Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:07 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Sure it is. Atheists believe in something that cannot be proven one way or another. Even is that belief is a negative, is in "there is no"

Atheism is not the same as science. Neither is Christianity or any other God centered religion you can name.
Do you believe in Zeus? Mithras? Horus? Thor(although you do celebrate his day, Thursday)? What about Freya? You celebrate her special day also.

What about Eueucoyotl, Buku, or Anu?

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:51 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Sure it is. Atheists believe in something that cannot be proven one way or another. Even is that belief is a negative, is in "there is no"

Atheism is not the same as science. Neither is Christianity or any other God centered religion you can name.
Ugh... This is such an annoying accusation. I don't know why it gets under my skin so much. I guess because it has this passive aggressive undertone that insinuates that you, the random poster on the internet, have some sort of wisdom to define what me, some Atheist in another part of the world, happens to believe or not believe.

Not to mention this argument is really an unequivocal logical fallacy. We are forced, by the very proclamation of one's belief in anything at all, to take a stance on believing or not. If you believe the stars are all magical bits of fairy dust used to create the universe and you bring that to my attention, I am forced to either agree or disagree with you. Not agreeing with you does not make it true that I "believe in something that cannot be proven one way or the other." It just means that you're a pestering bother who backed me into a corner and demanded an answer.

I agree that Atheism is not the same thing as science though many Atheists rely on science for a good many answer to a good many questions. However, making ridiculous claims about the universe and then asking my position on it does not suddenly make me a "believer of something" or a "faith based person" or any of those other terms people use to try and put me on the same playing ground as a person of religious faith.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, technically speaking, Buddhists are supposed to be atheists. So, I guess Buddhist temples qualify.

However, the religion has many supernatural beliefs.
A lot of Buddhist denominations believe in gods (spiritual aliens) and ghosts and stuff.

Still, like grand master Macklemore sang "... this boot is my Vatican!"

Or you can go get info from books in libraries/stores and people outside. Or the Internet: atheist-experience.com !! Woot! The Internet! Full of books and people!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:38 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
My dad used to "enlighten" me with the flick of a switch.

Ouch!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:42 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Are there atheist temples where one can become a monk and learn things such as discipline? There are many theist temples of various religions dedicated to such learning... What about atheist temples?
They won't get enlightened on C-D Forum that is for sure.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:08 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
They won't get enlightened on C-D Forum that is for sure.
Actually, I think they can. There is a widely diverse group of opinions here. Searching old threads, reading current ones, and asking questions is a great way to gain information here. Since the specific topic is "Where does an atheist go to become enlightened," I would recommend the Atheism & Agnosticism forum first.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,345 times
Where does an atheist go to become enlightened?

Every human is born with a sense of justice and fairness. We don't have to "go" anywhere to be enlightened, but it is important to talk with people and think about philosophy to enlighten ourselves. We don't accept the authority of a human self-proclaimed judge of what is right and wrong. We do however, respect the words of people who have earned the respect through their own commitment to learning and how they treat others.

One of my favorite places to go for "enlightenment" is a forest.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:22 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Are there atheist temples where one can become a monk and learn things such as discipline? There are many theist temples of various religions dedicated to such learning... What about atheist temples?
Have you considered trying the universities and libraries?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:07 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
So many references to Universities and Libraries, all true. But for us atheists, anything which provides a rational, scientific and sane answer is fair game.
I once asked a theist if she had ever read Joseph Campbell's Inner Reaches of Outer Space....her response was "NO I only read the Bible, nothing else"

This could help to explain the relatively low IQ of many Bibleans and evangelicals. We as atheists use anything we can find to further our minds and knowledge, while some limit theirs to an antiquated book of bronze age mythology.
Fortunately for mankind, we atheists engage in this practice.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I once asked a theist if she had ever read Joseph Campbell's Inner Reaches of Outer Space....her response was "NO I only read the Bible, nothing else"
That's pitiful, but not at all the usual. My Christian father has read literally thousands of books, most on philosophy, languages, cultures and other stuff I would call intellectual. He's not the usual, either. I'm saying you can't generalize that all Christians are unintellectual. It's just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality