Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Those are just your ideas.

The point of Paul prophesying about a great falling away shows that this didn't catch God by surprise since God told him it would occur. How did God know it would occur? He is carrying on all by His powerful declaration. God is working all together for good. Just because you don't yet see the good coming out of all the evil does not prove it won't come.
What you fail to understand is that religious fundamentalism is part of the evil. Those who thump the Bible and take it literally (well, except the bits they cherry-picked out of it), those who hate on gays, hate on the poor, champion the precepts of the god Mammon with their right-wing economics, guess what ... even if there were such a thing as God, I very much doubt they will be on the first escalator to Heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
What you fail to understand is that religious fundamentalism is part of the evil. Those who thump the Bible and take it literally (well, except the bits they cherry-picked out of it), those who hate on gays, hate on the poor, champion the precepts of the god Mammon with their right-wing economics, guess what ... even if there were such a thing as God, I very much doubt they will be on the first escalator to Heaven.
Hi Shirina,
How do you know implicitly I fail to understand the evil of religious fundamentalism?
I'm not so sure you can just pick on religious fundamentalism unless of course you mean the fanatic muslims who blow themselves up killing men, women and babies.

I don't think taking the Bible literally causes one to be part of the evil. I take quite a lot of the Bible literally where it is supposed to be but I don't hate on gays or hate the poor etc.

But I think groups like the "Moral Majority" (isn't that an oxymoron?) contribute to some of the evil. They seem smug and Pharisaical and feel they have to push their values on others.

Would you at least believe there is a Great White Spirit?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:43 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
...snip...
Would you at least believe there is a Great White Spirit?
Why "white?"

Old 05-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Why "white?"
Because He's not purple.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Because He's not purple.
How do you know?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Those are just your ideas.
Then refute them. Don't avoid them. You ignored all but one of my points. Was my point about Paul's prophecy NOT just my idea?
Quote:
The point of Paul prophesying about a great falling away shows that this didn't catch God by surprise since God told him it would occur. How did God know it would occur? He is carrying on all by His powerful declaration. God is working all together for good. Just because you don't yet see the good coming out of all the evil does not prove it won't come.
And just because you see eventual good coming out of it doesn't prove that it WILL come. Nor does it erase the fact of the original suffering, or prove its necessity.

I gave you an opportunity in a previous post to deny one or more of the following three attributes of god: omniscience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence. Since you elected not to, I assume you affirm all three. Since your god is omnipotent, he could prevent the crash in the first place. Since he's omniscient, he knew it would happen if he did not prevent it. Since he is perfectly benevolent and loving and compassionate, he would not want it to happen.

Your only way out of this is to claim that god permits lesser evils to accomplish greater goods, in which case I hope that you embrace "the end justifies the means".

Old 05-05-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Then refute them. Don't avoid them. You ignored all but one of my points. Was my point about Paul's prophecy NOT just my idea?

And just because you see eventual good coming out of it doesn't prove that it WILL come. Nor does it erase the fact of the original suffering, or prove its necessity.

I gave you an opportunity in a previous post to deny one or more of the following three attributes of god: omniscience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence. Since you elected not to, I assume you affirm all three. Since your god is omnipotent, he could prevent the crash in the first place. Since he's omniscient, he knew it would happen if he did not prevent it. Since he is perfectly benevolent and loving and compassionate, he would not want it to happen.

Your only way out of this is to claim that god permits lesser evils to accomplish greater goods, in which case I hope that you embrace "the end justifies the means".
"omniscience, omnipotence and omnibenevolence" are not in the Bible. Maybe you have some verses?

How can I deny what is not said in the Scriptures? And if He in fact did have those attributes why would you give me an opportunity to deny them?

Your ideas concerning the three characteristics you attribute to God do not necessarily result in what you believe should.

I'll use your theological words now: Since God is omnipotent, He must have designed the crash and made sure it would occur.

Since He is omniscient, (He doesn't just see the future, He declares it to be so) He not only saw the crash coming but planned it to make sure it would occur.

Since He is perfectly benevolent and loving and compassionate He knew this was the best way to do it. There was no other wiser, more loving way to do it.

Of course the end justifies the means. This book (it's free on line) biblical studies: The Problem of Evil and the Judgments of God - Contents is excellent on explaining all these things. It is entitled "The Problem of Evil and the Judgments of God."

Old 05-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How do you know?
Because He's white.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Because He's white.
Prove it.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Because He's white.
God is white?

Like.... needs SPF 80 white?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality