Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,467,003 times

Advertisements

I am not convinced of this. I do not subscribe to any religion but I do have a special relationship with God. It is getting to be too much. I do not have a support system. I do the best I can but I just keep getting doors slammed in my face. The weirdest things keep happening to me. I feel like someone is literally blocking me from prosperity. I do not know what to do.

I cannot even get the title of my thread right. I am just a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 05:23 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,942,271 times
I don't believe it either. I didn't even believe it when I believed in God. First of all, if God didn't give people more than they could handle we would not have drug addiction, abuse, and suicide. Second of all, it's people who give people more than they can handle - I don't (didn't) think God handed all those things to people.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:40 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,467,003 times
It does not make me feel any better but you are right. It sounds crazy but I envy people who are able to escape sometimes. I have no escape. I see, hear and feel everything.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:42 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,034,391 times
I am the opposite, I believe we are given all we need to handle whatever obstacles we face. However, because we have the ability does not mean we will use it.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:53 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,361,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't believe it either. I didn't even believe it when I believed in God. First of all, if God didn't give people more than they could handle we would not have drug addiction, abuse, and suicide. Second of all, it's people who give people more than they can handle - I don't (didn't) think God handed all those things to people.
Trust me, it's true. Life seems overwhelming sometimes, but if you decide it's "more than I can handle" it just proves you have poor coping skills. If you push through and try anyway, you'd be surprised at what you can do.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:43 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,883,709 times
I am a very avid golfer. When one of my fellow players faces a difficult shot, I tell them, "God wouldn't give you a challenge if he didn't think you could handle it."

Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,314,254 times
I agree.

Where was God when I praying multiple times a day to guide me out of my depression? I'll be honest, I'm was angry with him for several months for not helping me. I was having neurological problems that were very embarrassing. Did I expect quick results? Of course! Heck, I almost didn't graduate from high school on time.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:59 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,034,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I am the opposite, I believe we are given all we need to handle whatever obstacles we face. However, because we have the ability does not mean we will use it.
I want to clarify. I do not see that as ruling out medication if needed. I see all choices we are given as being part of the means to handle our trials. We have been given intelligence, as a tool. The use of medicines if needed is simply making use of a tool given to use. It is needless to suffer pain, illness etc if we have a means to alleviate it.

Acknowledging we have the ability to conquer all obstacles does not mean we must be stoic and just grit our teeth and take it.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:23 PM

641 posts, read 557,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am not convinced of this. I do not subscribe to any religion but I do have a special relationship with God. It is getting to be too much. I do not have a support system. I do the best I can but I just keep getting doors slammed in my face. The weirdest things keep happening to me. I feel like someone is literally blocking me from prosperity. I do not know what to do.

I cannot even get the title of my thread right. I am just a mess.
This 100% sounds like depression speaking. This is a treatable condition, and it's something you may be shocked to see disappear with medication and talk therapy. That being said, an internet discussion forum for religion is not a good place to receive help with the way you're feeling and the thoughts you're thinking. We are not clinically trained here, and we're GUARANTEED to give you bad advice.

If you have insurance, find out which providers are covered and go see one. If you don't, find some community mental health resources. You'll be surprised by how many of your "spiritual" problems are actually psychological.

Good luck

Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,291,819 times
not so he says that you will find a way to bear it but that includes death and failure, so watch it.
and sometimes you in fact fail but rise up again to kick butt.
so watch what you take on. if you think god told you to do it, jump off the bridge but first put on a bungie cord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality