Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 06:15 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Okay within the last year, I have decided to give up on being a practicing Christian after I was raised as one. I don't read the Bible, pray, and am pretty much disillusioned with Christianity. I drink, I party, and am becoming more liberal by the day. But for some reason every few weeks, I get the urge to go to church and I end up going. I usually enjoy being in worship and don't completely tune out the message. Could it be compulsion after going to church nearly every Sunday in my youth? Am I not going to be able to make a clean break from Christianity?

As far as what I think of God. I would place my belief now closer to Deism, meaning after God created everything, he butted out and does nothing today. Do I have hope of getting out of this confusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Okay within the last year, I have decided to give up on being a practicing Christian after I was raised as one. I don't read the Bible, pray, and am pretty much disillusioned with Christianity. I drink, I party, and am becoming more liberal by the day. But for some reason every few weeks, I get the urge to go to church and I end up going. I usually enjoy being in worship and don't completely tune out the message. Could it be compulsion after going to church nearly every Sunday in my youth? Am I not going to be able to make a clean break from Christianity?

As far as what I think of God. I would place my belief now closer to Deism, meaning after God created everything, he butted out and does nothing today. Do I have hope of getting out of this confusion?
I would say - don't sweat it. Think of it as an aesthetic preference rather than something based on factuality and life -changing need.

Perhaps as an analogy, you may have learned to cook your own meals - but you still like eating out. If that's what you like, do it. You don't need to justify yourself to anyone, not even to yourself. If you no longer believe that it is about anything 'real' (deism -aside) that's fine too.

Hope that helps. If you want to q. further, feel free.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I agree with Arq. For some believers, the social and ritual aspects of their belief-system was a positive force in their life, and comforting. If the OP can attend church without cognitive dissonance or any other unpleasant effect, but rather with significant positive effects, then there's nothing wrong with doing so. The effect on me of attending church, particularly ones more conservative such as I grew up in, is mildly negative and utterly boring as it has nothing to offer me intellectually and thus represents a near-total waste of time. But that is just me and my personal inability to suspend disbelief in order to get anything at all out of the process. Rather like someone unable to enjoy watching a movie because its plot has logical holes you could drive a truck through, whereas the next person can simply enjoy it for what it is.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
There are probably many reasons you still have desires to go to church. some possible reasons.

1. Family ties

2. Habit

3. You enjoy the routine

4. You still believe, but have issues with a particular denomination or church leader.

5. You find some level of comfort or fulfillment from church

6. You deeply want to stop having doubts

Recognize you are a seeker of truth. Explore as much as you can and never stop learning. You alone are responsible for your beliefs. do not accept anything as truth unless you personally have found reason to believe. Make your own choices based upon knowledge and free will.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 06-22-2014 at 08:24 AM..

Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
The perception of community?

Old 06-22-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The perception of community?
That may be the strongest reason.

Just my own observation. I find that some Church goers are not believers but have a strong need to be part of the community.

On a personal note. After I stopped believing in Christianity I still attended Church faithfully for at least 3 years. I really did enjoy going to church. I probably would even enjoy it today if I went to one. But, I would be a hypocrite if I did so, so I wont.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:38 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
My best advice is to read and read and read some more on alternative reasoning to fundamentalist Christianity, which is washed up and dying anyways.

But don't give up belief in God. I have said many times that is throwing the baby out with the bath. There is a God who loves you, but it's not the God of fundamentalism. That god was made up by powerful men who assumed high positions in the RCC and later in Protestantism because they lusted after lots of power, prestige and control. They invented this god in their own likeness so they could tell you what and what not to believe in.

Those days are over and their power and influence along with it. Screwballs like Mack Slick, John MacArthur, John Piper, Greg Laurie, Raul Ruiz and the even screwier and corrupt televangelists and the whole bunch of traditionalists are on their way out and they know it. They are desperate and floundering, trying to keep their last vestiges of power and influence intact but they are fighting a losing battle.

Go to church for the social connection. If you get into conversations about religion and you can stomach the deceit, go with flow and talk in their language if it's all just habit that you feel comfortable with by attending church. For heaven's sake don't be honest with them and tell them you're falling away. They will ostracize you.

Eventually, you'll get to a comfortable belief system away from all the fundamentalist garbage in the Bible and find your own comfort zone far as a logical combination of theism, deism, and agnosticism goes.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:42 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
That may be the strongest reason.

Just my own observation. I find that some Church goers are not believers but have a strong need to be part of the community.

On a personal note. After I stopped believing in Christianity I still attended Church faithfully for at least 3 years. I really did enjoy going to church. I probably would even enjoy it today if I went to one. But, I would be a hypocrite if I did so, so I wont.
I would say being a part of a community is a pretty big draw. It is hard to make friends here in DC, so that may be why I like going to this one particular church I've gone to.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I would say being a part of a community is a pretty big draw. It is hard to make friends here in DC, so that may be why I like going to this one particular church I've gone to.
Very understandable.

Can you think of any reason you could not continue attending as a Non-Believer?

Always continue searching and never accept anything without proof. But, at the same time do not throw the baby out with the bath water.

You are receiving some type of benefit, do not give that up unless you find l you are deceiving yourself,

Old 06-23-2014, 03:46 PM

331 posts, read 547,819 times
I feel much the same way. I've almost thought of attending a church as a way to meet people (women especially). Churches are very welcoming and have nicely manufactured social groups. I've found that Alcoholics Anonymous is the same way, which is why I've actually thought of attending AA meetings in my new town (even though I don't have a drinking problem anymore and don't buy into AA's perspective).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality