Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 03:27 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I very much support gun control, banning all private ownership would be okay with me, I've never owned a firearm nor wished to own one.

What would be required would be a constitutional amendment, attempts to legislate them away will always run afoul of that. It does not appear that sufficient support for that exists to get it done, perhaps one day in the future. We apparently have not yet hit the point of being unable to absorb and neglect all the gun related homicides, in our schools or anywhere else. If a shooting a week in our schools isn't enough, if these periodic multi victim massacres aren't enough, if the fact that 67 % of all US homicides involved guns isn't enough, I shudder to contemplate just what sort of carnage would be enough to jolt people into deciding that guns need to be banned.
MK-Ultra...

Old 06-11-2014, 03:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Today makes the 74th US school shooting in the 18 months since Newtown

SOURCE

That comes to be slightly over 1 school shooting in the USA every week for the past 18 months.

Be Honest if there was a school shooting every week in Saudi, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, or any Islamic Nation would you assume it was the result of Islam?
Woodrow, my brother believer in God Almighty,

In America it is the fact that God has been banned from schools that causes these kinds of atrocities. These young people are being taught moral relativism and they conclude that if they commit suicide they escape punishment because there is no afterlife.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:03 AM

446 posts, read 484,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I DID get your implication, Wood . . . I just thought it was a poor example to use. The shooters were not shouting "Praise Jesus!!" Fanatic Muslims routinely shout "Allahu ackbar!!" There is no comparison. By knowing you . . . I now know that they do not necessarily represent Islam . . . but they THINK they do . . . unlike the school shooters. Peace my brother. I did not mean to offend . . . but I was a little offended.
So if they don't shout "PRAISE JESUS", then perhaps they had no God in their life, which apparently makes them Athiests.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:10 AM

446 posts, read 484,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post

In America it is the fact that God has been banned from schools that causes these kinds of atrocities. These young people are being taught moral relativism and they conclude that if they commit suicide they escape punishment because there is no afterlife.
In my opinion, I may not rule the possibility of this being a factor. We may be raising Athiest kids who have no belief in God and some of these Athiest kids end up shooting in schools.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:20 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
There is no basis for this statement whatsoever. Particularly in that it ignores the religious ideation of perpetrators of gun violence, or the actual stated motivations of many such persons.

The true cause of all this nonsense, though, is captured by a recent satirical headline in The Onion, to this effect: "'There's Nothing We Can Do About These Tragedies', says the only nation in which these things happen." I saw a world map last night with various colors representing levels of private gun ownership. There are only two nations with the levels of private gun ownership in the world that obtain in the US. The US, and Yemen. We have these kinds of things happening simply because we refuse to reasonably regulate gun availability, ownership and usage -- even to the point of requiring background checks across the board and having a central ownership registry, limiting military-style weaponry, etc. Because, I guess, we live in terror of falling under the jackbooted heel of totalitarian government in places like Britain, France, Denmark, Norway, etc., where a man can't even fire a machine gun during target practice when he wants to, and where universal healthcare is the sad reality.

It's obvious that short of making every school in the world an armed camp, they are vulnerable to crackpots, and where we don't randomly arm crackpots they can't successfully carry out their fantasies; and where we do, they carry their fantasies out. Easy-peasy.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:27 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
There is no basis for this statement whatsoever. Particularly in that it ignores the religious ideation of perpetrators of gun violence, or the actual stated motivations of many such persons.
Don't you find it odd that so many of these shootings end in suicide? Guys like Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Pretty Boy Floyd or John Dillinger would never have killed themselves because they knew they would be meeting God Almighty in the next instant and face His wrath for all the evil they had done. So many young people today have been led to believe that there is no God, no hereafter, so they see suicide as an easy way out. There is plenty of "basis" for what I'm saying, and our nation is just now beginning to reap what has been sown. "Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind..."

Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Don't you find it odd that so many of these shootings end in suicide? Guys like Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Pretty Boy Floyd or John Dillinger would never have killed themselves because they knew they would be meeting God Almighty in the next instant and face His wrath for all the evil they had done. So many young people today have been led to believe that there is no God, no hereafter, so they see suicide as an easy way out. There is plenty of "basis" for what I'm saying, and our nation is just now beginning to reap what has been sown. "Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind..."
However, it comes down to be the choice of the perpetrator. The individual is the one responsible for his/her choices. Even being too lazy to make choices, is a choice.

We all need to take responsibility for our actions and not have the excuse of being misled by a belief or non-belief.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:

What would be required before advancing a statement such as the above would be a formal study of the killers, investigating their religious beliefs, or lack of the same.

I'm going to guess that you have not conducted any research into this before making your above assertion, which means that you are offering an opinion which lacks backing of any sort.

If I am incorrect with my guess, you can present the information you used in reaching your conclusion. Is there any such data?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:17 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Be Honest if there was a school shooting every week in Saudi, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, or any Islamic Nation would you assume it was the result of Islam?
I would not associate school shootings with Islam because I know these shootings often occur in Christian countries like the U.S.

However, since the heinous 'honor killings' only appear to occur in Muslim cultures, I do associate them with Islam, just like I associate the gang rapes in India with the Hindu religion.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:26 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Woodrow, my brother believer in God Almighty,

Also without the church being a part of young people's lives, these kids have no support system outside of their home which is often broken. Anger festers until it boils over into a violent act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality