Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hmmm.... So a bunch of college students are being told they can't discriminate and some Conservative Christians think that's a problem.

I'm not a bit surprised.

Ok with that logic then it is wrong for a group like the Masons to exclude anyone. Groups and clubs are gatherings of like minded people. But under the banner of discrimination, a Christian group MUST accept people who actively engage in a sinful lifestyle. I bet if the roles were reverse and it was a gay group who didn't want conservative Bible believing Christians in their group as leaders, you would have no problem with that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If we are free to shout it from the rooftops then why do atheists get all up in arms if a teacher in school wants to display a Bible verse? Apparently that freedom has borders.
Do you really not see the difference between you,personally and a government associated employee (teacher)?

Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

No it is quite logical. The world is simply awash with too many anecdotes for it to be a viable methodology to accept them all until they are falsified.

The only workable approach is to only accept anecdotes that come with substantiation or can be corroborated by some other form of arguments, evidence, data, or reasoning.

I am glad the real world outside your head does not operate like the one inside it as your methodology would reverse how much of our reality works. For example the highly important human concept of "Innocent until proven guilty". Under your regime people would have to prove their innocence against anecdotal accusations rather than the instigator of such accusations having to prove the guilt of the accused.
No in the real world, the vast majority of the world's population, past and present have believed in a God. It is your side that has challenged traditional beliefs. Since you are the challenger, maybe the onus should be on you to back up your bold claims instead of just sitting back, demanding evidence that will never satisfy you anyways.

Quote:

I am basing it on the knowledge of personal experiences I DO have. The Baseless assumptions were coming from you, not I, in your assumptions as to why such people would travel to such services.
So you have lived in the Philippines and know the culture? I am basing my statements off real missionaries who spent several months among these people.

Quote:

The point however which you dismiss with your one liner "fire and retreat" linguistic failure is that the idea of an Eternal Father figure ruling over the eternal dominion of his perfect son.... is something that would be instantly and horrifically recognizable to anyone escaping North Korea. North Korea is simply the word of Christianity made reality really. It is exactly the state you want to live in in your imagined fantasy after life of Christianity. Only worse because in North Korea you can only be persecuted and victimized for what you do. Under your celestial dictator you can be done so for what you THINK. And your own Jesus character said as much in the bible when he convicted sinners of thought crime for even committing adultery in ones own head.

I fail to see how Christianity which is a faith of seeking righteous, loving and helping your neighbor has anything in common with North Korea.

Quote:

Again with the vegetables. You have not offered me any evidence so how can I be "shutting it down" exactly? Again you are refusing in one breath to give me any and berating me in the second breath for not considering it. This is as dishonest a canard as dishonesty gets from you.

Again you made a claim so you should back it up. You have thus far not highlighted a claim I have made that I have not backed up. Nor can you because I have not made any. I have been evaluating YOUR claims not offering my own.

Do you believe the Bible is a work of fiction? If yes, then prove it. Apparently you still don't understand the difference between evidence and proof. Here is a link to help you:

Evidence vs Proof

Personal testimony is a point of evidence. Period. Do you honestly think if you were on trial, you could tell the judge to throw out a witness testimony against you because it doesn't have an additional evidence attached to it?

"In the law, testimony is a form of evidence that is obtained from a witness who makes a solemn statement or declaration of fact"

Testimony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-07-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do you really not see the difference between you,personally and a government associated employee (teacher)?

Funny I see no law in the Constitution that forbids any government employee from displaying or showing anything associated with religion. What's next, forcing teachers to yank off a cross necklace?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
I bet if the roles were reverse and it was a gay group who didn't want conservative Bible believing Christians in their group as leaders, you would have no problem with that at all.
You would lose that bet. An LGBT group would have to follow the rules just like everyone else.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Funny I see no law in the Constitution that forbids any government employee from displaying or showing anything associated with religion. What's next, forcing teachers to yank off a cross necklace?
You keep changing the topic.
If the teacher wants to display a bible verse on her necklace or wears a cross, there would be no dispute. If she writes it on the blackboard, there would be.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You keep changing the topic.
If the teacher wants to display a bible verse on her necklace or wears a cross, there would be no dispute. If she writes it on the blackboard, there would be.

I only see a dispute if she writes it on the blackboard as part of a lesson plan.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM

37 posts, read 31,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hmmm.... So a bunch of college students are being told they can't discriminate and some Conservative Christians think that's a problem.

I'm not a bit surprised.
So much for separation of State and Church.
And they are indoctrinated by the favoured ideology; one not the other.

These christians must make a choice; Cult of State or become a secret society/underground.
It is not that difficult to do.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:30 PM

19,993 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
I fail to see how Christianity which is a faith of seeking righteous, loving and helping your neighbor has anything in common with North Korea.
You simply refuse to see it. The parallel was drawn up for you quite plainly. God will punish you absolutely and forever for the slightest act OR thought, just as Kim Jung whats-his-name will send you to the gulag for the slightest offense against him. The only reason it seems like such an unfair comparison is that you're used to a patina of love, peace and joy over the top of the rottenness, so you don't have to look at it or smell it.
Quote:
Personal testimony is a point of evidence. Period. Do you honestly think if you were on trial, you could tell the judge to throw out a witness testimony against you because it doesn't have an additional evidence attached to it?
No, substantiated personal testimony is a point of evidence. Witnesses can perjure themselves, or be mistaken. Testimony must be corroborated by physical evidence, other testimony, and all known and established facts of the case. And even then, the jury has to BELIEVE the testimony -- and they often don't. Not all testimony is believable. And we unBELIEVERS are talking about just that: the believability of your testimony.

If witness testimony worked like you claim it does, all you would have to do to get off on a murder rap is to get a couple of friends to testify that you're a great guy who's incapable of murder. They know because it's written in an ancient book that's the official doctrine of the Nice Guy's Society.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
I only see a dispute if she writes it on the blackboard as part of a lesson plan.
I don't want atheist teachers writing "there are no Gods" in the blackboard, it's simply as disturbing as religious messages and meant to insidiously influence others because the person doing it is too insecure to keep their views to themselves and not need to preach them in the streets like the hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality