Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
From a naked eye, the full moon and the sun look about the same size; however the sun is about 400 times bigger than the moon BUT the sun is also 400 times away from the earth than the moon is THUS strinking a good balance between the formation of day and night due to earth's axial and orbital rotation among the moving solar system.

And all this setup happened .......................... you know, just "randomly".
You've made the ridiculous claim that the comparative angular sizes of the sun and moon govern the length of day and night. Since you're still profoundly confused, I'll simply quote myself from the post where I previously corrected you on this matter:
"Um... the 'balance in the length of day and night' is because the Earth rotates at a steady speed, not because of the ratio of the angular sizes of the sun and the moon.

But thank you for making abundantly clear your considerable scientific illiteracy."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/35012496-post20.html

PS - Thanks for doing so again. It is always useful when creationists demonstrate that they have absolutely no understanding of virtually any aspect of science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Thank you again! I was toying with the idea of saying that ...ll0OoO0ll...may have made that howler in his previous post, but he had at least learned from his mistake and hadn't made the same fatheaded error again...and then I realized that he had.

So as you correctly point out, he (or she) appears neither to understand or be capable of correcting that lack of understanding.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:41 AM

446 posts, read 485,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
There is evidence that we have been lucky (two major extinctions to give us a chance) and also the distance of the moon has changed so it is (arguably) just luck that it is, just about now, the same apparent size as the sun. You are just looking at lucky coincidences and trying to argue that they Mean Something. And so what? Apart from giving a nice view of the corona at eclipses, what's the point?

In any case, even if one conceded that it was some indication of a planning mind behind evolution (in the broadest sense) how does that knock belief in evolution? There could always have been a god involved in it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

As I say, the confusion is on your side.
lol, so it's about luck now.
Well, what can I say? You better be lucky to find out AFTER your death that there is no God who created it all and EVERYTHING is created luckily and randomly, or else, you will probably be very unlucky.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Well, what can I say? You better be lucky to find out AFTER your death that there is no God who created it all and EVERYTHING is created luckily and randomly, or else, you will probably be very unlucky.
Well, if you don't like 'Luck' maybe 'Random factors' will suit better. As to your amusing attempt to play the hellthreat card (you only had two in your hand? -and pretty low values), I'd say you'd better be lucky (if there is a god with a hellfire all ready) to have chosen not only the right religion, but the right sect AND have got all your doctrine straight.

As for me - I don't use luck where I can weigh the evidence and make an informed decision. Which is that Hellthreat is laughable, Religions are neither here nor there and the probability of an afterlife of any kind is rather small.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:03 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,407 times
Quote:
You better be lucky and be worshiping the correct god(s) then

Old 06-12-2014, 10:29 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
Some hold that God didn't make the sun and moon in the beginning when God made the rest of the Universe, but interpret the scriptures of Genesis 1:16 as indicating that they where made on the fourth day.

While I do not subscribe to that prophesy of scripture, apparently science has verified that belief is not only possible but in fact that the sun and moon were created at a later time than the beginning of the universe.
You might want to get a mod to change the title of your thread given that it is unrelated to the content of the thread.

Quote:
From a naked eye, the full moon and the sun look about the same size; however the sun is about 400 times bigger than the moon BUT the sun is also 400 times away from the earth than the moon is THUS strinking a good balance between the formation of day and night due to earth's axial and orbital rotation among the moving solar system.

And all this setup happened .......................... you know, just "randomly".
As Arequipa stated this wasn't always the case.

Just after the Moon was newly formed, it sat much closer to the Earth - a mere 14,000 miles away, compared with the quarter of a million miles today.
Also the earths spin was much faster then - days were about five hours long, but the Moon has a continual braking effect on the earth, slowing down earths spin.

The moon continues to move away from the Earth, at the rate of about 1.5in (3.78cm) per year.

We know this absolutely because we can measure it with incredible precision, due to a mirror that was placed on the moon during the time of the Apollo program - and is used to measure and time how fast light is reflected back.
We can therefore work out how close the moon was in the past.

At time of the dinosaurs, the moon would have looked slightly larger because the moon was closer then.
65 million years ago the length of day was closer to 23 hours...**

**Of course you'd have to believe dinosaurs existed, (strangely given no mention in the bible) and that the earth is more than 6000 years old... ... oh never mind.

Last edited by Cruithne; 06-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: Re- jigged

Old 06-12-2014, 10:30 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
It's no more about luck than is the fact that the millions of raindrops that make up a puddle were just 'lucky' to make a shape that is the perfect mirror image of the hole in which the puddle resides - the falling of the raindrops (like mutations) are random, but the gathering of the raindrops into that puddle via the sorting mechanisms of gravity and the shape of the local topography (like selection) are anything but random.

Well? Are you going to try and explain your confusion that the notion that the comparative angular sizes of the sun and the moon are what cause day and night to be equal in length? No? That's what I figured.

By the way your obvious glee when you imagine that those who do not share your beliefs will suffer great physical punishment as a result says volumes about you - and the lack of creativity in your 'argument' (agree with me, or else!) reveals that you've got, literally, nothing to back up your assertions but thinly-veiled threats.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:42 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:

Except when the moon is only visible to the sun-lighted side of the Earth at night, then it has no affect.

BBC News - Traces of another world found on the Moon

Old 06-12-2014, 10:51 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
By the way your obvious glee when you imagine that those who do not share your beliefs will suffer great physical punishment as a result says volumes about you - and the lack of creativity in your 'argument' (agree with me, or else!) reveals that you've got, literally, nothing to back up your assertions but thinly-veiled threats.
I think we all know that Christianity is NOT a moral belief system. The only reason why Christianity sometimes does good things is because there are good Christians - who would be good whether they believed in God or not.

Thus we have supposedly "good" Christians who go through their lives believing - on some level - that everyone they encounter who isn't a Christian will not only go to hell, but that they deserve to go to hell.

Any Christian who can befriend a Muslim or Buddhist or even an atheist and do all of the things together that friends do while holding to the belief that your non-Christian friend deserves to spend eternity being tortured (and it's the friend's fault, as well), has to be, at least in part, duplicitous, sociopathic, and conceited.

I've often said that one way you can tell that Christianity (indeed most religions) are untrue is because you NEED to be indoctrinated and brainwashed to believe in it. We NEED churches and preachers and religious parochial schools to keep the myths alive, to keep people from waking up one day and realizing no sane individual would believe that people deserve torture simply for not worshiping the right god or joining the right cult. No one would think that - except within the framework of religion. At that point, morality (both objective and subjective) is turned on its ear.

If religion and gods were self-evident, then we would all just naturally believe and the concept of "soul saving" would be ridiculous (not that it isn't already)

Sometimes, when I see someone I know who is a Christian, I have to wonder if, behind that smile, he/she isn't envisioning how I would look bathed in a wreath of tormenting flames and feeling as if some cosmic justice has been served against me.

Last edited by Shirina; 06-12-2014 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: My first draft went to hell for failing to worship the Forum Gods.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM

446 posts, read 485,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
You better be lucky and be worshiping the correct god(s) then
Oh yes, that's where one needs to analyze God by his message. Read the holy books that are claimed by its followers as the message of God, do your research and see which makes sense to you? There is no excuse to that. But hey, I will be able to tell the wrong God that "AT LEAST I tried to find you" instead of saying I outright denied your existence. Fingers crossed for both of us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality