Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between ignoring and actively ignoring the real world and science as a person of faith.

Does your faith require you to ignore (actively or otherwise) anything you observe in the world around you?

Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 04:30 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What is the difference between ignoring and actively ignoring the real world and science as a person of faith.

Does your faith require you to ignore (actively or otherwise) anything you observe in the world around you?

Why or why not?
No, I don't think so, with the exception of trying to ignore my natural reaction to certain people or situations. I don't always succeed, unfortunately. But I'll keep working on that.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,319 times
detractors often define faith as belief without evidence.
They are completely missing the point.
It is entirely possible to know that something must be true yet still lack faith in it.
In such a case having faith is a perfectly rational thing to do.

True faith is believing in something so strongly that you aren't afraid to analyze that belief objectively.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:42 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:

Why or why not?
I love this question. There is definitely a difference between fundamentalist thinking and the way I think. I have faith, but I also think God gave me the brains to think outside the box. My faith does not require me to ignore science because I'm not a Biblical literalist. One doesn't have to pick.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:57 AM

277 posts, read 436,187 times
On the flip side, I've got a friend who's a doctor who treats this guy with a massive gunshot wound. He says "that would've killed 99 out of 100 people. I don't know why this guy lived. No one does. It cannot be explained There's no scientific reason he's alive right now." So I ask him "Well, do you believe in evolution, and that all around us can be explained through science?" He responds "Yes, I believe in evolution but not everything can be explained through science. Some things simply cannot be understood or explained, there's always the possibility of a higher power and that evolution could come from that power."

Who knows. Definitely not my area of expertise. I won't reject science, but I do know that the human race has begun to take itself a little too seriously. We need to remember that we are flawed in nature. It seems that every time we think we have the end cure to aids or cancer, something's wrong with it. We can get closer to the answers to life's biggest questions, but I don't think we'll ever get there. Because of that, everyone needs faith. In something...whether it be God, life, inexplicable kindness, compassion, etc.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:42 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I love this question. There is definitely a difference between fundamentalist thinking and the way I think. I have faith, but I also think God gave me the brains to think outside the box. My faith does not require me to ignore science because I'm not a Biblical literalist. One doesn't have to pick.
And you certainly are not alone in thinking that way.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:50 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Faith belongs where science doesn't even bother to tread. Science is the means of regarding the knowable; faith is the means of regarding the unknowable.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:

Why or why not?
You tell us. I'm guessing you probably believe in evolution? Global warming? Despite all the science that goes against them....people still cling to the notions. Why?

As a Christian, I have no problem with science. The truth does no harm to anything I believe. The only question is....what is true and what is not?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You tell us. I'm guessing you probably believe in evolution? Global warming? Despite all the science that goes against them....people still cling to the notions. Why?

As a Christian, I have no problem with science. The truth does no harm to anything I believe. The only question is....what is true and what is not?
The evidence for evolution is overwhelming, and is settled science.

As far as global warming is concerned, let me draw an analogy.

If 97 doctors say you need an operation to save your life, are you going to take the advice of the 3 who tell you the 97 are wrong, and aspirin and herbal teas will save you?

If you listen to the 97 doctors, why would you not listen to the 97% of earth scientists who trek us we have a problem?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:38 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
The evidence for evolution is overwhelming, and is settled science.
No...it really isn't. Not if you care to look at all the evidence.
Quote:
As far as global warming is concerned, let me draw an analogy.

If 97 doctors say you need an operation to save your life, are you going to take the advice of the 3 who tell you the 97 are wrong, and aspirin and herbal teas will save you?

If you listen to the 97 doctors, why would you not listen to the 97% of earth scientists who trek us we have a problem?
Again...it really depends on what you consider "truth".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality