Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,762 times

Advertisements

I have a dear friend who has been in Masterpath for 16 years now. In the past year, I have watched his mind deteriorate into a drone like existance. He is glassy eyed and spooky when discussing anything Masterpath. He says a lot, "I can not discuss that, I have told you too much." in the middle of saying anything about it.

He just came back from a seminar and he said to me, "I know Gary is the true Master, he is the living Master, God." I was FLOORED.

My friend is a very bright, talented person.... but he lives out of his car and has no future goals. He can not hold a job, and is sparadic in thought. He used to laugh and have fun, but lately, he'll sit in his car and read for HOURS the masterpath material. He used to read for about 30-40 minutes each morning, now it's anywhere from 2-4 hours, then he will again in late afternoon and again in the evenings.

He is VERY defensive and very vocal and emotionally abusive when asked questions about Masterpath, and it has evolved to all aspects of our friendship. I am sad, and must end the friendship (he just SCREAMED at me in a public place, and made no apologies for it,but blamed me for asking a simple question, and said I was not worthy of an answer !!!)

My friends and I want to help him, we miss our friend- what can/should we do? Anything? Anyone have insight for me? I have been reading about Masterpath to help bring insight, and I am just in shock at what I am reading. I wish I could grab Gary Olsen around his leather tan neck and shack him. His voice when I hear him talk is incredibly annoying (nasaly) and I can not believe anyone, much less my friend, would believe this guy is a 'living master' and compares himself to Jesus. [/mod]Inappropriate language [/mod]

Ugh, I am so frustrated.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-16-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 02:04 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,370 times
There's not much you can do. While I certainly understand your need to cut off ties with your friend, I would reconsider. You are perhaps one of just a few outside the cult that can help him realize there is another path than the one he is on. Without that connection he may become even more reliant on the cult.

Do you know what it was that attracted him to this group? I've read accounts of people who were promised things like success in life, happiness, a good job, etc.. Sometimes when it's pointed out promises made don't come to fruition a person will begin to doubt and grow disillusioned.

I can surely understand your frustration and sadness. You are a good friend.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 10,762 times
I know he had a very troubled relationship with his father. His dad was not there in his life, and was very emotionally abusive. I really feel that my friend identifies with the male power figure as an ideal of a 'father' figure. I have no idea how to help guide him back into the real world. I am exhausted. I am experiencing the emotional pain. He is being nice today.... but I know that can change at any moment. I so much want to reach him but am afraid he is too far gone. I think with alcoholics or drug addicts there is so much help, but for the 'cult' effected, there seems to be nothing. His immediate family is not an answer for an intervention.... but us.. outside of the Masterpath, we see the distruction, and want to help. It is just so exhausting!!

We adore/love him, but we are all in our late 40's and confused as to how much we really are able or capable of doing.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:31 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Deprogramming and Exit-Counseling

Quote:
An intervention begins with a phone call. A relative or friend of the cultist consults with an exit-counselor. A case evaluation form is mailed to be completed, describing the history of the person's cult involvement, how the family member has reacted to it and what attempts have been made to talk the victim out of their involvement, etc. The case is reviewed by the exit-counselor. Tactics and fees are discussed (fees often amount to several thousand dollars when travel expenses, etc. are taken into consideration). If agreeable to both parties, an initial plan of action is prepared, either overt or covert. An overt plan involves using a direct approach, typically a three-day session with the cultist. For those who are unlikely to agree to overt counseling and discussion, a covert plan is discussed. which often includes a lot of preparatory work, such as arranging circumstantial encounters by the cultist with various former cult members (usually ex-members of other religious groups) who just happen to "bump into" the cultist. These encounters would include sharing a little of their testimony with the cult member, hoping to plant some seeds of critical thought relevant to the cultist's own involvement. Such encounters may be made at bus stops, in the store, at work or even at home, as when "strangers" may be asked to dinner by other family members. The concept is simple: A JW (for instance) does not feel threatened by talking to a former Moonie, but when Moonie mind control techniques are discussed, the JW may begin to sense the frightening similarities between organizations (like his) that, although varying widely in doctrine, are otherwise quite similar in mind control techniques.

When sufficient groundwork has been laid for the covert intervention, the exit-counselor is brought in together with an ex-member of the cult.

An intervention typically lasts 3 to 5 days. It is scheduled for a time when the cult member will be accessible, and when the family or concerned friends will be available for at least three days. The location will usually be a hotel room or any place where distractions will not hinder the conversation. The family informs the cult member on the morning of the first day that they have been concerned that perhaps he has not been fully informed about the organization with which he is involved. The family wants the assurance that he is fully knowledgeable from more than just one perspective. If the cultist afterwards wished to remain in the organization, they explain, that is his decision. They will not force him to leave; they just want to make sure he is doing the right thing. This type of approach, while limiting the counselor, gives the following advantages to the cult member:

The cultist has more control, and can walk out at any time
The cult organization or its leaders will not be vilified
The counselor is non-aggressive and non-argumentative
The family will be present but are instructed not to criticize him
The counselor encourages self-expression and the questioning process
These seem to be Christian resources, but still...

Under Much Grace: Finding An Exit Counselor and Other Help to Help Yourself

Nationwide Support Groups & Counselors ~ My Teen Mania Experience

Cult Help and Information - Leaving a Cult?

From a former member
The Master Questions | A Former Follower of Gary Olsen and

MasterPath & Sri Gary Olsen

Old 06-15-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzyma View Post
I know he had a very troubled relationship with his father. His dad was not there in his life, and was very emotionally abusive. I really feel that my friend identifies with the male power figure as an ideal of a 'father' figure. I have no idea how to help guide him back into the real world. I am exhausted. I am experiencing the emotional pain. He is being nice today.... but I know that can change at any moment. I so much want to reach him but am afraid he is too far gone. I think with alcoholics or drug addicts there is so much help, but for the 'cult' effected, there seems to be nothing. His immediate family is not an answer for an intervention.... but us.. outside of the Masterpath, we see the distruction, and want to help. It is just so exhausting!!

We adore/love him, but we are all in our late 40's and confused as to how much we really are able or capable of doing.
I can certainly relate. I have a relative that has very similar dysfunctional father-son relationship issues. Though this has led him on a different path than your friend, the underlying root cause is the same. Please don't take anything I said as an indictment of yourself. I was only trying to be an encouragement.

There is another thread on this forum from 2009 where a couple of folks talk about leaving Masterpath. I'm not sure exactly how to link it but here is the url; http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...miliar-95.html The poster Still Kicking discusses his trials with leaving and offers some resources.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:20 PM

472 posts, read 385,304 times
It is not easy getting a person from a cult...I know. I too was in a cult 18 years ago. Here is a warning: See the person in the cult standing waist deep in dirty water. He/she is standing in the middle. Do not go into the dirt water to help. if you do, you will also be dirty. Stand on the edge, and shout to your friend..."When you come out, I will help wash you." If he/she does not come out, there is nothing you can do. I hate the evil one, and what he does to humans...he wants nothing but our death.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic View Post
It is not easy getting a person from a cult...I know. I too was in a cult 18 years ago. Here is a warning: See the person in the cult standing waist deep in dirty water. He/she is standing in the middle. Do not go into the dirt water to help. if you do, you will also be dirty. Stand on the edge, and shout to your friend..."When you come out, I will help wash you." If he/she does not come out, there is nothing you can do. I hate the evil one, and what he does to humans...he wants nothing but our death.
I do believe you nailed it. Yesterday I watched in horror a 2014 documentary on Netflix called, I Escaped A Cult. I watched it in part because of this thread and wanting to learn more. There were parts of it that brought me to tears seeing what is being inflicted upon people in the name of God. Those who left did so with what they mustered from within themselves.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:45 PM

472 posts, read 385,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
I do believe you nailed it. Yesterday I watched in horror a 2014 documentary on Netflix called, I Escaped A Cult. I watched it in part because of this thread and wanting to learn more. There were parts of it that brought me to tears seeing what is being inflicted upon people in the name of God. Those who left did so with what they mustered from within themselves.
I believe in the Bible with my whole heart. I was raised a Catholic. By the age of 9 I freed myself of that religion. To the age of 31 I searched for the true religion...I was down to just one...Jehovah's Witnesses.
I was a member of this cult until the age of 60. They used the Bible, word for word. I could not find them to be false...until something happened. I learned my wife had been having many affairs. The body of Elders gave her a slap on the wrist. I don't drink, but I had to do something, so I started smoking, then I stopped smoking. For this I was put out of the Jehovah's Witnesses. As a Witness, you learn to only have other witnesses as friends. I was left with no friends. In the divorce I lost every thing.
Here I was alone, with not even a dime in my pocket at the age of 60. Bad position. I know our God very well. He allows things to happen...he never allows things to happen for a bad reason. it took me a year to get back on my feet. My second year after all this, I started looking for Gods good reason. It had to be a good one. I started to again examine the JW religion. I started examining things they talk very little about...their history. I found why they don't talk much about it. The way the JW's are set up, they have eight elders over the whole religion. They claim everything they say if from god. I found in their history, they have made several prophesies of when this system would end at Gods hand...not one of these came
true. All who understand the Bible know what a false prophet is...one who makes prophesies that do not come true. I know our Father. he would never have false prophets leading his sheep.
Since I was to stupid to free myself of this false religion, God freed me from it. It is a cult, and yes it had a hold on me like all cults have a hold on people. Two years later, yes even four years later...I still had the feeling I should go back. I understand what this young man is going through. I also understand no human can free him from it...here is why: God designed humans to serve him. Within that design is the desire to serve him. Satan uses this against humans big time.
Within all religions, they teach, "We have the truth. If you leave the truth, where san you go?" They all say this. If you were to examine your own religion, and found it was also false? You too would have a struggle getting free of it. I do know this...God will not let his people stay slaves of these false religions...

Old 06-16-2014, 03:06 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Hello everyone!

Just an early-on reminder that which denominations are perceived as being "cults" and those that are not can be a very arbitrary thing. PLEASE be cognizant of the fact that we have JW members on this forum, and NO ONE likes hearing their religious beliefs or denomination being referred to as a "cult." (It's a very emotionally-laden term.....)

It's FINE to disagree with the tenets of JW, but please do so respectfully.

That's all June's asking. Okay?

Thanks,
~June

Old 06-16-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic View Post
I believe in the Bible with my whole heart. I was raised a Catholic. By the age of 9 I freed myself of that religion. To the age of 31 I searched for the true religion...I was down to just one...Jehovah's Witnesses.
I was a member of this cult until the age of 60. They used the Bible, word for word. I could not find them to be false...until something happened. I learned my wife had been having many affairs. The body of Elders gave her a slap on the wrist. I don't drink, but I had to do something, so I started smoking, then I stopped smoking. For this I was put out of the Jehovah's Witnesses. As a Witness, you learn to only have other witnesses as friends. I was left with no friends. In the divorce I lost every thing.
Here I was alone, with not even a dime in my pocket at the age of 60. Bad position. I know our God very well. He allows things to happen...he never allows things to happen for a bad reason. it took me a year to get back on my feet. My second year after all this, I started looking for Gods good reason. It had to be a good one. I started to again examine the JW religion. I started examining things they talk very little about...their history. I found why they don't talk much about it. The way the JW's are set up, they have eight elders over the whole religion. They claim everything they say if from god. I found in their history, they have made several prophesies of when this system would end at Gods hand...not one of these came
true. All who understand the Bible know what a false prophet is...one who makes prophesies that do not come true. I know our Father. he would never have false prophets leading his sheep.
Since I was to stupid to free myself of this false religion, God freed me from it. It is a cult, and yes it had a hold on me like all cults have a hold on people. Two years later, yes even four years later...I still had the feeling I should go back. I understand what this young man is going through. I also understand no human can free him from it...here is why: God designed humans to serve him. Within that design is the desire to serve him. Satan uses this against humans big time.
Within all religions, they teach, "We have the truth. If you leave the truth, where san you go?" They all say this. If you were to examine your own religion, and found it was also false? You too would have a struggle getting free of it. I do know this...God will not let his people stay slaves of these false religions...
If you ever want to bend my ear send me a direct message, domenic. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality