Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:16 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

religion is bs that other people tell you and spiritual is bs you tell yourself.

"spiritual" to me just means understanding the connectivity to everything we have. It can be too woo-ish for sure. But it is valid no matter what I think of woo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:46 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Compartmentalizing a particular set of emotional reactions and placing the label "spirituality" upon them does nothing but create a bogus category. What really is the difference between...

A) I found enlightenment
B) I had an idea

A) I was swept up and away by the magnificence of it
B) It was pretty cool.

A) I felt a connection with the entire universe
B) It struck me that we are all in the same boat
Sure it's bogus in the sense that its significance is perceived rather than real. But then so is the subtext that if a man buys the latest car it will render him attractive to women. Or the somewhat more PC modern version which is if a person buys the latest car they will be made popular, cool, hip, etc. This is no more real than spiritual experiences in that sense, but it is a real perception that people have and it's a category of perceptions that it's useful to label and discuss, at least if you're into marketing.

The difference of course is that it's an open secret that creating desire in people for things they didn't even know they wanted, etc., is a trick, whereas spirituality is widely regarded as a fount of genuine wisdom, enlightenment and tranquility. But you see, here I am discussing spirituality and how its value propositions are different from some of the value propositions of Tesla ownership ... which demonstrates that we need SOME kind of handle for the phenomenon.

Or do we? Maybe you're right and we should just call it unsubstantiated hogwash and be done with it, lest we give it the faux legitimacy it craves by seemingly recognizing special pleadings for it.

I don't know that there's a good answer to that conundrum. People tend to be very attached to their perceived deep insights into existence. Front-loaded rejection of their special pleadings doesn't seem like a way to reach them. But sometimes it does seem like conceding that ground up front goes nowhere useful, so you might as well disturb their slumber with a bucket of cold water. I tend to take it on a case by case basis.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:52 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madera23 View Post
it is human beings narcisstic nature that think the entities do not exist.
look at isis and see it is an evil demon that is alive and well in them.
and in everyone who has resntment In them.
wake up to reality.
There are far more prosaic explanations for ISIL and their conduct than demons.

If would be unfortunate if the answer to Fundamentalist extremism were education, prosperity, equality, an end to colonialism and meddling in the affairs of others, providing real hope for the young, etc., etc., and instead of working towards those ends you were engaging in ritualistic prayers for the casting out of demons.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Front-loaded rejection of their special pleadings doesn't seem like a way to reach them.
I don't doubt that the above is true, but in this case my goal has always been escaping their reach. You are dealing here with someone who finds common cause with Oscar Wilde's summation of the human condition.
"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."

For me all spirituality belongs in that latter classification.

Oh, and so does all advertising.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 PM

1,422 posts, read 950,635 times
Quote:
Compartmentalizing a particular set of emotional reactions and placing the label "spirituality" upon them does nothing but create a bogus category. What really is the difference between...

A) I found enlightenment
B) I had an idea

A) I was swept up and away by the magnificence of it
B) It was pretty cool.

A) I felt a connection with the entire universe
B) It struck me that we are all in the same boat
So why are the [A] statements 'bogus' and the [b] statements acceptable to you?

If anything (in relation to 'spirituality') the [b] statements appear to be understated or expressions of the mundane - as if the [A] statements and the [b] statements were statements about different subjects...

Old 05-19-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
religion is bs that other people tell you and spiritual is bs you tell yourself.

"spiritual" to me just means understanding the connectivity to everything we have. It can be too woo-ish for sure. But it is valid no matter what I think of woo.
Ummm...so although you think it is bs you also think it is valid?

Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Or do we? Maybe you're right and we should just call it unsubstantiated hogwash and be done with it, lest we give it the faux legitimacy it craves by seemingly recognizing special pleadings for it.
From what I know about it, spirituality isn't interested in being legitimately recognized...and besides, who or what social sector gets the task of being the ones who legitimize spirituality and why?

Quote:
I don't know that there's a good answer to that conundrum. People tend to be very attached to their perceived deep insights into existence. Front-loaded rejection of their special pleadings doesn't seem like a way to reach them. But sometimes it does seem like conceding that ground up front goes nowhere useful, so you might as well disturb their slumber with a bucket of cold water. I tend to take it on a case by case basis.
Ha ha. Illegitimate.

Quote:
If would be unfortunate if the answer to Fundamentalist extremism were education, prosperity, equality, an end to colonialism and meddling in the affairs of others, providing real hope for the young, etc., etc., and instead of working towards those ends you were engaging in ritualistic prayers for the casting out of demons.
*Chortle* Yet your 'bucket of water' routines are motivated by similar belief structures. The 'demons' are 'ignorance' and the 'remedy' is your version of truth.

Spirituality seems to be just another sickness for you to want to cure.

Last edited by Rotagivan; 05-19-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."

For me all spirituality belongs in that latter classification.
While that is all fair - you have the right not be be tedious - for others it is neither charming or tedious. It is self revealing and helpful in tidying up areas within ones psyche.

Sure, understandably the very concept might appear to be a tedious process best avoided for those like yourself, but sometimes hard work has its own rewards.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
So why are the [A] statements 'bogus' and the [b] statements acceptable to you?

If anything (in relation to 'spirituality') the [b] statements appear to be understated or expressions of the mundane - as if the [A] statements and the [b] statements were statements about different subjects...
No, the statements are expressing the same idea, mundane or otherwise. The difference is that B comes without the spiritualistic hype.

A is B repackaged as spiritualism.

mordant understands, the comparison to advertising was quite apt.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
It is self revealing and helpful in tidying up areas within ones psyche.
So they have decided to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality