Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

If I am into martial arts, and my body is considered a weapon, than I am excluded from church correct ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He rebuked them for trying to stop him from being arrested to go to the cross.
Really? That is all?
Quote:
Matt 26
52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.
Quote:
John 18
11 Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”
Never mind that in the Matt gospel Judas kisses him and in the John gospel Jesus identifies himself; or that in the Matt account Jesus asks his followers to resist themselves for their own protection and in the John account Jesus uses seemingly magical powers to send the Roman solders to the ground to protect his followers.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If I am into martial arts, and my body is considered a weapon, than I am excluded from church correct ?
Good point, might as well bring ninja stars, bazookas, and nuclear weapons in there... We have to be consistent if we give martial artists the freedom to walk around public places with their arms and legs. Guns and martial artists are pretty much equal, after all.

Wait, that's not a good point at all, in any way.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:41 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
This thread is about neither martial arts, nor excluding weapons from church, it is about allowing guns in church.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I agree. For that reason, I don't personally carry a gun. But the 2nd Ammendment guarantees you the right to do so if you want.
Where does the 2nd do that? Have you read it?

Do you know what a "well-regulated militia" is?

Do you know that the 2nd only applied to the Federal government until the South lost their war for independence (and the rights of minority federal citizens and the supremacy of the Feds had to be outlined to the states)?

A whole new article was created to outline how states had to treat federal citizens with the same federal rights that the Feds guaranteed.

Still, what is a "well-regulated militia"? How does "keep and bear arms" mean what ever weapons the NRA oligarchs are comfortable selling?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Why on earth, in this day and age, anybody needs to carry a gun around at all is beyond me.

I'm no Christian but I'm pretty sure this is the opposite of what Christ represents:
Cruithne, in the minds of our ancestors who fought with Richard the Lion Hearted in the Crusades, that was exactly what Christ represented.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:44 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Why on earth, in this day and age, anybody needs to carry a gun around at all is beyond me.
I'm no Christian but I'm pretty sure this is the opposite of what Christ represents:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Cruithne, in the minds of our ancestors who fought with Richard the Lion Hearted in the Crusades, that was exactly what Christ represented.
She did say "in this day and age!" To be fair . . . there ARE communities and countries where having a gun does make some worldly sense.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:
I don't think so. Not unless you can do this.

this

or this

Other than those.......I think you're ok.

Last edited by baystater; 04-30-2014 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 06:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Where does the 2nd do that? Have you read it?

Do you know what a "well-regulated militia" is?

Do you know that the 2nd only applied to the Federal government until the South lost their war for independence (and the rights of minority federal citizens and the supremacy of the Feds had to be outlined to the states)?

A whole new article was created to outline how states had to treat federal citizens with the same federal rights that the Feds guaranteed.

Still, what is a "well-regulated militia"? How does "keep and bear arms" mean what ever weapons the NRA oligarchs are comfortable selling?
Have you read the 2nd Amendment lately?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

I'm not sure how much more clear it can get. It's my right to keep and bear arms. A militia would be made up of individuals like me. I agree--it doesn't mean that I should have the ability to buy a rocket launcher, necessarily...but in 1776 the average man had access to guns that were comparable to what the military was using. Why is it not reasonable that the same principle would apply today?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Have you read the 2nd Amendment lately?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

I'm not sure how much more clear it can get. It's my right to keep and bear arms. A militia would be made up of individuals like me. I agree--it doesn't mean that I should have the ability to buy a rocket launcher, necessarily...but in 1776 the average man had access to guns that were comparable to what the military was using. Why is it not reasonable that the same principle would apply today?
Vizio, I agree with you.

However, I think there should be some reasonable restrictions on the kinds of guns we are allowed to use, and I think most of the restrictions now in place are very good.

For example, no automatic weapons and no guns with huge clips of ammunition.

I have not fired a gun in over 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality