Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 04:10 PM

331 posts, read 547,759 times

Advertisements

* Multiple wife-sister narratives in Genesis. Also strange that the story in Matthew about Herod killing newborns is like the story of Moses. Exact same stories play out in different times in history.

* Characters disappear, never to be seen again, e.g. Enoch.

* Lots of very even numbers. For instance, the number of people "sealed" in Revelations is 144,000 -- 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of Israel. It almost seems like God arbitrarily picks groups of individuals so that they'll number a certain power or multiple of 2, 3, 7 or 12.

* A bunch of prophecies were made about a Messiah figure who would come and save Israel from its enemy. None of the prophesies indicated that he would be a divine figure or that the prophesies were metaphorical. Plot twist: Turns out the Messiah who comes is God Himself (also God's son, somehow) and was starting a new religion that revealed metaphors in the Old Testament.

* The Messiah says he'll return during the generation of his disciples, but he really meant that he wouldn't return for over 2,000 years.

* Lots of battles and other events predicted in the book of Revelations seem to be archaic. Armageddon is horses and spears in a valley during an age of Apache helicopters and nuclear warheads (or more advanced technology if the battle doesn't happen for another millennium).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:51 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
* Multiple wife-sister narratives in Genesis. Also strange that the story in Matthew about Herod killing newborns is like the story of Moses. Exact same stories play out in different times in history.

* Lots of very even numbers. For instance, the number of people "sealed" in Revelations is 144,000 -- 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of Israel. It almost seems like God arbitrarily picks groups of individuals so that they'll number a certain power or multiple of 2, 3, 7 or 12.

* A bunch of prophecies were made about a Messiah figure who would come and save Israel from its enemy. None of the prophesies indicated that he would be a divine figure or that the prophesies were metaphorical. Plot twist: Turns out the Messiah who comes is God Himself (also God's son, somehow) and was starting a new religion that revealed metaphors in the Old Testament.

* The Messiah says he'll return during the generation of his disciples, but he really meant that he wouldn't return for over 2,000 years.

* Lots of battles and other events predicted in the book of Revelations seem to be archaic. Armageddon is horses and spears in a valley during an age of Apache helicopters and nuclear warheads (or more advanced technology if the battle doesn't happen for another millennium).
One simple answer, they are all fables.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:05 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:

The Old Testament is a collection of creation myths, fables, and some vague history passed down over generations by illiterate nomadic sheepherders. It was written down hundreds of years after the fact and then translated into another language that was then translated into yet another language, ie, a copy of a copy of a copy.

The New Testament was a collection of tales about a man named Jesus of Nazareth whom Christians consider their Messiah, again written decades after the fact, as well as some texts written by early Christian leaders. Furthermore, the New Testament represents only those ideas and doctrines that "passed muster" with various powerful Church leaders a few hundred years after Jesus' crucifixion.

Horses and spears were the high tech weapons of the day, and that's what shows that Revelations predicts nothing for the future. I agree with you that if it really was predictive, it would at least feature modern high tech weapons.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
* Multiple wife-sister narratives in Genesis.
Could you elaborate, please? I'm not sure exactly what you mean? Was it the story of Cain marrying is sister? Or Abraham lying about Sarah being his wife?
Quote:

Also strange that the story in Matthew about Herod killing newborns is like the story of Moses. Exact same stories play out in different times in history.
How do you know that? You've never seen history repeat itself? If you were to read a book 1000 years from now, you may think the story of Germany in WW II was simply a rehash of WWI when they were on the offensive.
Quote:
Why would you expect it to give a detailed account of the life of everyone that ever lived?
Quote:

OK? And?
Quote:
Actually, there are quite a few prophecies that indicate the Messiah would be divine.
Quote:
He never said that.
Quote:
You do realize that in many parts of the world they are still fighting from horseback, even with modern things like surface-to-air missiles, right?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 PM

995 posts, read 955,970 times
I think the horse represents the internet, and the battle will take place right here on debate forums. I think Odin and his eight-legged horse is the Rider in Rev 19, or at least, Odin will give victory to the Rider who debates online. Odin created warrior deities, just as we create digital deities on online forums to do battle, and some go to die (get banned), just as Thor and others die in battle.

I think Odin and Norse religion is prophecy of Armageddon/Ragnarok. I believe the Norse religion was made for all warriors who fight the battles of the Gods, as we all do on line on forums like this. It all takes place in a different realm (digital universe).

Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
I think the horse represents the internet, and the battle will take place right here on debate forums. I think Odin and his eight-legged horse is the Rider in Rev 19, or at least, Odin will give victory to the Rider who debates online. Odin created warrior deities, just as we create digital deities on online forums to do battle, and some go to die (get banned), just as Thor and others die in battle.

I think Odin and Norse religion is prophecy of Armageddon/Ragnarok. I believe the Norse religion was made for all warriors who fight the battles of the Gods, as we all do on line on forums like this. It all takes place in a different realm (digital universe).
Makes as much sense as Vizio's version.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:30 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

You do realize that in many parts of the world they are still fighting from horseback, even with modern things like surface-to-air missiles, right?
Right. Afghanistan and west Pakistan maybe.

Ukraine and Russia?

Putin's bare chested picture notwithstanding.

Give it a break, Vizio.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:45 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The Old Testament is a collection of creation myths, fables, and some vague history passed down over generations by illiterate nomadic sheepherders. It was written down hundreds of years after the fact and then translated into another language that was then translated into yet another language, ie, a copy of a copy of a copy.

The New Testament was a collection of tales about a man named Jesus of Nazareth whom Christians consider their Messiah, again written decades after the fact, as well as some texts written by early Christian leaders. Furthermore, the New Testament represents only those ideas and doctrines that "passed muster" with various powerful Church leaders a few hundred years after Jesus' crucifixion.

Horses and spears were the high tech weapons of the day, and that's what shows that Revelations predicts nothing for the future. I agree with you that if it really was predictive, it would at least feature modern high tech weapons.

The Bible is a history of the Jews, a vessel for God to speak to us, and lifestyle principles that are amazingly relevant to even today's society. For example, Dave Ramsey has helped thousands solve their financial problems by using biblical teachings regarding debt and money management.

The problem with your claim is that the history of the Jews played out exactly like the Bible predicted. They were scattered to many nations, faced great persecution, yet became a nation again, revived a dead language, and this tiny nation in a desert wasteland became one of the most prosperous nations in the Middle East providing exports to many nations. If I had to choose a Middle Eastern country to live in, I would definitely want to live in Israel.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
Quote:
* Multiple wife-sister narratives in Genesis. Also strange that the story in Matthew about Herod killing newborns is like the story of Moses. Exact same stories play out in different times in history...
Const, Good conversation..
These are questions I wrestle with myself.. You mention the Jesus' nativity story in Matthew.. The nativity is one of the strangest aspects of the Gospel for me. It's conspicuous absence from Mark which is believed to be the earliest Gospel, is hard for me to explain or defend as a Christian. How could such a miraculous event be left out, un-cited, or ultimately unknown by the first Gospel (?) And if the nativity was factual (not a posthumous, idealogical addition), how could Jesus be left in virtual obscurity for 30 years. Wouldn't someone whose birth brought that attention.. be subsequently followed around & chronicled throughout his childhood (?) /The nativity narrative is the most suspect part of the Jesus' story for me personally../ But I try to uphold my faith..

In terms of conflicting Biblical stories, doctrine, etc.. that to me reflects the reality that it is essentially a library of books, not a single narrative. Even the canonical Gospels were initially individual, separated, accounts. peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality