 12-08-2007 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: deleted orphaned quote

Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,439,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
try club soda for your coffee stain!
I think that perhaps divine intervention just happened!!! I did not know that club soda would work, I had some in my pantry, I used it and it worked! Now, I don't have to get in my car, drive halfway to the store before killing someone trying to walk across the street, and ruining my life. Wow, God must really love me!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:31 AM

who are these booze, sex, drugs, cars, plastic surgery, wealth people youre speaking of? i bet most of us here are just normal people who dont partake in alot of those things.
Quote:
The life of this world is very empty, superficial and deceptive. Hence, the reason why I believe in Eternal Life and the Day of Judgement. Truly, fullfillment does not come from anything that is material and wordly. Booze, drugs, sex, cars, plastic surgery, wealth, none of these things will give you any everlasting comfort or fullfillment. It is sad that that is all that exists for some people. I think so many disbelievers will tremble when they are brought before God, I wonder what their arguments or excuses for not believing will be. In Scripture, disbelievers are labeled as "blind and hard hearted" What a perfect description! God's presence is so overwhelmingly clear and present everywhere (nature, skies, rivers, lakes, planets, stars)yet they cannot see it.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:35 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,462,343 times
I have said it before on this forum that many people think God is a "sugar daddy" who sits on his throne and hands out whatever his spoiled children ask..He blessed us with the minds we have to figure out and solve problems..Imo we should be spending more time using out tools to solve our problems than whinning that God doesn't listen..We should try thanking God for the blessings we do have, and we have many that we are not aware of.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,206,905 times
Quote:
..Imo we should be spending more time using out tools to solve our problems than whinning that God doesn't listen..We should try thanking God for the blessings we do have, and we have many that we are not aware of.
That is why I only pray through action.

If I could I would've repped ya Blue.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:38 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,141,808 times
Quote:
The life of this world is very empty, superficial and deceptive. Hence, the reason why I believe in Eternal Life and the Day of Judgement. Truly, fullfillment does not come from anything that is material and wordly. .
The life of this world is NOT empty, superficial or deceptive. It is full of blessings and joy. Read the bible. God put these "material" things on this earth for us, now, in this life. Life is fruitful.

What will God say at the end? Will he remind you of what he gave you in this life? And you turned your back on His gifts because you thought they were material and worldly?

Only a life without Love or People could be considered empty. As long as there are others around us, we have something worthwhile to do. We gain as we give. We grow as we give. We become a blessing to others. Is this superficial and deceptive?

Old 12-08-2007, 09:42 AM

751 posts, read 1,173,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I have said it before on this forum that many people think God is a "sugar daddy" who sits on his throne and hands out whatever his spoiled children ask..He blessed us with the minds we have to figure out and solve problems..Imo we should be spending more time using out tools to solve our problems than whinning that God doesn't listen..We should try thanking God for the blessings we do have, and we have many that we are not aware of.
Very well put! I might add that when you get on your knees every morning and thank God just for being alive, you will start appreciating what you have much more. Humility is from God.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:49 AM

so then why do we even need god? why do we pray and try to have faith and talk about him so much if it's really ALL up to us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post

Old 12-08-2007, 09:51 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,206,905 times
Because talking about God should not be about ego.
But it is my experience that this is a very difficult thing to do for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality