Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You are SO wrong with this.

Your comment only applies to Jews. It has no relevance to slaves that were owned by Jews that came about as a result of wars or other actions.
OK?

First of all, taking POWS as slaves was just something that they did. Do you find that to be wrong? Why?
Quote:
I would hope your seminary would have taught you that. If it didn't, do you need references for professional development courses that would make you more aware of this fact?

Or are you deliberately forgetting this fact?
I absolutely recognize that. But it has nothing to do with the type of slavery that took place in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 03:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
OK?

First of all, taking POWS as slaves was just something that they did. Do you find that to be wrong? Why?

I absolutely recognize that. But it has nothing to do with the type of slavery that took place in America.
Duckin' and bobbin' and eventually, leavin' the thread.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:27 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Other then attributing the origin of the golden rule to Jesus, I don't think you are wrong at all. ............
I actually agree with your take,but then, I don't have to defend the Bible as Inerrant.

-NoCapo
Yeah, I'm glad I don't have to either, wow the hoops those people have to negotiate. I "The Golden Rule," can you tell me where else it is stated in proactive terms, as in "do good" as opposed to don't do harm?"

Old 06-04-2014, 05:35 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Duckin' and bobbin' and eventually, leavin' the thread.
I realize you routinely dodge the tough questions...but why are you leaving?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
`
If you happen to be driving on a particular stretch of road around Auburn, Alabama, you may come across a billboard with an inspiration quote on it – that happens to be from Adolf Hitler. Featuring five beaming fresh-faced youths, the quote reads: “He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.” The only problem being that the man who said that was Adolf Hitler, and he was referring to his Nazi Youth program.

Underneath, the subtext adds an (awkwardly) similar biblical quote found in Proverbs: “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
link
Great, a quote by the greatest institutionalized mass murderer of all time followed up by a quote from the world's greatest institutionalized mass adulterer of all time.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:55 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yeah, I'm glad I don't have to either, wow the hoops those people have to negotiate. I "The Golden Rule," can you tell me where else it is stated in proactive terms, as in "do good" as opposed to don't do harm?"
I had to dig up the ones I was thinking of, as most of them were the negative formulation (more on that in a minute)

MoTzu, who lived roughly 400 years before Christ stated,

If people regarded other people's families in the same way that they regard their own, who then would incite their own family to attack that of another? For one would do for others as one would do for oneself.

In the Mahābhārata we find,

Hence, (keeping these in mind), by self-control and by making dharma (right conduct) your main focus, treat others as you treat yourself.

The other point I wanted to make is that I find the positive form of the Golden Rule to be the less useful formulation. It has a loophole that lets someone argue, for example that conversion by force is good, because if the speaker was destined for hell, they would want someone to force them to believe. I prefer the formulation,

Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.

which does not leave room for imposing on others in a way you think would be helpful without their consent. In general I tend to think in a libertarian way, so I tend to think that the best thing someone can do to me without my consent is to leave me alone

-NoCapo

Old 06-04-2014, 07:20 PM

Good points. Application has always been a problem. As in would you want to be forcibly converted and would a forcible conversion have any real effect in any religious system anyway? Appropriate understanding is the key as opposed to superficial ideas, but that does require getting to know the people one is interacting with....... ooooh, tough.

Never ran across Mo Tzu before, I like what little I saw and it is too bad his influence died out to such an extent. Damn formalists anyway.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
OK?

Please, please, please don't tell me you preach that taking POW's as slaves is A-OK with you and your religion?

That is just wrong. Where do you get your morality from?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Please, please, please don't tell me you preach that taking POW's as slaves is A-OK with you and your religion?

That is just wrong. Where do you get your morality from?
The didoes one must take to promote the idea that all scripture is inerrant.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
That you need to ask this reveals a lot about the lack of understanding of Christ and agape love. It is depressing that you claim to be a seminary trained pastor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality