Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:45 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,924,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
And how does Eusebius know which is properly translated? I can guess the answer to that... He/she doesn't. They ASSUME the one they like is correct, while ignoring the fact that they are just as ignorant as everyone else as to which may be correct, or not. All the while they go on living fantasies in their head thinking they are the only ones who have it right. Religion is the only thing I can think of that actually applauds turning off your brain.
Well, dear friend, it would be nice if you were like God and knew my thoughts from a distance but, well, let's just say you are incorrect as to your summation as to what I assume.

There are ways to find out if a translation is correct or not and it has nothing to do with turning off the brain. In fact it takes an extreme amount of brain power and God giving grace to arrive at a correct translation. Of course no translation can be perfect when going from the Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew into any other language. Something just must be lost in the translation. However we can arrive at a pretty close understanding of what the ancient mss. said. If you'd like to delve deeper into this I'd be more than happy to do that. But I'm not sure it would be in keeping with the original post.

Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 02:49 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,924,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
Ah, yes... The old "you weren't doing it right" maneuver. This trick works on any apostate from any religion. Scientology didn't work for you? You weren't doing it right. Telephone psychics didn't work for you? You weren't doing it right. Baby-killing, slave-owning Yahweh of the Bible didn't work for you? You weren't doing it right.

Poignantly, only one of those three institutions burns you in hell for eternity because you didn't do it right.
Hello rpc1,
You bring a smile to my face whenever I read your rebuttal to my posts.

Let's take for instance the person was upset God never answered their prayers. I don't recall God ever telling believers of the nations under this current administration of grace that He was under any obligation to answer our prayers. Praying is (well it should be) meant to align ourselves with God's will, not make Him align Himself with our will.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:31 PM

112 posts, read 92,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Well, dear friend, it would be nice?you were like God and knew my thoughts from a distance but, well, let's just say you are incorrect as to your summation as to what I assume.

There are ways to find out if a translation is correct or not and it has nothing to do with turning off the brain. In fact it takes an extreme amount of brain power and God giving grace to arrive at a correct translation. Of course no translation can be perfect when going from the Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew into any other language. Something just must be lost in the translation. However we can arrive at a pretty close understanding of what the ancient mss. said. If you'd like to delve deeper into this I'd be more than happy to do that. But I'm not sure it would be in keeping with the original post.

Peace
So what are those ways? Please explain, how do you KNOW, without a doubt, that the version you prefer is the right translation? Because I have to tell you, other people think their version is right and you can't both be right, so please, how do you know? There are more and more people going away from religion everyday, and one of the main reasons is the book is too flawed to be taken seriously if you have the ability to think critically. There is no doubt that the guy in the original post is not the only one who feels that way.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,876,103 times
II find it sad that this person is unable to find love for himself and even more sad that there seems to be no thought of giving it.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:05 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,542,073 times
Quote:
It is just too bad the person has so many misconceptions about God and other things.

Every wonder why the apostle Paul or none of the disciples complained when thrown in prison, beat, stoned, left for dead, in nakedness, in swamps in hunger and thirst? Because they knew the truth. They knew God loved them no matter what. The person you quoted seems to have not gotten the real message.
So if that person were just to figure it out and get it straight, he would be saved. The person didn't get the message, so it's okay that they are suffering. In your book.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,542,073 times
Quote:
Well, dear friend, it would be nice if you were like God and knew my thoughts from a distance but, well, let's just say you are incorrect as to your summation as to what I assume.

Peace
"Dear friend" says the one who thinks it's reasonable that this person is in torture. Eusebius, you're one of the most uncaring people I have ever come across.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:39 PM

149 posts, read 310,339 times
This is a problem with Christianity nowadays .

But Christians tend to think it's your own problem, not that of Christianity. ( Think of the story " King and his new gawn ",
the liers in that story made people believe it's their own problems if they didn't see any gawn " )

Old 05-15-2014, 01:35 AM

14 posts, read 15,145 times
I so sorry but still confident that God is love.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,307,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So which version is "properly translated"?
It's the one that turns this:

Kings 2:23-25

(23)And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

(24)And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

(25)And he went from thence to mount Carmel, and from thence he returned to Samaria.

Into this:

(23)And he then went to Bethel: and as he was going there, some gangbangers in their 20's came out of the city packing AK-47s and a small arsenal of various handguns. The hooligans mocked him, saying, "Get the *bleep* out of our crib, dawg. You don't belong here you old piece of *bleep* cuz if you don't leave, me and my homeys here are going to *bleep* *bleep* cap in yo ass. Got it?"

(24)And he turned back and glared at them and cursed them in the name of the LAWD, hallelujiah! That's when an angelic host descended out of the clouds with M16A1 assault rifles and blew those mother *bleep* away, Lawd have mercy! And it was a joyous day now that an entire gang, 42 of them so far, were dead. Little bastards anyway. The LAWD has judged them unworthy, praise the lawd!

(25)And he went up then to mount Carmel, carefully stepping over the dead bodies and internal organs splattered all over the street. And from there he returned to Samaria.

Uh huh ... and they really ARE doing this. Not to the extreme I wrote here, but they've so far changed "little children" into "young men" and "lads" trying desperately to cover-up the fact that God mercilessly wiped out 42 kids merely for calling a guy "old bald head."

Just like some Bibles are replacing the word "slave" with "servant" again in an effort to make the Bible sound less repugnant.

It's pathetic.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 AM

149 posts, read 310,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witbops View Post
I so sorry but still confident that God is love.
From the viewpoints of other religions, one is cursed or condemned if he/she gets miserable life and desperate prayers unanswered.. BUT from the viewpoints of Christrianity, getting miserable life and
unanswered prayers may be God's love, grace, glory..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality