Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:59 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times

Advertisements

i dont get it either. ive asked this question before i think. it could very well be our own voice we hear. i dont think ive ever heard a voice but ive felt a feeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
i don't get it when people say they hear god, how do you know its god and it is a voice in your head? Could it be your own mind too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 04:03 PM

this is the kind of answer i feared. so you believe that god only answers "certain" people's prayers? that doesnt seem fair or right to me. god (if there is a god, im really starting to wonder lately) knows who i am and that i speak to him all the time and i dont like to think that he/she wont help me just because i am not like others. what kind of god is that? i dont believe this to be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I know this is kinda going to be a controversial answer and others will disagree, but I really believe that in order for prayers to be answered, the first prayer God wants to answer is your prayer to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior. It begins there IMO. I think this is the first step to establishing a relationship with God and having your prayers answered. I'm not saying that God is in a box and won't answer prayers before we come to this place, but I really think this is key to being able to expect an answer from Him.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:12 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i dont get it either. ive asked this question before i think. it could very well be our own voice we hear. i dont think ive ever heard a voice but ive felt a feeling.
I think what happens when people believe in god is that they 'look' for evidence to assure themselves of his existence. Whether they have one of those ESP moments where they think something bad might happen and then it does, or whether something atypical of the norm occurs it is very easy to attribute these things to something supernatural. Instead of reasoning with the actual explanation it is easy to pass the credit to god.

My personal opinion is that this is how early man felt, and this is how modern man still is. On the level of learning capacity and intelligence early man wasn't subpar of his descendents. Ignorant to the facts, perhaps, but that's due to a lack of education more than a lack of intelligence.

I was coming home from the store today and I was stopped at a red light. I was looking down at my satellite radio trying to find a good station. Out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw green and I stepped on the gas. Just before I lurched into the intersection I caught a flash of shiny metal speeding through it. Turns out, the light was still red, I just saw green out of the corner of my eye. Now, some people might say that god bailed them out. However, I cannot feasibly understand why one might think that when every action performed was under my own prowess (to include the lack of attention at the light). There is a perfectly natural explanation for everything that happened. People often fail to realize the circumstances of the situation and how quickly the brain calculates.

When I looked up after pressing on the gas, I noticed the cars on either side of me had not yet moved, thus causing me to glance to the right seeing this barreling chunk of metal heading directly for where I would be had I continued. I then looked at the light to realize it was still red and mashed on the brakes. The thing is, everything happened so fast, that it takes that nanosecond for your brain to put everything together. i.e- Cars on either side not moving-abnormal. Fast car at intersection-abnormal. LIGHT STILL RED!- Uh oh.

That is all a function of the brain, and although it may not have calculated everything precisely to form the 'thought' it was simultaneously telling me that there were an abnormal set of circumstances. It most certainly was not the work of a god, but people often want to attribute things like that to god. Why? For the life of me I can't figure it out.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I know this is kinda going to be a controversial answer and others will disagree, but I really believe that in order for prayers to be answered, the first prayer God wants to answer is your prayer to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior. It begins there IMO. I think this is the first step to establishing a relationship with God and having your prayers answered. I'm not saying that God is in a box and won't answer prayers before we come to this place, but I really think this is key to being able to expect an answer from Him.
kaykay,

I don't think that's the case. If any religious person were to look at my life they'd probably say god answered a lot of prayers for me. That's not the case. I've never asked god for anything and I have a lot of wonderful things in my life. I'm not just referring to materialistic things either. Good things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. Bad things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people. I don't think any of it is a result of prayer, or lack thereof.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
kaykay,

I don't think that's the case. If any religious person were to look at my life they'd probably say god answered a lot of prayers for me. That's not the case. I've never asked god for anything and I have a lot of wonderful things in my life. I'm not just referring to materialistic things either. Good things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. Bad things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people. I don't think any of it is a result of prayer, or lack thereof.
gcstroop, please be more careful while driving AND while coffee drinking!

Old 12-08-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
gcstroop, please be more careful while driving AND while coffee drinking!
I know... I guess I'm kind of a klutz

Old 12-08-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I know... I guess I'm kind of a klutz
me OOOOOPS too Ooooops!

Old 12-08-2007, 04:35 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
this is the kind of answer i feared. so you believe that god only answers "certain" people's prayers? that doesnt seem fair or right to me. god (if there is a god, im really starting to wonder lately) knows who i am and that i speak to him all the time and i dont like to think that he/she wont help me just because i am not like others. what kind of god is that? i dont believe this to be true.
It sounds like you are questioning if there is a God. Have ever asked Jesus into your heart to forgive you of your sins, do you know Jesus? As we recognize God's authority, holiness and glory then submit to His leadership our relationship with Him grows stronger. First you have to build a relationship with Him, reading His Word and talking to Him, believing He is who He said He is, trusting Him.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It sounds like you are questioning if there is a God. Have ever asked Jesus into your heart to forgive you of your sins, do you know Jesus? As we recognize God's authority, holiness and glory then submit to His leadership our relationship with Him grows stronger. First you have to build a relationship with Him, reading His Word and talking to Him, believing He is who He said He is, trusting Him.
i dont believe in jesus. just tend to believe in god. there is a difference right? but yes, i am reaaaallly starting to think this whole subject is pointless. there are no correct answers it seems. it's frustrating and im not going to ask any more questions cuz it's a waste of time.
ThAnKs FOr aLL yOur HELp thoUGh IlnC!

Old 12-08-2007, 05:27 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
I am really starting to doubt that prayers are answered at all. Does God only answer the prayers of a select few?
What a let down!
I don't know why some prayers go unanswered and a lot of things don't make sense to me, however, I also do not know my future and I do not know what my present would have been if my unanswered prayers were actually answered. I love my present now and wouldn't have changed anything. All I can do is to trust that God knows better what's better for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality