Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have a Master's in theology...yet it doesn't stop the fools that have biology degrees from telling me they know more about God than I do.

Maybe you should have listened to him.
You do? How is it that the unbelievers here are able to make mincemeat of you?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You do? How is it that the unbelievers here are able to make mincemeat of you?
Because like minds tend to agree? Mincemeat is in the eye of the beholder. The fact is, I have handled myself very well here...but as someone once said, "You can lead an Atheist to the truth...but you can't make them think". The other side will always have their cheerleader fanboys who will never admit the truth, and are unwilling to look at it objectively--instead siding with each other to the death.

I have yet to figure out why some people troll religious message boards when they so vehemently oppose religion.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Because like minds tend to agree? Mincemeat is in the eye of the beholder. The fact is, I have handled myself very well here...but as someone once said, "You can lead an Atheist to the truth...but you can't make them think". The other side will always have their cheerleader fanboys who will never admit the truth, and are unwilling to look at it objectively--instead siding with each other to the death.

I have yet to figure out why some people troll religious message boards when they so vehemently oppose religion.
Lemme s'plain:

Because there are fundamentalist buttmunches who insist on polluting those aforementioned boards with their intolerance and fear mongering.

They need to be countered.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I used to get the sort of encounters of which the OP speaks of all the the time. Then it just stopped when I became a Christian. How did They know? Did God tell them no need to preach the Good News to me? I kid thee not.

Perhaps God is knocking on the door of some people's heart.
I have to admit that's a good one! Of course we have to reckon with you recalling the occurrences through the scrying -glass of faith. Or even that you feel it is legitimate to set up the 'I used to be pestered by Fundamentalists, when I was an atheist, like you...but ever since I started taking new, super Religion they don't bother me any more!' advert with the 'maybe God it trying to attract your attention by sending fundies to put you off religion and everything to do with it.'

Not too likely, is it? And did you come to religion through the pestering of the Fundies or through some other way? If some other way, then the fundies really did nothing for you and the story you tell is, as I say, remembered with a bit of bias..or, as I suggested, just a good story (and it was) justified if someone can be mentally knocked sideways into the 'Gosh..it must be true' posture that is the way converts are made, rather than by any sound reasoning.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-18-2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
"You can lead an Atheist to the truth...but you can't make them think". He must have been an idiot. One thing you can do with an atheist is get them to think...if they are a 'Thinking' atheist. You can lead them to the 'Truth' (a Theist word which means 'Faith') but you cannot make them accept it without some good reasons. And those, as I recall with a fair degree of confidence, have been notably lacking.

You, on your side, will have seen us 'trolling' as you so charitably put it provocative challenges tossed out by this or that Bible literalist and giving them a thorough and much - needed education, which is routinely ignored.

Indeed you can lead some people of the religious persuasion to what is (evidently) true, but you can't make them think. Instead their minds skitter off into irrelevancy or some sort of objection...anything will do as a pretext to keep the mind closed. (1)

Quote:
For the reasons I have explained before but which evidently cannot get through to you..because the irrationality, unsound claims and false basis for any authority have been left unchallenged.And I'd say that makes you mincemeat, once again.

(1) I can predict that this full explanation in response to your post (which clearly got up your nose ) would have elicited a 'Well such a wordy response shows that I must have touched a raw nerve... ' had I not forestalled you.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
"You can lead an Atheist to the truth...but you can't make them think". He must have been an idiot. One thing you can do with an atheist is get them to think...if they are a 'Thinking' atheist. You can lead them to the 'Truth' (a Theist word which means 'Faith') but you cannot make them accept it without some good reasons. And those, as I recall with a fair degree of confidence, have been notably lacking.
No...I mean "think". It's mind-boggling the level of fundamentalism that some atheists hold to. It's a philosophy, and they are not willing to accept anything that goes against their philosophy.
Quote:
You, on your side, will have seen us 'trolling' as you so charitably put it provocative challenges tossed out by this or that Bible literalist and giving them a thorough and much - needed education, which is routinely ignored.
I'm not accusing anyone in particular of trolling. I merely observed that it happens, and asked if you think it's appropriate.
Quote:
Indeed you can lead some people of the religious persuasion to what is (evidently) true, but you can't make them think. Instead their minds skitter off into irrelevancy or some sort of objection...anything will do as a pretext to keep the mind closed. (1)
I agree- some people will not engage in critical thinking. That goes for atheists as well as religious.
Quote:
For the reasons I have explained before but which evidently cannot get through to you..because the irrationality, unsound claims and false basis for any authority have been left unchallenged.And I'd say that makes you mincemeat, once again.
Again....that mincemeat is in the eye of the beholder.
Quote:
(1) I can predict that this full explanation in response to your post (which clearly got up your nose ) would have elicited a 'Well such a wordy response shows that I must have touched a raw nerve... ' had I not forestalled you.
I wasn't really going to go there. But since you brought it up....why are you so worked up?

Old 04-18-2014, 11:53 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Be glad you don't wear the outward signs of belonging to another religion.

That produces an entirely different monologue from that type of person, and it typically isn't as polite as what you experienced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I wonder if there is some type of psychlogical imbalance?...I tend to bring up discussion only with those of a faith and when I do not know, I leave myself available for those who broach the subject themselves...
It is all a matter of communication. Most people are actually very eager to communicate with others about any topic. Provided there is an open door policy and the doors of communication are not shut.

Many Fundamentalist Evangelicals do not seem to know how to communicate with people that do not believe as they do. They shut all doors to communication with the first words out of their mouths.

Often if I am approached by an Evangelist that recognizes I am Muslim the first words I hear will be something similar to this: "Friend let me show you Jesus(as) and he will save you from the Muslim road to hell."

Fortunately I never appeal to my first desire which is to shove the idiot down the nearest sewer drain. Beyond getting a polite "No Thank you" He will get no further conversation from me.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It is all a matter of communication. Most people are actually very eager to communicate with others about any topic. Provided there is an open door policy and the doors of communication are not shut.

Many Fundamentalist Evangelicals do not seem to know how to communicate with people that do not believe as they do. They shut all doors to communication with the first words out of their mouths.

Often if I am approached by an Evangelist that recognizes I am Muslim the first words I hear will be something similar to this: "Friend let me show you Jesus(as) and he will save you from the Muslim road to hell."

Fortunately I never appeal to my first desire which is to shove the idiot down the nearest sewer drain. Beyond getting a polite "No Thank you" He will get no further conversation from me.
Likewise, I've known some Muslims that are very closed-minded and have no clue what the Bible actually teaches. They are very quick to tell me all about how Christianity is wrong, and how we supposedly have a wrong understanding of the Bible. We've seen that on this very board when a Muslim posts a video supposedly finding Allah or Muhammed in the Bible....and they have no motive other than to share Islam with us.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:14 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Likewise, I've known some Muslims that are very closed-minded and have no clue what the Bible actually teaches. They are very quick to tell me all about how Christianity is wrong, and how we supposedly have a wrong understanding of the Bible. We've seen that on this very board when a Muslim posts a video supposedly finding Allah or Muhammed in the Bible....and they have no motive other than to share Islam with us.
True, I agree that closes all doors of communication and pretty much blocks any discussion. At the very least it is distasteful at the worse it is an insult to the viewer and also to Islam.

A forced answer when a question has not been asked is very much an unwanted assumption.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:43 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:

We're atheists BECAUSE we can think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.