Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

The Bible gives moral authority?

Let's consider the two cases of where Paul returns the slave verses Huck Finn tearing up the letter to the slave owner of Jim.

Paul returns the runaway slave, Onesimus, to his "rightful owner," Philemon. He preaches that this is the right thing to do.

Huck, on the other hand, fully aware of the lessons he learned in Sunday school and Paul's admonition that slaves belong to owners and runaways need to be returned, does the right thing morally stating "All right, then, I'll go to hell!"

Who is giving better moral guidance here? Paul or Huck Finn?

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:17 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Huck, of course. It's a no-brainer.

Why?

Because slavery was wrong, is wrong, and will always be wrong - despite what the bible says.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:54 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Why?

Because slavery was wrong, is wrong, and will always be wrong - despite what the bible says.
And if ever there was evidence that one does not need an ancient book to develop a moral/ethical code, this is it - that we've decided that slavery is wrong, despite the fact that the Bible variously endorses or tacitly condones it.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Why?

I'll go with Huck. And my Christian ancestors who helped slaves escape via the Underground Railroad.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The Bible gives moral authority?

Let's consider the two cases of where Paul returns the slave verses Huck Finn tearing up the letter to the slave owner of Jim.

Paul returns the runaway slave, Onesimus, to his "rightful owner," Philemon. He preaches that this is the right thing to do.

Huck, on the other hand, fully aware of the lessons he learned in Sunday school and Paul's admonition that slaves belong to owners and runaways need to be returned, does the right thing morally stating "All right, then, I'll go to hell!"

Who is giving better moral guidance here? Paul or Huck Finn?

Why?
Why are you trying to compare 1800's slavery to that of the Roman empire? That's like comparing apples to oranges.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-01-2014 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: attack

Old 04-22-2014, 12:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'll go with Huck. And my Christian ancestors who helped slaves escape via the Underground Railroad.
Were any of those anscetors Quakers who didn't believe in a Bible of their own but instead in "the Holy Spirit," trapped in no book?

Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why are you trying to compare 1800's slavery to that of the Roman empire? That's like comparing apples to oranges. Moderator cut: orphaned
I think the atheists, etc are saying that "owning human beings as property" is wrong... No matter how well you might suppose to treat such people whom you have equated with material possessions. The slavery of the Israelite kingdoms and the Roman empire wasn't pretty, which is why rules were designed to control the details, yet even those rules were only easing the evil, not ending it. Both cultures probably thought slavery was necessary to the economy, but I think slavery actually diminishes the respect of work, since labor is made to become the realm of subcitizens.

Either way, I think Mark Twain was likely a smarter and nicer person than Saul of Tarsus.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-01-2014 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I think the atheists, etc are saying that "owning human beings as property" is wrong...
OK? First of all...do you know that the idea of Roman slavery in the first century really wasn't "owning a slave" like what the 1800's was? Have you ever really looked at it?

Second of all....by what moral ground can one say that? I'm not suggesting that it is right--I just want to know what you or the OP can appeal to to judge another culture in a different time?
Quote:

No matter how well you might suppose to treat such people whom you have equated with material possessions. The slavery of the Israelite kingdoms and the Roman empires wasn't pretty, which is why rules were designed to control the details, yet even those rules were only easing the evil, not ending it. Both cultures probably thought slavery was necessary to the economy, but I think slavery actually diminishes the respect of work, since labor is made to become the realm of subcitizens.

Either way, I think Mark Twain was likely a smarter and nicer person than Saul of Tarsus.
Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn't. I honestly don't care.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why are you trying to compare 1800's slavery to that of the Roman empire? That's like comparing apples to oranges.

Moderator cut: orphaned
I don't claim to be reading cupper's mind, but I think he was comparing the morals of Paul to the moral of Mark Twain.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-01-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't claim to be reading cupper's mind, but I think he was comparing the morals of Paul to the moral of Mark Twain.
I get that. But I don't think comparing slavery in the 1st century to slavery in America of 200 years ago to be a valid comparison. They are as different as apples and oranges. I'm not sure the OP realizes that--or that you do, either. Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality