Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 01:11 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
because it is possibly the only remotely logical theory available for variation of species happening without a God... I don't know if I have enough faith to believe in the "Big Bang", life coming from matter, or matter always existing..
"

It is the only 'remotely logical theory' available bacause that IS how we have come to be. The problem with your mentality in the above comment is that (even if) the Big Bang were some day to be proven completely incorrect, it does not therefore mean that God must be the true source. Finding flaws in scientific data or theory is one thing, but substituting it with God is another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 01:53 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
It is the only 'remotely logical theory' available bacause that IS how we have come to be.
I wouldn't call that exactly flawless mentality either..

I venture to say that both sides are biased according to what they believe about the existence or non-existence of God. Since I already believe in God (for reasons non-science related), thus I believe He was the Creator. Since you do not believe in God, you must believe in the ToE.

(Regarding your "Big Bang" comment, I don't think it will ever be scientifically proven to be incorrect... because it doesn't have any scientific basis to begin with! Much like you think about God... something that's not proveable scientifically can't be unproven either.)

Old 01-04-2008, 02:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolan View Post
Your questions...

I don't know how old the Earth is, and neither do scientists. ...

It's because the natural spontaneous origin of life is scientifically absurd.

Since abiogenesis is so clearly false, ...

We don't have a clue how life originated, but we know exactly what happened once it did get here.

Yes. And the more we learn about genetics, the clearer it becomes that it is scientifically impossible for a species to become a different species. It is also why the number of scientists who discount the ToE has grown substantially over the past several decades. ...

I ask a question about your belief, and you answer about what you 'know'. A non sequitur.

You simply presume that abiogenesis is false. No basis for this presumption. No indication that you are aware of the ongoing scientific research in that field. A non sequitur.

You seem to have no basis for your opinion about genetics and evolution. Blowing smoke. A non sequitur.

So you thereby qualify for my IGNORE list. You are officially deemed a smoke-blower. So God bless you. You might take the time to read the transcript of the recent Dover, Delaware court proceedings regarding the status of the theory of evolution and the reasons why Creationism is not science.

God bless you and your ilk, but you're not pushing your anachronistic, pseudo-rational religion down the public's throat.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I ask a question about your belief, and you answer about what you 'know'. A non sequitur.

You simply presume that abiogenesis is false. No basis for this presumption. No indication that you are aware of the ongoing scientific research in that field. A non sequitur.

You seem to have no basis for your opinion about genetics and evolution. Blowing smoke. A non sequitur.

So you thereby qualify for my IGNORE list. You are officially deemed a smoke-blower. So God bless you. You might take the time to read the transcript of the recent Dover, Delaware court proceedings regarding the status of the theory of evolution and the reasons why Creationism is not science.

God bless you and your ilk, but you're not pushing your anachronistic, pseudo-rational religion down the public's throat.
"Dance, dance, dance."

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Old 01-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
"Dance, dance, dance."

Read closely friend. I'm not the one shying from the controversy. It is our thumper friends.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Read closely friend. I'm not the one shying from the controversy. It is our thumper friends.
Not so fast, PT! Malcolan made some very excellent points which you outrightly ignored. It would be only fair if you would actually reply to malcolan's points, as you so vigorously encouraged him to answer yours.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:33 PM

He won't answer a straight question, so he gets no more attention from me. He has shown repeatedly that he's not interested in the truth.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
He won't answer a straight question, so he gets no more attention from me. He has shown repeatedly that he's not interested in the truth.
Well, let's see if you can do better then him, then.

Here are a few of the points he mentioned..
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolan View Post
Radiometric dating is inconsistent and, in general, results don't agree. That is why this new timetable is so important -- If they agree what the “right” answer is (based on the rock layer), they know which radiometric results to accept, and which to ignore.

For something that claims to know so much about the natural world, yet it wants to separate itself from abiogenesis. The reason for this is obvious.

It's because the natural spontaneous origin of life is scientifically absurd.

Since abiogenesis is so clearly false, most evolutionists want to separate it from the theory of evolution. They want to start with a living cell and proceed from there. But that is cheating. You have to start at the starting line. You have to start with a dead planet that naturally and spontaneously produces the first living thing.

Yes. And the more we learn about genetics, the clearer it becomes that it is scientifically impossible for a species to become a different species. It is also why the number of scientists who discount the ToE has grown substantially over the past several decades.
Thoughts?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:52 PM

"It's because the natural spontaneous origin of life is scientifically absurd.

Since abiogenesis is so clearly false,..."

See any problem with this reasoning? It's an example of begging the question. You conclude what you're already assuming to be true.

The guy only posts conclusions (which read like mere biases), not arguments.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
"It's because the natural spontaneous origin of life is scientifically absurd.

Since abiogenesis is so clearly false,..."

See any problem with this reasoning? It's an example of begging the question. You conclude what you're already assuming to be true.

The guy only posts conclusions (which read like mere biases), not arguments.
We've all posted that way, I'm sure, with a foreknown conclusion. I know I have. Thanks for the tip.

But, to keep this on topic, what do you think about the natural spontaneous origin of life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality