Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Give it up, Viz. You're whupped up, down and sideways.
No...I really haven't been given the answer to my most basic question.

What system of morality do you appeal to that is authoritative enough to state that another culture, in a different time and place is wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 11:17 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

What system of morality do you appeal to that is authoritative enough to state that another culture, in a different time and place is wrong?
An external authority is not required to legitimize morality. Superior morality is self-legitimizing in the sense that it promotes the sustainable existence of the culture that gives rise to it.

So to answer your question directly, I don't "appeal" to any moral system, I embrace a particular moral system because I share its belief that it is the best currently available system. The best currently available system in my view is the one that exists in democratic republics, and it is "less wrong" and "more right" than its predecessors mostly because the predecessor cultures are now dead other than leaving behind the best of their ideas which we have built upon and refined.

Do you appeal to the authority of Ford Motor Company when you judge a 2014 Ford superior to a 1925 Model T? Or do you use your own judgment? Do you appeal to the authority of Ford in judging a 2014 Ford superior to a 1955 DeSoto, or do you factor in that DeSoto went belly up and Ford didn't?

Old 05-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
An external authority is not required to legitimize morality. Superior morality is self-legitimizing in the sense that it promotes the sustainable existence of the culture that gives rise to it.
How do you KNOW that? Where does this morality come from?
Quote:
So to answer your question directly, I don't "appeal" to any moral system, I embrace a particular moral system because I share its belief that it is the best currently available system. The best currently available system in my view is the one that exists in democratic republics, and it is "less wrong" and "more right" than its predecessors mostly because the predecessor cultures are now dead other than leaving behind the best of their ideas which we have built upon and refined.

Do you appeal to the authority of Ford Motor Company when you judge a 2014 Ford superior to a 1925 Model T? Or do you use your own judgment? Do you appeal to the authority of Ford in judging a 2014 Ford superior to a 1955 DeSoto, or do you factor in that DeSoto went belly up and Ford didn't?
What aspect are you going to judge these automobiles on? Dependability? Speed? Looks?

Old 05-03-2014, 01:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
You're just embarrassing yourself now.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:

You've been given the answer over and over by many different posters. Every time you say you haven't, you get more and more people laughing at you.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:59 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
How do you KNOW that? Where does this morality come from?
How does one KNOW anything? By claiming that an invisible being must authorize it, or by observation and deduction?

As to where my morality comes from, I have explained that many times.
Quote:
What aspect are you going to judge these automobiles on? Dependability? Speed? Looks?
What difference does it make. If I am purchasing an automobile, I judge it by whatever criteria it pleases me to judge it by. And then I decide what to purchase based on that. I don't determine which make of automobile is more correct or legitimate because it's based on a higher authority than some other one. If I want dependability, speed, looks, maintainability, economy, efficiency, durability, particular colors or styles, or some combination of those and other things, then that's what I evaluate and judge. I don't need authority to do that other than the authority that I'm the buyer and hold the purse strings.

It's the same with religious ideations. I am the buyer, and if you don't produce something I can rationally accept then I ain't buyin'.

In ages past, religion got by to a certain degree by asserting that you or I have on choice but to believe, using hellthreat, guilt, shame, social pressure, pain of death, etc. But the truth is, no one can actually make anyone believe anything; it is entirely a function of the evidence unless one chooses to not look at evidence at all. And I do not base my beliefs on unsubstantiated assertions from time out of mind. I base them on whatever evidence is available, and if there is not enough evidence on which to base a belief, then I withhold it. It's quite simple, actually.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:18 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have taken obliviousness (or deliberate refusal to acknowledge) to new heights by ignoring everyone who has answered you and continuing to ask the same question over and over without answering the question posed to YOU. What is YOUR " actual objective standard of morality that spans time and cultures, Vizio?"
Quote:
We see God's morals spelled out -- specifically in the 10 Commandments and the moral law. Don't steal, don't kill, etc. Ultimately...in loving our neighbors as ourselves.
You know I agree with the "love God and each other" standard, Vizio . . . but is that truly YOURS . . . because you have said otherwise in posts defending the OT God's egregious immorality. You have said that WHATEVER God did or does or orders is moral! That is a very different standard than the one you claim here of loving God and each other . . . which covers far more than the Ten Commandments.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You've been given the answer over and over by many different posters. Every time you say you haven't, you get more and more people laughing at you.
No..I really haven't. You've tried. But you've been found lacking.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You know I agree with the "love God and each other" standard, Vizio . . . but is that truly YOURS . . . because you have said otherwise in posts defending the OT God's egregious immorality. You have said that WHATEVER God did or does or orders is moral! That is a very different standard than the one you claim here of loving God and each other . . . which covers far more than the Ten Commandments.
Your failure to understand is because your view of God is too small. If you truly understood the holiness of God, you'd realize God is certainly justified in doing such things.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
How does one KNOW anything? By claiming that an invisible being must authorize it, or by observation and deduction?

As to where my morality comes from, I have explained that many times.
And you have yet to tell me what reason one would have to believe your system over anyone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality