Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:10 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,135 times

Advertisements

What is the theist take on the act of cremation?

Does it eliminate the individual from the Rapture (no body to return) or give direct access to an afterlife?

I have never pursued this line of questioning with a theist so I truly do not know what their answer would be, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:16 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
What is the theist take on the act of cremation?

Does it eliminate the individual from the Rapture (no body to return) or give direct access to an afterlife?

I have never pursued this line of questioning with a theist so I truly do not know what their answer would be, just curious.
The Jews buried their people...Most Pagans conducted cremation ceremonies...So, in order to stand out, why do as the Pagans do?...

Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
There are numerous different opinions among us Theist. Every flavor of us seem to have different reasons for seeing it as permitted, forbidden or neutral.

Islam is opposed to it.

We also oppose embalming.

While I do oppose both because of my religious beliefs, I also opposed them during my Atheist years, based upon the Wisdom of Ambrose Bierce

Quote:
EMBALM, v.i. To cheat vegetation by locking up the gases upon which it feeds. By embalming their dead and thereby deranging the natural balance between animal and vegetable life, the Egyptians made their once fertile and populous country barren and incapable of supporting more than a meagre crew. The modern metallic burial casket is a step in the same direction, and many a dead man who ought now to be ornamenting his neighbor's lawn as a tree, or enriching his table as a bunch of radishes, is doomed to a long inutility. We shall get him after awhile if we are spared, but in the meantime the violet and rose are languishing for a nibble at his glutoeus maximus.
The Devil's Dictionary

Old 05-17-2014, 11:49 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,612,989 times
The author Kat Kerr who wrote the book "Revealing Heaven" based off her 10+ years of visits of Heaven, says the father told her to tell us that it is okay to cremate our family members and he wants us to do it. It saves lots of money. Alot of Christians in the past believed it was a mortal sin to cremate because the dust would be scattered all over the earth and God would not able to resurrect the body on the day of reckoning. God says he created Adam out of the dust of the Earth and he knows every hair on our head. He can put all the particles of the body back together whether cremated, boned, etc. Lol.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The author Kat Kerr who wrote the book "Revealing Heaven" based off her 10+ years of visits of Heaven, says the father told her to tell us that it is okay to cremate our family members and he wants us to do it. It saves lots of money. Alot of Christians in the past believed it was a mortal sin to cremate because the dust would be scattered all over the earth and God would not able to resurrect the body on the day of reckoning. God says he created Adam out of the dust of the Earth and he knows every hair on our head. He can put all the particles of the body back together whether cremated, boned, etc. Lol.
To me funerals are a ridiculous expense that serves no purpose. I'm a bit of a naturalist. Simply put the deceased in the ground ASAP with no fanfare, and without sealing them in a tin can or wooden box.

Au Naturel

Old 05-17-2014, 01:17 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
I'm an atheist.

Cremation is my third choice.

My first choice is that my wife just rent a dumpster, and do a thorough cleaning while tucking me away in the bottom under all the junk.

My second choice is that she have me embalmed, as well as fitted with articulated limbs, so that 'I' can be variously dressed and placed around the house as appropriate (standing on the landing in my finest gazing down upon the living room, seated at the holiday dinner table in my favorite sweater, etc.).

My first two suggestions haven't been very well received.

So, cremation it is for me!

Old 05-17-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm an atheist.

My first choice is that my wife just rent a dumpster, and do a thorough cleaning while tucking me away in the bottom under all the junk.

My second choice is that she have me embalmed, as well as fitted with articulated limbs, so that 'I' can be variously dressed and placed around the house as appropriate (standing on the landing in my finest gazing down upon the living room, seated at the holiday dinner table in my favorite sweater, etc.).

I can understand the objection to the first choice. There would be too much risk of being dumped into a land fill in an unsavory neighborhood. some landfills are in pretty nasty areas.

I can't understand her other objection. You could actually be quite useful as a clothes tree or maybe even a plant holder.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
...snip...

...snip...
Weekend At Unsettomati's

Old 05-17-2014, 02:16 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,273,421 times
Quote:
I'm an atheist.

Im a Christian and I'm with you. I told my wife to put me in a hefty bag and throw it in the dumpster. It went over about as well as yours did.

I also think a funeral is a big waste of money. Whatever is cheaper. If that's cremation, then so be it.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:55 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
To me funerals are a ridiculous expense that serves no purpose. I'm a bit of a naturalist. Simply put the deceased in the ground ASAP with no fanfare, and without sealing them in a tin can or wooden box.

Au Naturel
They tried that in Paris hundreds of years ago and it created quite a sanitation issue, not to mention the overcrowded burial grounds having body parts bursting out of them to be dragged around the streets by dogs. That is why they built the catacombs and moved countless bodies underground.

There is a reason for coffins, vaults and other mandated burial practices. It insures the deceased remains put during rainstorms.

Logically cremation makes the most sense IMO from a cost and sanitation perspective. It also gave me the ability to divide the scattering of my wife's ashes between her childhood home and the home we shared. I also offered a portion to her family if they wanted to inter her in an urn so they'd have something to visit, if that was their desire.

As for the various resurrection stories, there is ultimately nothing impeding an almighty god from resurrecting from ashes, given that over the millennia, many believer's bodies have decayed to dust anyway. He can make an exact copy of the original body or miraculously reassemble all the original atoms, his choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality