Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 AM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
Oh yes, that's where one needs to analyze God by his message. Read the holy books that are claimed by its followers as the message of God, do your research and see which makes sense to you? There is no excuse to that. But hey, I will be able to tell the wrong God that "AT LEAST I tried to find you" instead of saying I outright denied your existence. Fingers crossed for both of us
Why, what's going to happen if you got it wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 11:48 AM

446 posts, read 484,898 times
lets say if the sun was not this hot, and instead of where it is placed at a certain distance from sun now, we move the earth to about 100 miles away from sun. All your theories will go out of the window as now no matter how you rotate the earth, at whatever speed and at whatever angle, you will prolly have day light all over the world all the time. There will be a HUGE disproportion between the day n night (there will be hardly a night )

So yes indeed, the distance between earth and sun DOES have the imperative effect in formation of day and night and striking a balance in them, together with its controlled axial and orbital rotating factors. But then again, lol all this happened either luckily or randomly - make your choice.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:02 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,444 times
Quote:
Oh yes, that's where one needs to analyze God by his message. Read the holy books that are claimed by its followers as the message of God, do your research and see which makes sense to you? There is no excuse to that. But hey, I will be able to tell the wrong God that "AT LEAST I tried to find you" instead of saying I outright denied your existence. Fingers crossed for both of us
Most atheists were former believers. Thus they can make the same argument - at least we tried to find you, but you were so well hidden that we never did.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
lets say if the sun was not this hot, and instead of where it is placed at a certain distance from sun now, we move the earth to about 100 miles away from sun. All your theories will go out of the window as now no matter how you rotate the earth, at whatever speed and at whatever angle, you will prolly have day light all over the world all the time. There will be a HUGE disproportion between the day n night (there will be hardly a night )

So yes indeed, the distance between earth and sun DOES have the imperative effect in formation of day and night and striking a balance in them, together with its controlled axial and orbital rotating factors. But then again, lol all this happened either luckily or randomly - make your choice.

Nope. Sorry. Reduce the sun to 100th of its size, or not for that matter and bring it a lot nearer or further away - as is the case with other planets. Given that the rate of earth's rotation is as it is now, night and day will be just as they are now. If you are thinking that bringing the sun nearer will somehow make the light spread further into the night side of the earth, you have something to learn.

Quote:
I would guess that almost all of us unbelievers spent decades looking at the various religious claims. Then we, as much as you (or so you claim) put in maximum effort to find the 'Right God' rather than just taking hime the one they were given and closing the mind after it.

I daresay a god would appreciate efforts to find about the facts about the bioforms and how they developed, rather than just insist they were all made in one go, fully developed, and refuse to look at any evidence to the contrary.

You can save these arguments or threats. We have seen them all before and they have no merit or validity or force. They are a crock that holds no water.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-12-2014 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 12:06 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,444 times
Quote:

Day and night are only "balanced" because of the somewhat arbitrary way in which we divided up the days, months, weeks, and years. Even then, there are errors. Besides, day and night are not balanced. Days get longer and shorter as the angle of the earth with respect to the sun changes.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Most atheists were former believers. Thus they can make the same argument - at least we tried to find you, but you were so well hidden that we never did.
Yep, we ALL will have our own excuses on that day of judgement because none of us is perfect.

For me, the message of my creator has been arrived to me in the form of Quran when I pondered upon finding the ultimate truth. So I have convincingly submitted to this force, I think it's a smart gamble.

And you have played the gamble based on the reasons and finding of your own research.

So to you your faith and to me my faith - lets wait and we shall find out after the last curtain falls.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,275,882 times
Gotta love it when people with no understanding of science try to argue against it.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:42 PM

618 posts, read 540,773 times
Hello all.

I have to confess that I don't really understand the point of this thread. Was the sun created after the birth of the universe? Yes...by a lot. In fact, the sun is probably at least a second generation star. Was the moon created at the same time as the sun? No. The moon came much, much later. Beyond the relationship drawn between them in the bible, is there a special relationship between the sun and moon? Not really...at least no more than any other two bodies in the solar system. The same rules of physics apply across the board.

Thanks.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Gotta love it when people with no understanding of science try to argue against it.
The way science works for a believer is this,
First, you believe that there is a creator.
Then you use the knowledge of science, logic, reason etc to try to understand how the creator made all this?
There will ALWAYS be things that you will be able to understand with the help of science and there will ALWAYS be things you won't understand with the help of scientific knowledge, logic, reason etc; however, you will never be able to figure out EVERTHING whether you believe in the creator or not.

For believer, it's recommended to excel in gaining knowledge that benefits humanity and knowledge that helps you figure out how the creator has created things, this will only make you more humble.

The believer believes in creator and then tries to figure out things till his life ends. A non believer does not believe in the creator and tries to figure out things till his life ends. Both of them will never figure out everything; however, the believer is at advantage if after death they both find out that yes there is indeed a creator whom shall we all return. And that's why a believer's heart is always at peace. He knows that he has a creator and he ponders upon the purpose of existence.

If you don't believe in a creator then use ALL the scientific knowledge that humanity has collectively achieved and try to create a grain of sand from nothing. Once you give up, only then you will ponder upon who created this grain of sand?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:17 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello all.

I have to confess that I don't really understand the point of this thread. Was the sun created after the birth of the universe? Yes...by a lot. In fact, the sun is probably at least a second generation star. Was the moon created at the same time as the sun? No. The moon came much, much later. Beyond the relationship drawn between them in the bible, is there a special relationship between the sun and moon? Not really...at least no more than any other two bodies in the solar system. The same rules of physics apply across the board.

Thanks.
Fundamentalists either won't understand this, or will argue ten ways to Sunday that your wrong, or, as I suspect, they will ignore what you had to say as it just does not compute for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality