Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 02:51 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Are you suggesting that you would have gone to jail if your father hadn't spanked you? Well, I don't get it. I was never spanked and I've never been to jail. So why is that? How is it that a person like me, who never really received a lot of discipline, was still able to discern right from wrong and stay out of trouble - and do all the right things - without getting smacked around?

The mere fact that a person like me exists - and I'm sure I'm not the only one - disproves your notion that spankings are absolutely required in order for a child to grow up walking the straight and narrow.

Are you seriously going to sit here and say that my parents diidn't love me because they didn't smack me around every time I failed to obey? Seriously? Because that IS what you're suggesting here.

The impasse in this discussion is that you still have it in your head that the ONLY way to discipline a child is to spank them. Whether they're simply sneaking a cookie before dinner or stealing your wallet to buy drugs, doesn't matter. Spankings all around because that's the only thing you know how to do. Hit.

It's the equivalent of having the same punishment for jaywalking as for serial murder. There is no differentiation between the severity of the infraction and the nature of the punishment. Talk back? Spanking. Late for curfew? Spanking. Don't pick up room? Spanking. Leave toys out? Spanking. Get a bad grade? Spanking. Everything is a spanking - and maybe even something else on top of it so that the kid can be punished twice for the same violation.

Somehow I just find that hard to believe. You felt this sense of security when you were being punished? So does that mean whenever you felt insecure, you did something wrong to earn yourself a spanking, then sighed with contentment as the blows fell? That's the kind of mental image you're painting here with your Norman Rockwell punishment experiences. I'm guessing this is more an adult with super-enhanced hindsight talking. Especially considering it's a known fact that adults in middle-age will often romanticize their childhoods, remembering that time as being far better than it actually was.

If you needed spankings in order to know for sure your parents cared ... well ... something was wrong, that's for certain.
I am afraid your reading comprehension is backwards, I say one thing and you surmise something totally opposite. Please reread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 06:24 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Are you suggesting that you would have gone to jail if your father hadn't spanked you? Well, I don't get it. I was never spanked and I've never been to jail. So why is that? How is it that a person like me, who never really received a lot of discipline, was still able to discern right from wrong and stay out of trouble - and do all the right things - without getting smacked around?

The mere fact that a person like me exists - and I'm sure I'm not the only one - disproves your notion that spankings are absolutely required in order for a child to grow up walking the straight and narrow.
But, but, but, but . . . Shirina . . . you became an ATHEIST!!! j/k

Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
To begin with I am not a Fundamentalist, I am sure that there are atheist who spank their children
I can vouch for perry here, since I am one of those.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:46 AM

Spanking never hurt a child, except for their behinds short-term. I think of the country boy who were disciplined at school by the principal and then disciplined by dad in the woodshed after he had found out from the school.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Spanking never hurt a child, except for their behinds short-term. I think of the country boy who were disciplined at school by the principal and then disciplined by dad in the woodshed after he had found out from the school.
You have no basis to say that spanking never hurt a child. No more than I would have a basis to say that spanking never helped a child. Particularly in the face of plenty of former children testifying that it harmed them.

Sometimes things happen to work in a particular situation with a particular personality but that doesn't mean they're generally good ideas or universally optimal. Nor does it mean that something else wouldn't have worked even better.

What you seem to be nostalgic for is a simple, un-nuanced, black and white "perform ritual X and you'll always get result Y" type of situation. Aside from the inconvenient fact that parenting is far more complicated and with far less certain outcomes than that, even when you walk on water as a parent -- well, the truth is that some children are ill-served by corporeal punishment. I was one of them, there just wasn't enough of it to do me any actual harm. But I can guarantee you that if I had been saddled with parents of the razor-strop beat the devil out of them variety, I would now stand before you a psychological basket-case, a rebel without a cause, or both.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:58 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But, but, but, but . . . Shirina . . . you became an ATHEIST!!! j/k
Heh heh, I thought of that while I typed ...

Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
I am afraid your reading comprehension is backwards, I say one thing and you surmise something totally opposite. Please reread.
I surmised what I did based on what you wrote. Perhaps what you meant to say was lost in the translation between thought and writing. Perhaps rephrasing would help.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Spanking never hurt a child,
And your proof for that claim is.....?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,025 times
Quote:
I believe that a spanking with the hand on the child's behind, that is administered to teach the child the difference between right and wrong, and is given in love for the benefit of the child is approved by our creator, who Himself chastens and rebukes those whom He loves. If we are not chastened, we must not be loved. We all can grow morally by learning that some things are not acceptable to our maker.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
I believe that a spanking with the hand on the child's behind, that is administered to teach the child the difference between right and wrong, and is given in love for the benefit of the child is approved by our creator, who Himself chastens and rebukes those whom He loves. If we are not chastened, we must not be loved. We all can grow morally by learning that some things are not acceptable to our maker.

Hallelujah, finally someone that gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality