Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 07:25 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
If you find (for YOU) no evidence that God exists...the ONLY logical conclusion/determination you can come to is either, "I find no evidence", or "I don't know".
ANY other conclusion/determination is a fallacy based in The Argument from Ignorance or Argument from Silence.
A premise of "no evidence" is not a valid premise from the standpoint of Pure Logic/Reasoning.
I don't know if there are humongous dinosaurs living underground here. It keeps me up at night. Heh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 08:12 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Do those "very, very small percentage of people", who "lack the intuitive and perceptive abilities", believe [just as an example], that aggressive childhood leukemia may not be originated/caused by a woman who ate an apple?
I couldn't tell you what any of those people think about that. I know when I was counted among those few for my whole adult life until a few years ago, I believed that aggressive childhood leukemia may not be originated/caused by a woman who ate an apple.
And now that I am Theist and part of the vast majority that perceive the existence of God, I still believe exactly the same about that.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I don't know if there are humongous dinosaurs living underground here. It keeps me up at night. Heh
Sorry about that WS1980. I hope that angst subsides and you can get some decent rest.

But, hey...look at the top of the index...there is a "Prayer for any Worldview" thread (the one with over FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND views). Maybe you could try that.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
So, you presently believe that all non-believers lack certain "intuitive and perceptive abilities"?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
Quote:
Sorry about that WS1980. I hope that angst subsides and you can get some decent rest.

But, hey...look at the top of the index...there is a "Prayer for any Worldview" thread (the one with over FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND views). Maybe you could try that.
Or, we can all curl up with this lovely, inspiring daily devotional:

How to Hate Your Life - Devotional by John Piper | Solid Joys

Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 PM

There is a "strong feeling" in many people's minds that god must exist, a compulsion to believe in god, and it seems obvious to them.

What doesn't ring true to me is that those people who believe in god have some really different beliefs, even in the fundamental nature of what god is supposed to be (other than an all-powerful thing or mostly-powerful thing of some sort).

If you give me one definition of god, I'll say sure, why not, but if you give another I'll say no way. It's so much in the definition. The division between "believers" and "atheists" is such a gray line that it's impossible to draw it. Because there are a million definitions of "god".

Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:

The most views means it's right?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
There is a "strong feeling" in many people's minds that god must exist, a compulsion to believe in god, and it seems obvious to them.

What doesn't ring true to me is that those people who believe in god have some really different beliefs, even in the fundamental nature of what god is supposed to be (other than an all-powerful thing or mostly-powerful thing of some sort).

If you give me one definition of god, I'll say sure, why not, but if you give another I'll say no way. It's so much in the definition. The division between "believers" and "atheists" is such a gray line that it's impossible to draw it. Because there are a million definitions of "god".
Yes...the number of different perceptions of God there are...equal the number of people that have ever perceived "God"...as no two are exactly alike, and unique to each individual.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:09 PM

I think there is a part of everyone's mind that seeks some kind of unification theory. It should be so. We as humans want to think of the "bigger picture". We each see that picture in different ways. To some of us, the only way to validate that is by knowledge. To others it is totally by faith, reading something that "makes sense" to them. For most of us it is something in between.

For many reasons, I reject any belief system that claims to have all the answers. The ones that say there is heaven and hell are the worst. Intimidation is not the answer. Belief systems that try to reject science when it doesn't agree with them are not the answer.

I am atheist mostly because I will not accept any other person's idea of god. I do have my own definition of what truth is, and it is up for re-evaluation every day, as I think it should be for every person. And since I am a scientist by nature, I will never accept a belief system that tries to say scientists are wrong.

Last edited by WoodstockSchool1980; 05-21-2014 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
So, you presently believe that all non-believers lack certain "intuitive and perceptive abilities"?
I don't "believe" they lack those abilities...they just do.
The evidence is that the vast majority do have an intuition and perception that makes them able to discern the existence of "God"...and very few do not. The few that don't...lack what the vast majority do.

Similar to the sense of sight (vision). The vast majority have the ability to see...and very few lack that ability.
The few that are blind, lack the ability that the vast majority possess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality