Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,063 times

Advertisements

I'm not even 12 yet but I have wondered if god is real. I'm now pretty sure he isn't real because it doesn't make any sense. There's no way I actually want to tell my family about that though. My mom is VERY into god and all the things he 'does'. if I told her he doesn't exist this is what would happen 'You will not go on your computer anymore for anything other than school work! Why?! Because it is brainwashing you! do you want demons in your head!'. (something like that, I find it pretty funny until I go to my computer and realize my mom's staring at me..)
She has told me before that if I told her I didn't want to do these things she wouldn't even bother with me anymore about god, I know thats a big fat lie though.. I don't want to wait 7 years until I can be free either.
What should I do during those 7 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 09:22 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon64 View Post
I'm not even 12 yet but I have wondered if god is real. I'm now pretty sure he isn't real because it doesn't make any sense. There's no way I actually want to tell my family about that though. My mom is VERY into god and all the things he 'does'. if I told her he doesn't exist this is what would happen 'You will not go on your computer anymore for anything other than school work! Why?! Because it is brainwashing you! do you want demons in your head!'. (something like that, I find it pretty funny until I go to my computer and realize my mom's staring at me..)
She has told me before that if I told her I didn't want to do these things she wouldn't even bother with me anymore about god, I know thats a big fat lie though.. I don't want to wait 7 years until I can be free either.

Legally you have to wait those 7 years to be "free" so until that time, mind your parents, do what you are told, keep your grades up, toss your dirty clothes in the hamper, keep your room clean and take out the trash.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 05-26-2014 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: Situation has been addressed.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:22 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon64 View Post
I'm guessing they give you food, shelter, clothing, internet access, etc. I would suggest you maybe ought to put up with your Mom. As long as you live in her home, perhaps you ought to respect her enough to grant her the hour or so a week that she wants you go to go to church.

It's amazing how when you're 30 you're going to look back on it and think maybe she wasn't all that bad.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
The above advice is good.

I would simply add that although your folks can make your body attend church, your mind will be free to spend that hour elsewhere. Mine often did. Had some of my best daydreams and writing ideas when parked in a pew.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:32 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Perhaps your mom is "really into God" for a reason. Give her some credit that perhaps she's experienced God in a real way, that you haven't. Don't make the mistake of thinking you know it all.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:39 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Perhaps your mom is "really into God" for a reason. Give her some credit that perhaps she's experienced God in a real way, that you haven't. Don't make the mistake of thinking you know it all.
Or perhaps this kid has a valid insight that these "experiences" are most likely the product of human mind in a way that his or her mother doesn't. Don't make the mistake of thinking you or the mother know it all...

-NoCapo

Old 05-24-2014, 11:03 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
There is a lot more to church than whether God is real or not. I'd suggest that you see if there are not things that you can enjoy whether you believe in God or not. Make the best of what you are required to do is not a bad motto for you now.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:15 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Find some other 'official group' activity (sports? club?) that your mother approves of and supports that just so happens to also take place on a Sunday morning.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:35 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Or perhaps this kid has a valid insight that these "experiences" are most likely the product of human mind in a way that his or her mother doesn't. Don't make the mistake of thinking you or the mother know it all...

-NoCapo
An 11 year old vs. an adult. The odds favor someone with more experience.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Go to church, enjoy the socializing and do what you want when you grow up. Be pleasant, smile, have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality