Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:50 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,130,992 times

Advertisements

Just my view on things:

There are many differences. Not to mention that heaven is more pleasant than earth. But I am referring to other kinds of differences. Like is heaven physical? like the earth is?

Let's assume that "Heaven" is just a general label for a place where people go after they die.

I think that "place" exists in a different dimension. So you won't find physical coordinates (in relation to our physical universe) in order to get there. It's more like you can get there through your mind. It's like your mind is a warmhole or a gateway to that dimension. And once you go "through the door" you enter into this great big place which exists somewhere, but not in our physical universe. (from stories of astral travelers)

I am assuming that the SOURCE ENTITY/Being is this big multidimensional Mind. And we all exist in it. But there are different layers/sections/frequencies of the mind. And some live in one dimension and others live in another one...

From what I know, things could appear as physical in that other dimension just like they do in our universe/dimension.

Afterall, we are all like programs running inside of a big computer and when we see things, it's only because we were programmed to see them. We don't see some things, and it's because we were not programmed to see them. We cannot see a different dimension (from here), which is a good thing, otherwise it would all just become a chaotic confusion.

Imagine a big box with all kinds of coins in them. But it could make your life easier if you separated the "box itself" into sections and divided them and placed each coin into a different section. So the different sections of the God Brain have different experiences, different limitations and different allowances. But they are separated by a divider so they don't all mix together into one lump of chaos.

So each dimension is like a different environment for different sorts of experiences.

Earth like places for example are very limited. But they facilitate certain kinds of experiences which cannot be obtained in other dimensions (like what we call "heaven" for example). That place is more unlimited. And I heard some spirits say that you can't learn some lessons over there and in order to learn them, you have to go to a limited section (earth like, through reincarnation)

This helps me understand why people would want to reincarnate and go "here" to earth where it's unpleasant, why just not sit in a pleasant heaven forever...
But I guess it's like going to school. It's not always pleasant, but if you want to progress, you just make yourself do it. Or it's like training for olympics. If you want to be more than you are, then you have to stretch and make an effort and experience some discomfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:58 AM

774 posts, read 904,884 times
I guess we'll all find out someday.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,823,091 times
Umm --- it's flat?

Alice Sebold has an interesting take on the nature of Heaven in "The Lovely Bones". While reading that, I found myself wondering how it can be "paradise" to have desires that cannot be fulfilled, such as interfering in the lives of the mortals left behind who are harming themselves. It would seem very exasperating, and not much fun at all.

In Heaven, does my favorite team always win the World Series, or does yours win it sometimes? In either case, what fun would that be?

Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 PM

19,868 posts, read 13,389,583 times
There are two basic versions of the afterlife. The linear kind, where you come into existence on earth, die, and go to heaven (or the Other Place) for eternity. This is basically what Christianity, Islam, spiritualism, etc., promote -- most religions, really outside of the East. And the cyclic kind, where you keep returning to earth, aka reincarnation. A variation on this, common in Buddhism, is rebirth, where you as a distinct permanent entity do not survive death, just your karma, a sort of ill-defined bundle of, for lack of a better word, luck that attaches itself to some other hapless individual drawn from the undifferentiated, nondual pool of universal consciousness.

A variant that I don't hear much about but suppose that someone somewhere promotes is an infinite series of existences similar to described in the OP here. It's almost a hybrid of linear and cyclic afterlives.

It always strikes me that almost no one is willing to regard the afterlife as anything other than a Good Thing. Linear afterlives are nearly always to the extreme that the afterlife is a completely fixed and ideal version of this life. This is all far Too Convenient To Be True, in my view. I do not find any of this appealing. I do not want my existence to go on indefinitely if it's remotely like life here on earth, a thing I do not regard as a rational proposition that any sane person would accept, knowing all facts in advance.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:03 PM

7,716 posts, read 12,594,886 times
The complete absence of evil and every possible pure fantasy.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:06 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,442,902 times
With a complete absence of evil, there must a complete absence of free will.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:56 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,036,128 times
I can not even imagine what Heaven is like. I think of it more as a state of being rather than as a place. I simply do not have the ability to give it a physical description.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:59 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,301,977 times
Quote:
How is heaven different from earth?
Earth is real. Heaven is fantasy.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:01 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,950,467 times
No body knows. People talk about fire and hell yet fire is something that can be felt and touched but at death the body decays and turns to dust. Body and drain. People pray toward space but man has been in space and nothing.

All through history man has lied to man so it's kind of hard o take everything at face value. Many religions have gone the convert or die route or enslaved then convert. Is there a heaven or hell? Nobody knows for sure but it doesn't hurt to believe in a better place than what goes on in this existence.

What really messed with me was when someone asked me if heaven was so great why did the some angels want to leave? If they found fault what does that tell me as a mere mortal with only a reference of heaven from a earthly benchmark. Green pastures, rolling streams, and the Cowboys and Yankees win every year. The concept of heaven isn't so easy.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:46 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,524,081 times
What Heaven will look like depends on which heaven, intermediate or eternal, we're discussing. For a glimpse at the some distinctions between the two please read, Intermediate (Present) Heaven vs. Eternal Heaven - Resources - Eternal Perspective Ministries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality